Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dragon Feasts

Author Topic: Dragon Feasts
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
(This is probably not a good title; sorry, the title tends to come last).
Anyway, I'm looking for comments on this opening, as well as readers for the whole thing, which clocks up at something like 6000 words currently, in a pretty rough draft.
Thanks in advance.
#
Dragons gathered in the sky overhead, dancing amidst the grey, heavy clouds. Mei-Lin, busy grinding a human skull into powder, did no more than glance at them. Her son was coming to her, and wherever her son went, dragons and rain followed. Because of her. Because she had stood by while they made a god of him.
Time to work changes, she thought. On the hearth, the mortality potion, a mixture of turtle scales, ginger roots and wrinkled tea leaves, had started to boil, its colour deepening with each cluster of bubbles.
By the time Mei-Lin had finished, her hands were covered in grey powder. She emptied the contents of the mortar into the liquid, brushed her hands above, as if washing them.

(edited to make it less confusing)

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited October 31, 2005).]

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Too much is veiled currently. You should rouse my curiousity by making me want to know what happens next, not wonder why it is happening or who our MC really is.

Not that every story has to be open about everything all the time. It is usually okay to keep some questions unanswered but this beginning left me with one too many.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Yeah, you're right. It is quite confused. I'll edit it to make things a little clearer.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I like this opening. But the hook for me was the second sentence. I'd start there and word it thusly:

Mei-Lin, busy grinding a human skull into powder, did no more than glance at the dragons gathered in the sky overhead, dancing amidst the grey, heavy clouds.

I'm willing to read if you're not in a hurry for a reply. It usually takes me 3 to 10 days to crit something of this length.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the second sentence, its a good first sentence.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd certainly read on; but yes, the initial hook is the "grinding a human skull", but then that gets (pretty much) explained straight away - however by then I'm intrigued enough by the setting to want to know how it's going to turn out.

I'm not sure I have time at the moment to critique 6000 words at rought draft stage, though.

I'll get back to you if I think I can do it.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read for you.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting beginning. I always like your stories anyway. You can send it to me if you are not in a hurry(It may be a couple of weeks) -- I'm a little tied up right now, or you can wait and send me the next draft if you plan to post it. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Dude, thanks a lot for the offer! If you don't mind, I'll keep you aside for the next draft, in order to have a fresh pair of eyes look at it after I'm sick of it.
Story should be on its way to Crotalus and Lmermaid.

Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it. Gave it a once over. Will email you with some general comments probably tomorrow.

But I will say this up front, if this is a rough draft, I can't wait to see your polished work.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Erm...I'm awful at revising... :s

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.