Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on that one. Though, my story this quarter is a sci-fi that shouldn't be that tough to push out. So, I'll probably only be a little late.

Hope things are going well for everyone. Keep writing.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually 6000 words in and I think I only have one more big scene to write. Not sure if I'm going to need a couple of little ones for support or not. I might actually make the first deadline again.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I sat down to write that last scene and I suddenly have 9000 words. Still my shortest entry yet. I do have one small capper scene and then I'm done.

How's everyone else doing?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at about 3,000 words right now. I probably have another 1,500 to 2,000 to go. That's about the usual length for me.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Good. I have between 5,000 and 6,000 words in an interesting mixture of handwritten pages and heavily-marked, cut-up, and reordered print-outs. I've actually enjoyed working on this story.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
With the story I'm doing fine.

Even though I may try to go over it once more...we shall see.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 06, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm past the 2000 word mark and hopefully picking up steam. I'm afraid the first draft is going to be quite short though.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Egads! I finished - at 10,100 words. Still my shortest, but not by much.
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished at 14,000 words.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Boy, there's some longwinded people in this contest.

Reminds me of some of my first stories. Couldn't write one under 8,000 words, most were above 10,000 I think, if I had to until I wrote three to five under 3,000 now most of mine are 3,000 to 6,000. Of course that doesn't include the 5 twitter stories.

Maybe I should try for a longer one for the next contest. I think I can still do one that long. I'm not what I once was but I am once what I was. Or words that mean that.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never written long, either. I have one story of 10,500 words. Most of mine are in the range of 5,000 to 6,000.

I'm up to 4,000 on my WIP with one scene left to write.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

we're about 5 days till the fourteenth,

Are you going to divide the groups soon so we know who to send to?

No rush, but just wondering,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bwthomason
Member # 9321

- posted      Profile for bwthomason   Email bwthomason         Edit/Delete Post 
I am at 5K now. I would say I have @ another 3-4K to go. Its snowing here today so work from home = work on story! I should have my first draft ready by the end of the weekend.

Brian

Posts: 34 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

For all the bit-chompers...

Group 1:
Writer Dan
Dark Warrior
LDWriter2
shimiqua
walexander
JenniferHicks
aspirit

Group 2:
Owasm
eyegore
bwthomason
Osiris
Ethereon
genevive42

Will keep this at two groups unless we get two more people for crit-swaps. 15 authors is pretty much my critical mass for three groups.

Send out to your group by the 14th if you can. Looking forward to reading lots of great stories this quarter.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here and if someone wants to collate it into other WotF info, please feel free.

I received the following in an email yesterday, and since I seem to remember this being a topic of discussion at Hatrack in the past (but couldn't find the specific topic) I felt it worth sharing.

quote:
...has provided me with your winning hardcopy manuscripts. I would appreciate your sending me those digital files. It is acceptable to make typographical corrections, but there should be no re-writes (or other improvements) in the files that you send.

As we move through our editorial process we send you... the final story as we intend to print it and will get your approval on any editorial work that we have done. Any edits will be minor strictly for clarity. We may need to replace some foul language or make style or consistency changes. With all the different stories and authors' styles we try as much as possible for all stories to follow our house style which makes for a nice book editorially...

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks Ben, that actually answers the question I posted on the WoTF forums last week
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

So, in case of winning, don't make changes to your original story file after you've sent in the story (or keep a copy of the story as submitted). Interesting.

Thanks for sharing, Ben.

dtn
Member # 9174

- posted      Profile for dtn   Email dtn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Daniel and I'd like to get in on this if it's not too late. I have never submitted to WotF before but would like to give it a shot. I have a shorter story at ~3500 words. I will put myself in Group 2 since it has one fewer member.

Group 1:
Writer Dan
Dark Warrior
LDWriter2
shimiqua
walexander
JenniferHicks
aspirit

Group 2:
Owasm
eyegore
bwthomason
Osiris
Ethereon
genevive42
dtn

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I just finished my first draft, coming in at a lean 4,500 words. That's a bit shorter than I expected, but not by much. I look forward to reading what everyone has come up with!
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished my first draft. I'm really loving the story, but the problem is, I don't think it's really a WOTF kind of a story.

So just one more thing to worry about.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Okay, I've sent mine out to Group 2. Let me know if you didn't get it.
bwthomason
Member # 9321

- posted      Profile for bwthomason   Email bwthomason         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the subs are coming in for crit, is there a guidline to what we are focusing on for each round of crits? This is my first time with the group so, I want to make sure I provide the right feed back at each stage of the process.

Brian

Posts: 34 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Everyone has their own style of critiquing. I think if someone wants your critique to have a specific focus, they'll mention it in the e-mail when they send the piece. Otherwise, just do what you do.

If in doubt though, on the first round I'd emphasize story and flow.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, looks like I need to get my story ready with one more look over. But still revising a chapter for the chapter exchange and still taking down Christmas decorations. But I have day or three for those two things.

Or I did. Finished the chapter..well except for a spell check which might take thirty plus minutes.

And the story won't take as long as I thought either once I remembered which one I was going to send for crits. Remembering did take a little time though.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 15, 2011).]

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
LD and the rest of Group 1, my story should be in your Inbox. Please dig it out of your junk folder if it's not.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I've sent my story to Group 1. Please let me know if you didn't get it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I got aspirt's and Jennifer's.

But to add a PS to my last note. What is left of the Christmas decorations isn't much- one hour of work maybe. We could have taken down the life size lighted angel and the half life size lighted star during the week, in ten minutes, but my wife was busy too.

Ethereon
Member # 9133

I've received drafts from genevive42, osiris and dtn.
I'm afraid I'm going to be late with my own draft. Not sure by how much.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine should be sent out tomorrow. So far only my usual things to do on Sunday, well except go look for what writing books they have at Barnes and Noble. And use my 15% off coupon.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

genevive42, my comments should be in your inbox. Let me know if you didn't receive them.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Got 'em. Very helpful - Thank you!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, I sent out my story today,

And I received Donavan Darius'. I believe that's three of them.

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Osiris, my comments should be in your inbox. Let me know if you didn't get them.
dtn, you're up next in the critique que, but I should probably finish my own draft first!

Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks Ethereon and Genevieve for the great feedback.

eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry i havnt been more active the last few days, should have my story and the crits out this weekend.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

My comments should be in your inbox dtn, let me know if you didn't get them.
Critiquing sure is a great way to procrastinate on one's own story.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Critiquing sure is a great way to procrastinate on one's own story.

Hmm. Never thought of it that way. Do you think some people might consider that a plus?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I find critting plus reading and doing post for the various threads on this site both work toward that goal.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Osiris, thanks for the great comments on my story. They'll definitely help.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

It reminds me a bit of exam week syndrome. Term ends and university students are struck by a sudden desire to bake, clean out the fridge, read Tolsoy etc. It makes one feel a little less guilty about blowing off organic chem review, because afterall,you're doing something productive!

I guess the similarity ends there though. Tolstoy won't help a student's chemistry mark, but the time and words spent citiquing build our skills as writers. So, no complaints here! It's been really fun getting to read other people's work too.

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited January 19, 2011).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

This is just getting ridiculous.

So I just finished reading this book (Vicious Grace by MLN Hanover) and there was a point where I was close to the end of a particular chapter, and suddenly something clicked and I said to myself, "This entire chapter is an info dump," but I hadn't realized it because it was all part of conversation, and realization for the characters, and it was INTERESTING. Sooooo cool. And as such, it really inspired me to use this idea for a fantasy story that I had a while ago, and now I have no idea which story I should write.

Is it a bad thing to have too many ideas for stories? How do you guys choose the one you want to write? Anyone else have this problem?

<<sigh>>

Too much time and not enough ideas...wait. Stop that. Reverse it.

Going to try and get to my crits this weekend. I'm really trying. Promise. School is turning up the heat again.

I so totally sound like a broken record. lol.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I envy you, Dan. I strain to come up with every little idea and rarely have more than one at a time.

I've now sent critiques to everyone in Group 1 who sent me a story.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Hey Dan,

I take two things into account when choosing which idea to write on. First, would it suit WotF? I've certainly missed on that, but I'm learning. Second, it has to be grabbing me. This quarter I ended up with an urban fantasy suspense story. I never write urban fantasy, but this story was calling to me. I hope I can pull it off. But I have a better chance of pulling it off if I'm excited about it.

walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry jen-

I'm just finishing my story for group 1,

and started on my crits,

Got distracted on a few small contests I tried and lost, and a few articles that I submitted that I haven't heard back from yet.

I have to admit I was waiting to fill in a detail on my wotf story because I am trying to understand what nanobots are made from, and its an important detail. But I can't find an article on what the heck their composition is. Any help anyone?

I'll send my story out as soon as I finish nit-picking details.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

No apology needed. I look forward to reading your story and your comments on mine, when you have time to send them out.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

I've sent my draft to group 2. Please let you know if you didn't receive it.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am trying to understand what nanobots are made from, and its an important detail. But I can't find an article on what the heck their composition is. Any help anyone?

Start a topic in the Open Discussions about Writing area and see if anyone there knows. People with expertise love to answer such questions.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:

I have to admit I was waiting to fill in a detail on my wotf story because I am trying to understand what nanobots are made from

My story also features nanites, so I did do some research on this. When you are talking about things this small, you have to think on the molecular level. Nanobots are sometimes referred to as 'molecular machines'. Take a look at this, it should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_machine

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Things seem to be going smoothly. I think I sent out all the crits for the stories I have received and I have gotten back two or three for mine. So far it's better than my last story.

But haven't there been one or two new people added on since the last listing of the two groups? I may be getting this mixed up with the chapter exchange group however.

bwthomason
Member # 9321

I sent my story to group 2 saturday morning. Please let me know if you did not get it. So far I have received stories to crit from Etheron, dtn, Osiris and Genevive. I finished Genevive's crit last night and will send it back this afternoon.

Brian

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.