Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2011 Q02
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
My owasm domain is in the midst of an unsuccessful transition to a new hosting service. I have another email. Those of you who unsuccessfully sent me a story to review, please resend.

As for my story, I am woefully behind. I've moved my house of 19 years this month as well as spending a week at Disney World with my kids and grandkids.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Received crits from genevive42, dtn, and Osiris. Thanks for your help on one I'm having a tough time with.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi eyegore,

Are you still in this? I sent you a quick e-mail and haven't heard back. Did you get it, or did it get lost? I haven't received your story either. I just want to make sure communications are working.

Hope to hear from you.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
All five crits that I've received are now back in their respective laps.

And not word one of my masterpiece has yet been put to pen. Ugh.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

- posted      Profile for dtn   Email dtn         Edit/Delete Post 
Group 2,
If you haven't received a crit from me, I didn't get your story.

Also, I was wondering if it would be more helpful to have new eyes on our stories for the second review (after revisions). We have two groups. Perhaps we should consider a group swap for the next phase.
Is this totally out of the realm of critiquing norms? Thoughts?
dtn

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
That is what we do, dtn.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

Excellent!
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Yeah, dtn. If you were in Group 1 for the first round, you send your revamped story to Group 2 for the second round. And vice-versa, otherwise.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Just to make sure if anyone didn't receive a crit from me say so. Actually, I discovered one I had forgotten about so there should be one I didn't do.

I have received five so far.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished my second draft. It grew.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, I think my next version will be a tad late. Completely forgot we had a deadline here. Too many other stories, chapters, novels I am redoing. Actually it's only one of each but it all adds up.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Looks like my story won't be late after all, it could be early in fact. I had two more days to work on than I thought.

So it's been revised and spellchecked, even though not sure how much that last helps.

genevive42
Member # 8714

My second draft just went out to Group 1. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks all.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I got it and I forgot all about sending mine out. Now it's too late. But I will get it out tomorrow. I was working revising a chapter two of one novel and getting in more time on another novel.

I finally figured out how my MC gets drugged in that second one. It just came to me as she was getting another cool, very low alcoholic drink. The bartender who just came on shift.

Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I'm a bit behind, my life has been a bit derailed lately due to the events in Egypt.
I'll have my draft out to group 2 within two weeks as well as feedback for those from group 1 who have sent me their work.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

In my attempts to suppress the urge to write fantasy and just work on my dissertation...I've finally failed this quarter.

I've had two more ideas for stories that should be really good. The second one broke me and I wrote the first scene. Four more to go till it's done. I really don't want to get kicked out of school, but this is just proving the point that I HAVE TO WRITE!

How's everyone else doing? The only second-round story I've seen so far is from Genevieve and I'm about halfway done with that crit. Anyone else want my thoughts?

Sorry I'm so behind this quarter, peoples. Although, I'm kind of trying to be behind in a way, I guess...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
My story is out to group 2, and I've finished with the critique on Genevive's story which is the one I've received so far.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Migraines, fatigue, and longer commutes than usual have been limiting my personal computer time, and I've fallen behind on critiques and typing a new draft. I still owe critiques to LDWriter2 (Group 1) and genevive (Group 2).If he's still participating, walexander (Group 1) owes me a story and a critique.

There's no chance that my story will go to WOTF this month. Does anyone expect to submit before March?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I'm not worried about submitting before March. I'll submit when I feel the story is ready. The deadlines posted for this group are only suggested. Sort of like telling someone who's chronically late to be somewhere twenty minutes early so they'll arrive on time. Don't sweat it.
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've been thinking about this on and off for the last couple of months...

Since Q2 holds some special significance for me after last year, here's a little offer: If you're in this group, putting final touches on a story to submit for Q2 and want an extra critique from someone who's won a quarter, send me your story (but be aware that my current workload might mean a couple of days to get a crit done). Having won a quarter doesn't guarantee I have some magical insight into things - I'm not Joni or KDW - but I might be able to lend something extra.

Also, if you take the offer up, indicate what you want looked at and/or how brutal a response you want. I'd add a few more caveats but I'll restrain myself...

...anyway, fwiw... just throwing this out there.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Ben, thanks for the offer. I, for one, might take you up on that. But it's going to be awhile before my story is ready for that one last look.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy did I pick the wrong quarter not to throw in my hat.

Ben, has it really been a year already?
Damn, but time is flying.

We need a winner this year so we can have someone in the anthology three years in a row.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the great offer. I may take you up on that. It might be a week or two before I have the (near) final version ready to go. This is very kind of you.

bwthomason
Member # 9321

- posted      Profile for bwthomason   Email bwthomason         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished the last of my group 2 crits last night. I have received 2 stories to crit from Group 1 (Louis and Jennifer) and will start those this week. I will have my revised story out to group 1 hopefully in the next few days.

Thanks for the offer Ben, I will certainly take you up as well. I will send it over when I send it to group 1 this week.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Got your crit BW, thanks!

I wasn't planning on starting my second draft until I had received all the group 2 crits, but I haven't heard anything (crit or story-wise)from Eyegore or Owasm yet. Are they around?

BenM, I'd also love to take up your offer if I can get something together in time. We'll see.

LD and Jeniffer, I received your stories and should have crits to you this week.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I should have my next draft out to group 1 sometimes this week, after which I will start with LD and Jennifer's crits.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

It's been awfully quiet. To quote Pink Floyd, "Is anybody out there?"
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Yep. Right here. I'm doing some rewriting for Q2 and getting a little antsy for results on Q1.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm here too.

Need to start on the final revision of my story for Q2-I think I got all the crits- and crit a story which I am probably way late on. I will be doing that one tonight. Nice story and I may not be able to help much with it anyway.

And waiting for Q1. When I think about which isn't often I think about that the last two stories were rejected in almost record time and how with two others I was sent the rejections after most of the HMs were listed on the blog...back when Joni was doing that on a mostly regular bases.

Make that two stories but I just received one of them a day or two ago.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited February 18, 2011).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

So it nearing the two week mark since I sent the second draft of my story out to Group 1 and I've only gotten two crits back. Is the rest of that group active? If not, I think I've rooted out the most significant things I need to fix, but I wouldn't mind knowing if someone is mid-crit and I should wait for their response. I would like to start on my rewrite sometime this week.

So if you're partway through a crit for me, let me know. If not, don't worry about it. I know we're all busy and I know it's a long story. None of this is a complaint. I'd just like to know where I stand.

And thanks to everyone who's given me feedback. As always, it's been very helpful.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I believe I have received all the crits due and now need to revise my story one more time.

And I think I sent out all of mine except for one. Which should go out tonight or tomorrow.

bwthomason
Member # 9321

- posted      Profile for bwthomason   Email bwthomason         Edit/Delete Post 
I just emailed my revision to Group 1 (and Ben). I have still only received Group 1 stories from Louis and Jennifer, so if anyone else sent one, please resend. I hope to get caught up this week....so long as my wife decides not to go into labor early!
Posts: 34 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey do you have a portable device? If so take it with our stories you may have a few hours at the hospital waiting.

Or use the time to write..talk about inspiration.

Unless you're in the labor room of course, like I was. As I recall my wife didn't take all that long esp. compared to some cases I have heard about.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited February 20, 2011).]

bwthomason
Member # 9321

Haha! I will run that past the boss and see what she says!

She is not due for another 3 weeks, but she has been saying all along that she was going to go early. As uncomfortable as she is, I hope she is right!

This does raise a question though. For those of you with kids, did you have a difficult time finding spare time to write? This is our first and don't get me wrong, my priorities are in order, but in general how did you guys make such a huge transition work?

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I didn't start seriously writing until my youngest was 13 months old. It's never easy to find a balance. Mostly I write when they're in school or asleep.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

I only get time to write after all the kids are in bed and my wife has found something to do that doesn't involve me in any direct way. Otherwise, it's pretty freaking impossible to focus enough to accomplish anything of value. You'll figure it out. It's what writers do.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Congratulations on the impending addition to your family bw!

My own daughter is almost 18 months, and I only started writing while on maternity leave with her, so writing-with-child is the only way I know.

My experience is probably a bit different than many parents. My baby was a slow and frequent nurser her whole first year, so I spent many hours cradling her in one arm and typing or holding a book with the other, simply because I was stuck in one spot and had little else to do (no cable). Now writing is done mainly affter she's in bed, but sometimes while she's playing because she's a very independant kid.

As the father you may be the one dashing around when your partner feels stuck or exhausted, etc, so in some ways it could be a lot harder for you to fit in writing time than a new mother.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm I decided I'm going to take a chance on my Q2 story. Since it was one of two fantasy stories John Jacob Adams, now of Fantasy Magazine, hasn't seen I thought I would send in my Gudknight story to him Sunday evening. Fantasy M. is going to stop accepting submissions for a while next month. Since he hasn't seen any of my stories for a long while I thought I would send it to him now instead of waiting until WotF is finished with it. I already sent in the other one he hadn't seen. Of course it's not much of a chance so I'll probably get it back in plenty of time to send it in to WotF before the end of March.

Now all I need to do is revise it one more time, using all the nice crits I received. Two more coming in but I can add in any new points this weekend.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Second scene finished, third starting with a great opener, and four and five are essentially all plotted out. Slow progress but it's there. Coming up on goal time. Anyone going to be able to get their story out by month-end? Keep banging away, everyone!
Osiris
Member # 9196

There is a good chance I will have mine out by month end or the first week of March.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow, I can read what's in my inbox--what looks like Osiris' and Brian's stories (assuming you both still want me to). Genevive, I read your story a while back but now can't decipher all of my notations. I'll send you the few sensible comments tonight in case they might help.

As for my story, I'm stuck. Group 1 provided some good advice that I don't know how to follow while remaining true to the core elements. With my Magic Eight Ball, maybe I can find enough guidance and inspiration to finish Draft 2 by Monday.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtn
Member # 9174

Just sent my revised story out to group 1 and Ben. I have only received one story so far so if you sent it before, please re-send to me.
When is the submission deadline for this quarter? March 31?

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Just emailed you my comments Jennifer, so let me know if they didn't make it. Received your story DW.

Um, how late is too late to send out a second draft for crits?

genevive42
Member # 8714

March 31st.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Official deadline for this quarter is March 31st; however, the group for Q03 will be going up March 1st.

We don't have a "too late" date posted to send out stories for critique. Just realize that people in the group need a finite amount of time to complete a critique and that as we approach the "real deadline" they're probably going to be working on their manuscripts just as intently as you are and might not be able to get anything back to you quickly. In other words, the sooner you get it out the better. For you.

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Sent my comments Dark Warrior.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

I sent my second draft to the other group. I know it's really late, so I understand if you don't have time to take a look.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Just submitted my final draft to WoTF.

Gulp!

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ethereon, send me your draft and I will send my hideously late one.

If there's anyone else with a desire to read my story, let me know. It's only 3000 words.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited March 09, 2011).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the Q1 HM/SHM list will be published April 11

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited March 11, 2011).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.