Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm up for a read, Owasm. Send it my way.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Okay whose story is a certain one." ". I've sent three replies-possibly four- from the E-mail that the story came with but they all came back. Awhile back I sent one to them that made it through but it doesn't work now.

I tried to find if it's one of those who dropped out but it would have to have been after they sent the story. And I tried to find the corresponding user name but no success there either.

I could have missed something some place or deleted the wrong E-mail but I checked more than once.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited March 14, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
'dtn'
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Dark Warrior

Assuming that is a response to my note. Thanks.

I read back a few posts and he seems to be still in.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

@LDWriter: Could you delete the title of dtn's story from your post? This is a possible connection between him and his story, which could lead to a DQ. "Technically." Thanks.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

- posted      Profile for dtn   Email dtn         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, sorry if I've caused some problem. I don't check in here as often as I should. If you've sent me something and it bounced, it shouldn't have. Anyway, here are two addresses that should work.
daniel@danieltoddnoyes.com
noyedani@gmail.com

That is of course, if I am the one you are looking for.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

dtn, I sent you two E-mails. Maybe three...the first one would be blank.
dtn
Member # 9174

Got em. Sent you a reply.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

okay dtn I will be sending you my crit in a day or two. Since it's taken me a few days to find out for sure who wrote the story I will have to go over it again....or find my original sent E-mail.

Not that I had much to say as I recall. As I said on the chapter thread either most of you guys have improved significantly or my reading habits are slipping.

dtn
Member # 9174

Thanks LDWriter2. I really appreciate it.
dtn
Member # 9174

How is everyone submitting? Electronic or hard copy? Any concerns with electronic submission?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Last time I did Electronic and had no problems even though I thought I might have. But since the story reached the HM stage, everything must have gone well with the submission. So I will do it that way again.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted electronically. I did the same in the past two quarters. Fourth quarter, no problems. First quarter, I haven't received a result yet.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardcopy submissions had problems in Q1 because of electronic accounts. For example, I had signed up to see what the e-process looked like, but the system considered that a failed sub attempt at the close of the quarter. So, although Joni had acknowledged receipt of my hardcopy sub, she later thought my story was a disqualification. (It was actually a rejection.) This happened to several people.

It might be more efficient to submit electronically.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

Interesting. Sounds like I should just pick one and go with it. Electronic submission will probably be more efficient and easier on me so...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And you can wait 'till almost the very last moment.

Which,, unless I get going, I may have to do. Of course I have gone through most of the crits and made corrections already, there are only one to three I still need to go through. And I think none go into a lot of details.

dtn
Member # 9174

Hmmm. I can't get the electronic submission system to take my submission. I keep getting the error - "We had trouble processing this file. Please rename your file and try uploading it again."
I renamed - changed file types - no luck. Any suggestions...?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The only thing I can think of is: is it the correct format? .rtf or .doc or what ever they wanted. I forget at the moment.

But another idea came to me. Is the title exceptionally long?

Is there a help feature? Or FAQ ?

dtn
Member # 9174

I tried all of the "acceptable file types" and none of them would take. I tried shortening the file name. I tried adding the file type to the file name. I think I tried it all. The funny thing is that it would upload just fine. Then I would press the submit button and would get the error. I'm baffled.
Not sure about the FAQ or Help option. I'll poke around.
Good thing I didn't wait until the last minute to try submitting - I'd be really frustrated right now if I had. At least I have time to sort it out.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
DTN-Do you have any spaces or characters other than letters in the file name? I know that messes up some web forms for submitting stories online.

M

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

Yeah, I tried removing spaces, capital letter, everything.
I should probably just call Joni (is that right) and see if anyone else has had that problem.
I will try once more with a completely new version of the document before I call/email though. I want to make sure there isn't some formatting problem causing the problem.
Do any of you have contact info for her, in case that doesn't work?

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I have from my HM e-mail:

Joni Labaqui
Contest Director
323-466-3310

OR

Contests@authorservicesinc.com

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

Okay -
I copied and pasted into a new blank document. Then did some reformatting - fonts, headers, paragraph indents, to make sure everything matched up. Then, instead of removing all the document properties through the typical inspection that MS Word provides, I only went in and removed the "author" metadata.
Resubmitted, and it finally worked.

Not sure exactly what the problem was but I'm thinking that removing all the document properties using the inspection tool may have messed something up.
Oh well. It's done. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

dtn
Member # 9174

Just got confirmation email saying it was received. Whew...(wipes brow with forearm).
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That's good dtn.
Good success to you. With three places, a couple of us could win in the same contest.

Now for me work on mine.

of course with my older word processor I don't know how to remove all the author metedata or if I can but it seemed to work out okay last time.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine is in, got the confirmation E-mail.

That is a very simple confirmation E-mail too. But it would seem better if it was marked as from WotF instead of Joni. Someone who is new may not know who she is.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

For one of the rare times I feel like cussing myself and i don't cuss. I sent in the wrong version. I named them differently and still got the wrong one.
dtn
Member # 9174

I'm sure that's happened to others before. There must be a way to correct it. What about contacting Joni?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I thought of that, when I couldn't find any way to check on the contest or cancel but it seems like something funny to do.

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I read over on the WotF forum that someone did that in a previous quarter -- I think Joni can help you pull the story and get the right version in (but contact her before the end of the quarter -- it probably gets dicier rules-wise if you contact her after).
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bwthomason
Member # 9321

- posted      Profile for bwthomason   Email bwthomason         Edit/Delete Post 
Locked and loaded...bring on Q3.

Write. Submit. Repeat.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
In by the hair of my chinny chin chin. Thank goodness for e-submissions!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Crash and burn.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll join the ranks of the waiting. Just got mine in. I wasn't part of this group this quarter, but will join in for the fun of the end.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I didn't get any closer to finishing the story that I started this quarter. It'll have to pass on to the next.

Coincidentally though, I got an email last week that a short story I'd submitted to another venue didn't get picked up. Thus, I submitted that one to WotF tonight. Don't know how well it'll go over, as it's fairly religious in nature. Oh well. I at least have a story in.

Now, on to the next.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to make it.
Really thought I would, but I edited the ending (again) and just don't feel comfortable sending it in without putting it away and looking at it with fresh eyes.

That's two quarters in a row with nothing in. =(

However, I wish good luck to those who are in. I'll be watching eagerly with the rest of you.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't part of the group but did exchange a couple of scripts. I am predicting, provided he wrote a satisfying end in his rewrite, Brendan will be a finalist this quarter.

Mark it down.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Sent mine in this morning (Amsterdam time). I'm pleased, as I wasn't certain at all I'd manage to finish a story in time. I didn't edit it as much as I usually like to, but that may be a good thing, eh?
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Good luck on your submissions, guys! I wasn't part of this group (was too late) but I did submit a story. I'm trying not to have any expectations about it though!

And now the fun of waiting begins. Might as well distract myself by working on next quarter's story!

M

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck to the entrants! My story is hanging out with me until I like it again.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I never received a response to my E-mail so it looks like I'm stuck with the version I sent in.

There's next time.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey Joni called me already, they must really like it.

Too bad this isn't the first.

Actually more than likely it was to invite me to the awards ceremony. My wife took the call, and I am assuming it was them even though she can't recall for sure which publisher it was. They haven't called back yet.

I was sort of expecting it even though last year they didn't call.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Wow, you must have really knocked their socks off!

mel

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

hmmm, I thought about how WotF has called me a couple of times to invite me to the ceremony even though they haven't every year. I wonder if they push HM-ers to go.

dtn
Member # 9174

Hmmm. I didn't get a call but I got an invitation via mail. This was the first story I have ever submitted and I doubt they have even read it yet since it's only a few weeks into the quarter. Maybe they are inviting more and more people. Is it possible they have a larger venue? Perhaps they got complaints from people who wanted to go but couldn't so they decided to go bigger...
I don't know?

dtn
Member # 9174

I forgot to say that my invitation is for this year's event - about a month from now.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

This is the second time they called me..if that was them, they still haven't called back...sent an E-mail and a snail mail invite. Niiice snail invitation.

Last year, I think I only got the E-mail.

So either they do that for everyone but sometimes people get dropped so they don't get all three invites or WotF does it that way only for certain people like HMers.

dtn
Member # 9174

Yeah, really nice glossy invitation. Makes me want to take a weekend trip to Hollywood!
I didn't get a phone call or an email though. Just the slick. I wonder if they don't have a full house yet so they're pushing out a few last minute invites to people within a certain distance of the event, just to try and fill up the place.
???

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I received an E-mail that stated the certificates are going out soon. The planning for the ceremony has to been taking up her time.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Time to drag up this thread from the bottom of the page.

KDW (the blue eyed wonder) has mentioned on the WOTF SFF net board that she is chugging along on this quarters entries. Too bad some bozo had to attempt a lame bribery offer to get her attention but she ignore it like the professional that she is.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.