Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » untitled wip

Author Topic: untitled wip
Worlds
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for Worlds   Email Worlds         Edit/Delete Post 
There have only been two times in my existence where I have truly been afraid for my life.
The first was maybe a year ago when me and Brent and Sean were driving in my car late one night through some canyons outside of town with the music blasting loud enough so we had to yell to hear ourselves and each other sing. I had the pedal pushed down hard and we were flying through the turns with an abandon that came only on nights like that, where the music seemed to be written specifically for us and teenage spirit told us that we were invincible. Bushes and guardrails and telephone poles and yellow lines streaked by so fast that if you just stared to the left or right the world was nothing more than a Van Ghoh painting out of focus. The air was cold but the windows were

I know this doesnt really lead anywhere into the story, the second fear is what does that

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 15, 2006).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duckboyone
Member # 3141

- posted      Profile for duckboyone   Email duckboyone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it! Great first sentence, and I think most of us can identify with the description of his first experience. I like the feel of the language.

If I had a problem with it, I think it would be that ofter the first line when the narrator refers to his "existence", it made me assume that he had been around a while, but then he says that he was a teenager only a year ago. That's nitpicky, though.

I am intrigued as to what the second fear is.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If the first fear is irrelevant to the story, I'd skip it.

Although it certainly was cool.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Worlds
Member # 2221

It doesn't lead into the story, but it does lead into the next fear which does lead into the story. Why did some of my kines get cut off?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Because there was more than 13 lines in manuscript format (12-point courier font), and 13 lines is the limit.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Worlds
Member # 2221

ah sorry, i must have counted wrong
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with the above post WBRIGGS, why tell us in such detail about the first fear unless it mean something to the story. BTW how long is the story?
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nit: It's "Van Gogh".

If the details don't contribute to the story but the event itself is important, shorten it up to one line: "The first was maybe a year ago when some of my buddies and I were speeding through some canyons late one night and nearly turned my car into an airplane." Or something like that. Then move on to the next time.

But I agree with Will: I liked the imagery.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I didn't like was this...

quote:
and teenage spirit told us that we were invincible.

Way too dead-on.

Everything else I enjoyed.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we haven't reached that yet, but in the first fear, he doesn't seem at all scared fo his life.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedSakana
Member # 3127

- posted      Profile for RedSakana           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the first sentence, but I agree with some of the other posters that it doesn't work as well if the first fear-for-life isn't relevant to the rest of the story...

Is there a way that you could make BOTH instances of fear relevant to the story rather than just one?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.