Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Burr the Bard

Author Topic: Burr the Bard
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay -- my first fragment -- from an old fantasy story I wrote for a writing course in college -- and is really from what could be first chapter in a novella. Pretty typical fantasy setting, but I was mostly looking to produce something light-hearted and fun. Here goes -->

The bard Burr set out from the Muklak village of Dudd about an hour before the rising of the sun. The main street – or rutted, muddy byway bordered by mud-brick hovels – was vacant of life, and would remain so for about another four hours. At that time, the local roosters would waddle from their sleeping places and sleepily crow, “cockle-da-doo, cockle-da-doo.” This bleary racket would awaken pigs, cows, dogs, and other domestic animals, who would in turn clamor for their breakfasts until owners and neighbors were convinced that sleep could not be recaptured
To Burr, the completely disreputable Muklaks were nothing like the civilized peoples he’d lived among previously, and definitely suffered in comparison to his own countrymen of Orallia. Living under filthy conditions, Muklaks slept late, dabbled more than worked, and ate huge ill-prepared meals (consisting mostly of lentils and chunks of unidentifiable meat). Their evenings were filled with singing lively songs, telling obscure jokes, starting dog fights, sleeping in chairs, and, in the late light of the summer, throwing rusty horseshoes at pegs in the ground. The children always seemed to be throwing dirt clods – at dogs, pigs, cats, trees, and even at their own playmates.
That a majority of the world’s best wizards came from Muklak was a great puzzle to Burr, and a source of endless consternation to most other practitioners of the ethereal arts.

[This message has been edited by Lanius (edited April 14, 2005).]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Lanius!

Some interesting descriptions here, coupled with lots of possibilities for humor.

Why don't you try starting this off with the last sentence of this fragement, and keep the current 2nd paragraph in its place. Then take the info from the 1st paragraph and weave it in as you go on. That way you get an immediately interesting start, and will keep the readers attention.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Mike's right about that. The last sentence is the most interesting, and it would be stronger if you snuck the other information in instead of opening with it.

In general I think there are a lot of phrases that could be tightened up and strengthened. For example, in your first sentence, "before the rising of the sun" is wordy and awkward; simply "before dawn" would be stronger. Look at every clause and see if there are words you can eliminate or consolidate. Another example: in "That a majority..." the word "that" is weak, and you've buried the subject of your sentence deep in the middle. Move "Burr" up to the beginning of the sentence. (Something like "Burr had never understood why the majority of the world's best wizards came from Muklak." maybe.) Those two are just examples; I see a ton of opportunities to remove clutter to make stronger and clearer sentences.

Like Burr I am curious about why the great wizards come from this slovenly town. It's a decent beginning; just needs tightening.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
jhust
Member # 2499

- posted      Profile for jhust   Email jhust         Edit/Delete Post 
A few notes:
First sentence too long - too much info being dropped at once
Don't roosters normally crow at dawn, not 3 hours after dawn?
Don't have to make the rooster sound. (just use the word "crow" or something more descriptive)
Sleep could not be recaptured - don't like this very much. "sleep would be impossible", maybe?
I don't think so much attention should be focused on the animals - at least initially. feels like animal farm.
Sprinkle it in as an example of the Muklak's dirtiness
"Dog fights" - where did they get those aircraft?!
"throwing rusty horseshoes at pegs in the ground" - this is kind of over-explanatory.
Last sentence is good - needs to be split and maybe moved to the top as a topic sentence.

Why is the character thinking these things as he is leaving, other than in reference to that last sentence? Make it first so that the rest of your story has more purpose.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your help and ideas. I will get on it as soon as I get chance
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.