Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » re: To err is human

Author Topic: re: To err is human
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for readers. Just let me know if you are interested. It is a near future story, under 3000 words.

Here's the first 13...
~~~~~~~~~
Michael Carson looked at the neatly cut lawn, manicured into evenness. Suburbia – what the hell was a ‘burb doing truanting. He signaled to his partner, Richard, and they went in.

They approached from the blind side of the house – there would be no easy shots taken when Michael while in charge. To most children truanting was just a game, but there were those who would take advantage of the agents’ exposure. The department had already lost two agents this month. Luthor would have his skin if he took any unnecessary chances.

They halted either side of the door. Michael readied his gun and a flash grenade, while Richard placed the openbug on the door. Within seconds the electronic scramblers had decoded the lock and the door slid open.

Michael threw in the grenade and then stood aside, counting to three under his breath. The sensors on his facescreen showed only one heat trace inside, but even the lowest criminals now had cooldudes, devices designed to fool the sensors.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn. I'm out of town on a gig, but I would love to read the rest of this. Will you include me in the next round of readers?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

I will, if there is one. This is one of my better efforts, so I'm crossing my fingers...
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
It IS good and I think you should be sending it out for publication soon. Very soon.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel Thurot
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to read this as you have an interesting premise.
 | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I can read it this weekend.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give this a go, if you don't mind. For some reason it makes me laugh. Heh, truancy officers with grenades hunting the little rugrats. Excellent! That doesn't make me a horrible person, I hope.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. Being a teacher, I can see this future, .

(Not with my students of course )

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Bit interesting. I'll read it.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Being someone that would have committed mass homicide if it would have kept me out of school, I can see this future too.

Try cutting ", devices designed" out of that last sentence. Same for "the electronic scramblers decoded the lock and".

"Michael readied his gun and a flash grenade," is a bit puzzling. The image just doesn't look right.

Anyway, I'll read it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Do you even NEED any more readers? If you do, I'm up for it. I keep finding myself with time on my hands--particularly since I keep requesting stories for critique and no one bothers to send them. I'm starting to feel like I'm being Hatrack Black-balled.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

Ok, hopefully everyone should have the story by now. If not, please tell me. And I have never blackballed you Djvdakota.
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there would be no easy shots taken when Michael while in charge.

Umm this seemed awkward. "when Michael while in charge"?

I'd like to read this as well. It reminded me of Neal Stephensons Snow Crash or the beginning of Diamond Age for some reason.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see this. I've only been looking at fragments for a week or 2, but this one's got me hooked as well as any! I don't know what's going on yet, but it makes me want to find out.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.