Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Cycles of Darkness - A Metaphysical Fantasy

Author Topic: Cycles of Darkness - A Metaphysical Fantasy
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
Cycles of Darkness

by John A. Manley

“Give him your sword,” said Rax. “Now!”

Padel handed over his sword to the traitor.
“I’d sure like to give him my sword in another way.”

“You’re not the first,” replied Rax. “Ten men already tried.”

Rastus, the traitor carried the sword to the vat which the two soldiers behind him had set down. Padel had never seen him up close. He had expected something fiercer. After all that he’s done, he shouldn't look so human.

“How can we trust him?” said Padel as he swung the visor down over his face. He knew he looked a mess. He smelt horrible. He longed to be home. Five years without seeing my son. Mandel would be eight now.

----

Anybody interested in reading the rest and giving some feedback can email me at: jmanley@creativityrising.com. I'd appreciate any comments, and open to harsh reviews. I've spent 130+ hours on this story, so you won't be reading a first draft. I've done my best to bring it to the best I can. Its about 9,000 words in printer rule format.

Thanks in advance.

In creativity rising,

John

www.creativityrising.com
www.innerdrawings.com

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the beginning looks good.

I think the last paragraph is too soon to hit that tangeant.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
This sentence is awkward:

Rastus, the traitor carried the sword to the vat which the two soldiers behind him had set down.

I think it would help if it was two sentences, like this:

The two soliders set down the vat. Rastus, the traitor, carried the sword over....

While that helps the sentence structure, I'm still not sure what's happening. What's in the vat? What is Rastus doing? It would help if you added some explanation here.

I'd be happy to read the entire story if you don't mind it taking about a week to get back to you.

Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting beginning, lots to get us interested - what did Rastus do, and was it really so horrible?

However;

"I'd sure like to give him my sword in another way" didn't work for me. "I'd sure like" comes over as quite specifically US regional idiomatic speech, and "in another way", while it's clear what you're making Padel imply, it just feels clunky.

I agree that the "vat" sentence is clumsy, too.

I didn't like the switch from third to first person dipping into Padel's thoughts. "His", not "my" would work just as well.

Sadly, I don't think I've got time to crit 9000 words at the moment. If that changes, I'll let you know.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvus
Member # 2632

- posted      Profile for Corvus   Email Corvus         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be fast, but I'd also like to read.

There's a temporary tense change after "He had expected something fiercer" that I think is a switch to Padel's thoughts; it's awkward. By the way, are there italics in here that aren't showing up? I just realized that might explain my and tchernabyelo's comments.

I like the "Now!" at the beginning; it worked as a hook for me. It seemed out of place with the tone of the rest of the dialogue, though.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem here is that I don't know what's going on.

I don't know why Padel should give the traitor his sword; who Rax is in relation to Padel; what Rastus did; what they're trusting him with; or where they are. In short, I don't know the parts I really care about! OSC's advice: just tell us. Up front, either in an initial paragraph, or as soon as a question arises. Referring to "what [Rastus] did": that is the perfect time to tell us. Then we can care.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Is everyone else seeing the bizarre font defaults happening in this post ie:
quote:

“Give him your sword,? said Rax. “Now!?

All the double quotes turning into strange characters or is it something to do with me being on a Mac?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what it is, but I think it's the same problem that required Shendulfea (with umlaut and accent marks) to have to reregister because the Hatrack software suddenly started acting crazy about such things.

Anyone know if these might have something to do with ASCII codes?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good! I was afraid it was just me! I thought either my computer was going bad (which is beginning to happen), or perhaps I was seeing the equivelent of dead people...

Yes, I'm seeing the weirdo marks. I'm using regular "quote" marks as I type in the reply box, rather than using ASCII characters. I haven't noticed problems HERE with what I've written. My Word documents I've been sending out for critiques are another matter...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
John, I'd take a read at this if you don't mind if I can't get it right back to you. You can email me at: buce at charter.net. Put Hatrack in the subject line.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be a strange font on the PC that the writer used.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be MS Word or similar "smart quotes" that the software here doesn't recognise.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, did that happen around the time that you plugged the "extended ascii white-space characters" hack?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. I'm not sure the timing matches up quite right though.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.