Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Emperor's Assassin

Author Topic: Emperor's Assassin
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the first thirteen lines from a short story that I'm editing (about 10k words). I could definitely use some advice, as starting the action is a hard thing for me to do. This is only the first thirteen lines so the 'hook' doesn't end there (if it can even be called a hook)

Alfun could feel the cold steel sliding into his chest, but didn’t panic. As the blade wounded him he could feel pleasant warmth spreading out into his body. Who could be doing this thing for him? He struggled to open his eyes and see. Yet, the harder he struggled the more that his pleasure was replaced by pain. Terror overtook him and he tried to throw off his attacker.

His eyes flicked open and he could feel the cold sweat trickling off of his forehead. It had only been a dream. Despite his pain, he had not wanted it to end. He wanted to know who had been doing that to him. Now, all he had to show for his terror was an excess of sweat.

A pounding on his door shook him out of his thoughts. How long had the knocking been going on?

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest not starting with a dream. I'm trying to get interested in the sword-piercing thing, and almost immediately, I'm in a different place and time with a different issue (knocking). Also, I was immediately kicked out of the story because I couldn't believe being pierced by a sword was pleasant (this was before I knew it was a dream).

What's the story about? It's no hard and fast rule, but that might be a good place to start.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
I see your point, but that leads me to ask for some more advice. The sword piercing is important later in the story and I liked the idea of coming back to it at the very end with the same passage about the same dream. (The story alternates between the present and dreams of something that happened about a year before). Would it be reasonable to have him thinking about the dream as he is walking to the door?

Thanks, Jon

Edit: how about this?

Alfun’s eyes flicked open and he stared at the ceiling. What had he been dreaming about. It had felt so real, but now he hadn’t the faintest idea.
A pounding on his door shook him out of his reflection. How long had the knocking been going on? Had he been woken by the knocking and not by the dream at all? He looked around and saw that the sun had been up for some time. How had he slept so late? He pulled a loose shirt over his head and hiked up a pair of britches as he walked into the front room of his farmhouse. He opened the door on five uniformed men, one of them obviously an officer.
"Alfun, son of Arnor?"
"Yes?"
"As Per the Emperor’s Second Act of Conscription...

Is it bad form to post a different thirteen lines in the same thread? Somebody please tell me if it is.

[This message has been edited by bladeofwords (edited June 15, 2005).]

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Much better. I'd be willing to look at the whole thing if you can wait about two weeks.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, we're asked to post only the first 13 lines. (But a revision is ok.)

I thought your revision sounded reasonable. I wouldn't want an immediate flashback to a dream.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Something about the rhythm of this passage doesn't work for me. My mind can't seem to grasp the flow as I read it. I think part of the problem is your use of the word "had."
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

Wow...how did I not realize that I use 'had' in almost every sentence? How could I fix that without changing the entire story to a different tense?

[This message has been edited by bladeofwords (edited June 16, 2005).]

bladeofwords
Member # 2132

I decided that I would post this here, instead of starting an entirely new thread. I've finished my first edit of the story and would like some feedback. The story is about 9k words . Genre is fantasy. I'm looking for readers of the whole thing. General and specific comments are both welcome.

Jon

benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a read.
The criticism will be more general that word by word analysis.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
KevinK
Member # 2664

- posted      Profile for KevinK   Email KevinK         Edit/Delete Post 
If you dont have the dream sequence in the beginning, be sure to put it in somewhere else. I liked it. The cold steel sliding in...pictured it perfectly, and was amused by his reaction. Drew me in, if for no other reason than to find out why he found some bit of it pleasant. So, if you do drop it, cuz your revision is nice as well, I'd recommend putting it in somewhere else.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, the opening dream sequence sounds like the love scene from a bodice-ripping romance. Did you intend that?
Sorry, but it seemed kind of funny and a little creepy. Reminded me of Yukio Mishima.

Yes, I'll admit, I've read a few bodice-rippers in my time.

And you are all free to now begin your Freudian analysis of my statements.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

Bodice Ripper Enjoyer! Shame! :-)

I sort of meant for it to sound like that. I hadn't visualized it perfectly or as definitely as you just stated it, but the general feeling of sensuality was there.

I'm not sure if you'll be happy with it, but the "bodice ripping" scene is used again.

Jon

Edit: Spaceman and Benskia, I have sent the story and it should be on its way. If you don't get it let me know and I'll send it again.

[This message has been edited by bladeofwords (edited June 23, 2005).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.