Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » REALITY THESIS CHAPTER TWO

Author Topic: REALITY THESIS CHAPTER TWO
Ryan Brotman
Member # 2360

- posted      Profile for Ryan Brotman   Email Ryan Brotman         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the opening to my first draft of my book's second chapter. Rip it apart. I'm so eye sore from this whole project that I need as much crit as I can get to find where I'm loose. Thanks, and merry shredding.

Also, I'm looking for a couple brave souls to take up looking at the whole chapter. It's approximately nine pages, double spaced in 12 pt., new roman.

Last Note: I'm completely code illiterate, can someone give me some pointers on how to italize and bold text for these bulletins?

Logan walked through the empty, burnished metal halls of the educational sector with the occasional muffled voice breaching the adjoining classrooms to reach him. Everything felt off kilter from having his dampening field on the maximum level for so long. The people conveyors in the public sector would be a welcome convenience.

A spot of the field on his left shoulder fizzled as a finger tapped him. He stopped and turned, surprised to see a girl from Everett’s class.

She said something. Logan still wasn’t used to interpreting words through his ears and he had to concentrate to understand her. He picked up the last part of her sentence,
“—want with you?”

“Excuse me?”

“I asked, ‘What did Everett want with you?’”

Varia, that’s her name. “He just wanted to make sure I knew not to cut him off again.” Doctor Heindric waited for him; perhaps with an update concerning his condition. Logan didn’t want to miss his appointment.

[This message has been edited by Ryan Brotman (edited March 10, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Ryan Brotman (edited March 10, 2005).]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I read chapter one, I'd be glad to read chapter two.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have time to critique the whole thing, but here's a tip on how to format your posts: there's a little link on the left side of the text box that says "*UBB Code is ON." Click on that and it'll tell you what to do.
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Logan walked through the empty, burnished metal halls of the educational sector with the occasional muffled voice breaching the adjoining classrooms to reach him. Everything felt off kilter from having his dampening field on the maximum level for so long. The people conveyors in the public sector would be a welcome convenience. I ASSUME I'D GET THIS IF I'D READ CHAPTER 1.

...BUT IT ISN'T VERY RICH. OK, SO HE'S JUST WALKING, MAYBE IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE. BUT I HAD A CRITIQUERS JUMP ON MY REFERENCE TO "ANOTHER ANONYMOUS HALLWAY" AND SAY: MAKE IT INTERESTING! I CHANGED IT TO A HALLWAY OF RICH GLASSY BROWN ROCK, AND THUS IMPROVED IT.

A spot of the field on his left shoulder fizzled as a finger tapped him. He stopped and turned, surprised to see a girl from Everett’s class.

She said something. Logan still wasn’t used to interpreting words through his ears and he had to concentrate to understand her. He picked up the last part of her sentence,
“—want with you?” I'D STRIKE THE LAST SENTENCE. WITHOUT IT, WE STILL GET HIS MOMENTARY CONFUSION.

“Excuse me?” HE SAID

“I asked, ‘What did Everett want with you?’”

Varia, that’s her name. “He just wanted to make sure I knew not to cut him off again.” Doctor Heindric waited for him; perhaps with an update concerning his condition. Logan didn’t want to miss his appointment.
I DON'T FOLLOW. MAYBE I WOULD IF I'D READ CHAPTER 1.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS: I SHOULD'VE READ CH 1.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Brotman
Member # 2360

- posted      Profile for Ryan Brotman   Email Ryan Brotman         Edit/Delete Post 
Briggs,

Thanks for your input.

I usually would agree with you that I need to make the setting more interesting, but I'm trying to stay true to the character's POV. He's been living there for over a year and it was my thought that he wouldn't find the setting interesting enough to comment on it.

I'm also trying to make the place seem purposefully sterile.

But maybe my attempts to do both of these things are a little too successful and are diluting the environment.

I dunno, I'll leave it up for debate.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with almost everything wbriggs said (sorry, wbriggs, despite what it may sound like, I'm not purposefully bashing you).

"...BUT IT ISN'T VERY RICH. OK, SO HE'S JUST WALKING, MAYBE IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE. BUT I HAD A CRITIQUERS JUMP ON MY REFERENCE TO "ANOTHER ANONYMOUS HALLWAY" AND SAY: MAKE IT INTERESTING! I CHANGED IT TO A HALLWAY OF RICH GLASSY BROWN ROCK, AND THUS IMPROVED IT."

To put that much detail into a scenario like this especially in chapter two (I'm assuming we're in the same general setting as in chapter one… but haven't read it, so I'm not sure) would just be tedious… sure adjectives can be fun, but you have to know when they're also pointless and just getting in the way of what's actually going on.

"“—want with you?” I'D STRIKE THE LAST SENTENCE. WITHOUT IT, WE STILL GET HIS MOMENTARY CONFUSION."

I think you should leave it; it creates better empathy for the character… and just puts you more in his shoes…

"“Excuse me?” HE SAID"

You only need to state who said what when there's so much dialog being thrown around that the reader would get confused about who's talking… Maybe you got confused, but I was still tracking flawlessly…

Ryan: I would be willing to read either or both chapters, if you'd like me to (I'm not willing to read a whole novel while I'm in writing process, but I think I can risk a chapter or two), but I most likely wont be able to get around to it until at least Mon… so if you're eager to get a quick review, you might want to skip me…

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Brotman
Member # 2360

Raven,

That was my thinking behind why I wrote the passage the way I did. Thanks for the feedback.

Daniel Thurot
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I would love for you to send me both chapters (I don't want to be left in the dark from only reading the second).

My email is danielthurot@hotmail.com

| Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I was intending to come back to this one, and didn't. Sorry. Here's my two cents, if you still want it.

The first sentence is kind of awkward. Maybe it's just too long. If you could break it up into two sentences, I think that would help.

"Varia, that's her name" should be in past tense.

"Dr. Hendric waited..." maybe "was waiting"? I'm not sure about this one.

As far as content goes, I agree with wbriggs in that the general impression I'm getting is that it would have helped immensely to have read the first chapter.

If you want me to read it, send it over, but I'm warning you that I'm a bit slow lately, as my computer has been acting up again.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
DatBum65
Member # 2452

- posted      Profile for DatBum65   Email DatBum65         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ryan,

I think the first sentence is too long. I got lost about halfway through it. Could be me…I like short, fast sentences, because I'm on crack. Kidding… There's a certain hook in the second sentence. I think that might be a more powerful opener for a chapter, but perhaps make it pack a little more punch. I've never worn a dampening field, so I'm intrigued. I liked it. Perhaps even give a solid amount of time that he's had the field on max power. 5 hours, 5 days, 2 hours longer than the manufacturer's recommended time… (Shrug…) Up to you.

I had to read this part this part a few times: cut him off again.” Doctor Heindric waited." The suddenness of the switch to Dr. Heindric was a bit confusing. Transition this a little smoother, and I think you've got it.

Without having read the first chapter, I can't say much else.

Thanks,

Thomas…

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.