Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rise of Darkness Tides

Author Topic: Rise of Darkness Tides
James Hightower
Member # 3050

- posted      Profile for James Hightower   Email James Hightower         Edit/Delete Post 
first chapter on my first book... i need crits for characterization and plot... any crits are appreciated...

Chapter 1
*The Capture*

Quinzin grinned, apologizing to the banker who he knocked down, even while slipping the other man's money into his pocket. The banker hurried off, it was very annoying how everyone around him seemed very busy while he had nothing to do. He headed toward The Golden Rooms, the inn he occupied. No place was his home for long. Quinzin entered The Golden Rooms and smiled at the woman at the desk. There were more important matters to think of though; he would have to shun his pleasures until the job was done tonight. He had to be quiet for the job he was about to do, and above all he'd be getting coin from it.

When night came, he set out to his destination. The building he arrived at intimidated all who passed it. The structure was

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 09, 2005).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Um... you might want to go back and read the rules posted in the "PLEASE READ HERE FIRST" forum.

Specifically, the rule restricting you to 13 lines and no more.
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum6/HTML/000001.html

For various good reasons, there is a strict regulation on this board to 13 lines only. We count 13 lines by setting your word processor margins to 1", using 12 point Courier type.

You need to go back and edit before anyone will critique your work. If you don't edit, Kathleen will.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
...and I suggest you do this ASAP. Publishing this here ruins your chance to publish it for pay elsewhere.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
"Quinzin grinned, apologizing to the banker who he knocked down"

First thing, I'd delete "who".

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
James H, what point of view is this story in? I'd like to know what your trying to do before I comment.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited December 17, 2005).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eclectic skeptic
Member # 3046

- posted      Profile for eclectic skeptic   Email eclectic skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few sentences I think could be re-worded. But I like the voice, and I like the style. I like how we can feel how this character is going to be right off.

Sentence structure is just a little messy at places (everyone does it) but for example, "The banker hurried off, it was very annoying..." This transition feels a little funky to me, like we should almost have it be another sentence rather than just a comma. "The banker hurried off. Quinzin suddenly felt very annoyed with how everyone seemed..."

"the inn he occupied" makes it sound like he is the only one staying there. it could be something like, "...his current home, but no place was his home for long."

Sounds a little redundant with "until the job" in one sentence, and then having the next sentence have "quiet for the job"

Anyway, those are just knitpicky things, but I couldn't find anything else really, so that means I liked it for the most part. I am decently hooked into this story.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightWolf_ofClan_Zero
Member # 3074

- posted      Profile for MidnightWolf_ofClan_Zero   Email MidnightWolf_ofClan_Zero         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. Is uh...Quinzin a goodie or a badie? Me, I'm sayin that he's leaning towards the badie side. Evil is so much fun. Like fire. Hmhmhmhm.....fire...
Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.