Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02 (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic news Jennifer. Despite my probably brutal critique I quite liked the story. KD writes up critiques on the semifinalists, right?
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
out of curiosity, as I venture to resubmit my HM story to another market, is it a good idea to mention that it took HM in the cover letter or no?
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, I think it was because of your brutal critique that the story did so well. Your comments were spot-on.

Edited to add: Yes, semi-finalists get critiques. If KDW shares any pearls of wisdom that would be helpful to the group, I will pass them on. But my understanding from what Genevive and other semi-finalists have posted is that the critiques can be somewhat nitpicky.

Osiris, I don't ever put in a cover letter that a story got an HM. I wouldn't mention WotF placement unless the story were a finalist.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited June 30, 2011).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks Jennifer. I opted not to do so. And congrats to you! And Genevive, Brendan, and Wordcaster.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Unless it's a Finalist, I wouldn't mention it.

I'm with you a little too, Osiris. I expected better results from this story. But, it's only one opinion. I'll be sending mine off right away as well.

Good luck.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, congratz you guys!! Now I'm really going to be antsy...
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

If you send your story in through the mail, if it is good news do you hear of it via the mail or email?
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I can't say for sure but when I sent in stories via E-mail sometimes I heard both ways and sometimes they just sent the SASE back, with a rejection. So I heard the No sometimes only one way and sometimes both ways.

Other hatrackers may have more knowledge about it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have seriously thought about finishing one of my dragon stories for quarter five. There is one or two that could be at least somewhat different.

Just kidding... about the fifth quarter that is. I know how they work it.

With my writing it may not that much difference anyway so just as well try something stretching.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Got my second HM (on my second entry). Woo! I've got bigger hopes for my Q3 story...ah, the long wait begins.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

genevive42 - You're Trina Marie Phillips, right? Duotrope is listing you as a WOTF acceptance...
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any notes that come with HM as far as critique?

It would be nice to have 1-2 sentences to know what aspect needs to be improved. I am wondering if there is any kind of history of HM's having the possibility of finding a home at a pro market or if the chances are pretty slim.

Congrats to all the other Hatrackers who placed HM or higher.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Duotrope doesn't have a 'places' listing for WotF, that's the only way I see to list an HM, or any level of accomplishment. I figure it should be reported that way because it's not just a rejection. I think I once sent a suggestion to Duotrope to change that. Maybe it'll take a few more suggestions - hint, hint.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I called it a 'rejection' with reservations. I figured it would encourage me to push myself harder in improving my craft. I agree though, they should have 'honorable mention' because lots of contests, not just WoTF, have this category.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Of course it's open to interpretation, but I'd say anything short of a win is a rejection. Semi-finalist, with KDW's critiques, would be personal rejections, and as a corollary, then, non-winning finalists as well. But everything short of the three winners is a rejection.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Grayson. It is open to interpretation on just what HM means, but I figure unless the story is published, then it's a rejection. (Although, I did feel justified in putting down for a personal rejection this time.)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Grayson too and statused mine as such.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

OK, I'm a bit worried and confused. KDW posted this to her message board this morning:

"I finished the first reading yesterday. Now, I'm sorting out the Finalists and Semifinalists."

I've asked her to clarify.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Which quarter did she say that for???

Of course she wouldn't have started with Q3 yet. or be that far if she had.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

KDW has responded to my query over Q2 results, and I am crushed.

"I don't think it could be Semifinalists because I haven't sorted them out yet. Maybe it was some Honorable Mentions?"

So there must have been a mistake. At least I had 24 hours of thinking I was a semi-finalist, and it was nice. I'm going to e-mail Joni now.

Osiris
Member # 9196

Jennifer, I'm so sorry to hear that. It is a cruel twist of fate,but you are going to win this contest some day, this is just a speed bump. All you have to to do is keep at it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

It is too bad... but some HM? is there more than two? Maybe a silver at least?

But they-she seem to be making more of these types of mistakes lately.

Maybe if they start giving out something to those they send the wrong note to. A free anthology maybe.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'm not aware of any other situations like this. I know Snapper tried to pull one over on us for April Fools (and boy he had me going ...) on something similar. KDW did say on her message board that it's still possible I'm a semi-finalist. I'll just have to sit on pins and needles through the holiday weekend, I think.
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about the mistake. I know how happy I'd be to receive a semi-finalist, so I can only imagine how painful getting that taken away would be. Hopefully it turns out even better in the end and you get a finalist instead.

Tom

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
This makes me wonder about the HMs. Having never gotten an HM before, I can't compare to previous ones. But a couple of things are not adding up about the email.

1. It misspelled a word (shiney was spelled shinny)
2. It asked for information that was given on the website. If they knew which email address to send it to, why would they ask for the story title? Or for my name? Or address?

For those that have gotten one before, are such questions usual?

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited July 01, 2011).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

It wasn't just snapper, even though his joke might have been included by my underactive memory-thought processes. But I recall someone saying it happened to someone who is not here.

Maybe it was another contest or a different mistake but I thought something along those lines also happened to some else here. That is not snapper.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And seemed like they asked for my address when Joni said they were going to send a certificate, which I still haven't gotten.

As long as it isn't SS number or credit cards or passwards.

Hey, send us your password and we can place it right on your desk top.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

In the result notification I shouldn't have gotten, Joni mentioned that she will be sending out the Q1 certificates. So don't despair, Q1 HM winners. Your shiney/shinny certificates are still on the way.
genevive42
Member # 8714

This is my second HM and both times I've been asked for my preferred mailing address. I don't remember about the story title, but it doesn't seem that out of place to me. I suppose if in the interim you decided to change your byline, you could. Also, the address confirmation could be for people that moved, or just preferring to receive certain types of mail at a different address. I like to receive most packages at work.

I think it's okay Brendan. I hope so. I responded already.

Osiris
Member # 9196

I imagine all the information we give is in a database that she could look up, but that she e-mails because she wants to know exactly how HMers want the info to look on the certificates. Some might want their pen names on the certificate instead of their real names, or vice versa.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
What would you guys say if I successfully hacked into WotF? ;P

I had nothing to do with the flub ups this time. Last quarter Joni told me she was about ready to jump off a cliff because of all the problems with electronic submissions.

I think my friend steffenwolf had it right. Snailmail only.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think it was on this thread where someone asked if they should list aHM from WotF. Normally the answer seems to be no but I found a market that wants to know if you got a HM or higher. Two days left as of July 5--two cents a word.

http://tinyurl.com/4yf3ns7

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Tom Carpenter is the one putting together that anthology. I would have liked to submit something if I'd had time to write it. But he says it'll be annual, so maybe next year.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that the same Thomas K Carpenter that is part of this circle for 4th quarter?
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Yep.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I thought the name looked familiar but it looks different in big letters compared to the small names here.

Surprised he would pay anything.

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Jennifer, Genevive, Wordcaster, Brendan, and Osiris.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

WHo here has NOT heard anything yet? I wasn't a part of the crit group, I became active on Hatrack a bit too late, but i submitted for Q2 on my own. I haven't heard anything yet...
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that Thomas K. Carpenter is me, yes, that's my anthology listing and finally, yes, I am paying.

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, good for you Thomas.

I have thought about doing an anthology, the absolute most I could pay is five dollars a story and two or three copies though. And only if the stories don't come in all at once. I would do a Urban Fantasy book and maybe one with stories about star freighters. But I would make the world's worse editor.

Speaking of that- kinda of, sort of-- if you haven't already you're about to find out what is wrong with my writing.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'm curious ... who still hasn't heard anything on their Q2 entry?
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Me...... . I'm really trying to be cool about it but failing. I wasn't in your group, found it just in time to be too late . BUt i entered a story into Q2 anyway. I've been submitting for years, so it's not that i"m agonizing over just the waiting part. It's that almost everyone I know who entered has already heard. LOL.
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

This just in from KDW (on the SFF blog):

quote:
Yes, everything is sorted and I've sent the results in. Folks should be getting
calls or emails at this point. I have to write the critiques for the Semifinalists
and then go on to Q3.

So hang in there, Melanie and others...you should hear something within the next few days.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Just heard from Joni (I had emailed her over the weekend), I am not a wiener. Time to work harder on Q4!

Melanie

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Well, gosh, Melanie, we all knew you weren't a wiener. ;-) Sorry you didn't get better news - I was certain everyone who hadn't yet heard was Silver HM or higher.

It's amazing (=insanely frustrating, I'm sure) that results are coming out so piecemeal...Jennifer, Tom, who else is still waiting to hear?

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Sorry to hear that, Melanie. At least you're no longer waiting.

I got an e-mail from Joni a few days ago. The semi-finalist is official. *Big* relief right there.

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

Jennifer, how wonderful! Congratulations!
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

Oh, good, Jennifer, congratz!!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! Congrats, Jennifer!
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
COngratulations, Jennifer!
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.