Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Greater than Gold

Author Topic: Greater than Gold
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Christmas has already gone past (unless you are Ukranian -- If you are, Merry Christmas!), but I didn't have time to workshop this story before the Hatrack re-write deadline. I have decided I will probably want to send this out later in the year, and knowing how fast I edit and tweak, I'll need all the time I can get .

So, I'm looking for readers to critque this story.

Title: Greater than Gold
Word Count: 2836
Genre: Historical Fiction/Christmas Story

-------------------

Mireia sat quietly as the Bishop finished saying the Sunday mass. The stone church was cold, but it wasn’t just the chill of December that made her shiver. The shiver came from the depths of her soul as the Bishop extolled Mary, the mother of God, and the need for women to lead virtuous lives.

That’s all well and good when you have money, Mireia thought. How am I supposed to lead a virtuous life when my father can barely afford food?

Mireia glanced over at her younger sisters. Even though they were dressed in the best clothes they owned, they looked shabby compared to the children of the wealthier townsfolk.

Idoya and Sarita were too young to remember, but Mireia knew there was a time when their clothes had been new. She remembered eating and being full. She remembered playing without worrying. She remembered having money.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a gander.
-----
Gave it a gander, loved it. Seriously, Excellent job.
I recommend this to everyone, not simply for critique, but just to read it. It'll make you smile.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 06, 2005).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, send it over. I'm always happy to read one of yours.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to give it a look, too. This fragment has a nice quality to it that seems very promising.
Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of up to my neck in critiques right now--I just signed up for another, right before checking out his post [sorry].

I'm going to do some advertising, though.

This is an excellent story. I read it when the Challenge came due. You won't be disappointed if you decide you'd be willing to read for Robyn.

She needs, IMO, a thorough final draft critique. I feel like it's very close to being ready for submission.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to take a look.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a whirl, if you need another reader
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Robyn. I just dropped a critique, so I've gotten some time freed up. I'd love to do a crit for you, if you want me.

Is this version a newer one than the one you sent me at Christmas? If so, resend. If not, I've still got it on file.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the buzz, I'd love to read this, but I don't know if I've got time to do a critique (got several in the queue right now). I'd like to read it, if you wouldn't mind sending it to me on the understanding that I may not get a critique back to you.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota, I haven't made any changes yet, so the version you have is current. Thanks for the offer.

Yanos & Minister, I'll send it over.

Everyone else, thanks for reading.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I should read it before offering another fundamental criticism, but I'll make sending it optional based on whether you think that I'll say something useful (or at least something I haven't already said).
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.