Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » re: A little knowledge

Author Topic: re: A little knowledge
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, this one is a short, near-future story. It is less than 2000 words. Any level of critique is fine with me. Just let me know if you want to read the whole thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
David beat his hand against his locker. Another ‘C’ grade for his math paper. He had worked every night for a week on calculus and just for a ‘C’.

“Hey, Dave. Ready for our game?”

David looked up to see Tom standing there with his tennis racquet ready. Tom had no problems getting an ‘A’ in math. He was on the fast track to med school. Nothing was going to stop that.

“Yeah. Come on, I need to hit something.”
The game was closer than normal, but David managed to edge it in the end, despite being out of sorts during the game, missing shots he normally made comfortably.

“Well, it’s a good job your coach did not see that,” Tom said, as they sat on the bench near the courts. “You haven’t played that bad in ages.”

“It’s my damn math grades. You know I need to improve to go to college, but no matter what I do it all looks like hieroglyphics. I’ve tried. God knows I’ve tried. I even tried hypnotism last semester.”

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, send it over.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote: David beat his hand against his locker.

Good. Expresses emotion. Cliche way, but does the job. However, in and of itself, feels empty. Perhaps add a physical reaction, such as pain, a noise, or blood rushing to his hand. Whatever.

Quote: He was on the fast track to med school.

Feels empty. Fast track is a cliche, and the emotion is a TAD too light.

The game was closer than normal, but David managed to edge it in the end, despite being out of sorts during the game, missing shots he normally made comfortably.

“Well, it’s a good job your coach did not see that,” Tom said, as they sat on the bench near the courts. “You haven’t played that bad in ages.”

“It’s my damn math grades. You know I need to improve to go to college, but no matter what I do it all looks like hieroglyphics. I’ve tried. God knows I’ve tried. I even tried hypnotism last semester.”

This entire chunk does two things: A) Very clearly establishes the challenge. B) Is vaguely transparant to the reader

To be honest, I really find the problem worst in the 3rd paragraph. It is so info-dumpy. Aye, it is natural, aye it is effecitivly hidden. But still, my mind reacts violently to the mere suggestion of info dumpage and pulls out.

---------------------

Good. A little tighter, and could be better.
My opinion of course ^^.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited January 06, 2005).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can read it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll mail it to you, but I do think you have suffered enough. I think I owe you big time right now, so if you need anything critted just say so.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You should be the one complaining of suffering, I'm probably the most terrible critic on this board.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Terrible as in you do poor job of critiquing, or terrible as in you don't pull any punches (and so a critique from you can be rather painful)?

Shame on you for being so ambiguous, Survivor.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
At least he didn't say he was the worstest critic around here :-)

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think more in the sense of being terrible...and a critic That's not so ambiguous, is it?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.