Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The SkySeer; 1st 13 lines Epic/fantasy

Author Topic: The SkySeer; 1st 13 lines Epic/fantasy
Dethfoot
Member # 3195

- posted      Profile for Dethfoot   Email Dethfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
okay, so I decided to try a different story, this one a more fantasy based story. Its kinda the whole epic quest type story. anyhow, here goes.....
-------------------
"Three have risen," began the haunting voice of the Oracle, "and three have fallen."
The Oracle peered deep into the water basin before him, where to his eyes only swirled the mists of time and all reality. From somewhere in those waters he conjured up images that portrayed what was, what is, and what will be. His shining dark eyes locked on the colorful display of the paradox of time, the Oracle continued.
"One more shall rise."
The Oracle was silent for several moments to come. Those around him were eager to hear more, but hesitant to break his concentration. At last the Patriarch spoke.
"What shall happen next?" he asked,
-----------------
Woot, there ya go. any and all feedback would be appreciated.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure whose POV I'm in. It would seem to be the Oracle's; but I don't know what he's talking about.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the tone you've set, but as Will pointed out, we need a little better idea of what's going on and the POV gets a little confusing at the end.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the POV the Patriarch?

To help clarify that maybe say something in the beginning about the Patriarch waiting in the shadows of the dimly lit stone room.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much in agreement with the others.

As for the patriarch's POV, that works up until "Those around him were eager to hear more, but hesitant to break his concentration. At last the Patriarch spoke" and "he asked." For the patriarch's POV, "All of us around him" and "I said" would be more fitting, no?

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dethfoot
Member # 3195

- posted      Profile for Dethfoot   Email Dethfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for the feedback so far. the POV for this part of the story is actually supposed to be unspecified. By the beginning of the next page, it switches to being the main character's POV, but for this part, I guess you could say that the POV is the reader... ya know, just sort of like you are watching these people in this room for a bit...
Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
It's far too flowery. Most people know what an oracle does, so there's not really a need to describe in such detail what the Oracle is seeing. Perhaps it would be better to say how it appeared to the people around the Oracle. I think that might also help clear up the POV problem that people seem to be having.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnmac1953
Member # 3118

- posted      Profile for Johnmac1953   Email Johnmac1953         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you need is a little more tension-building. Those listening to the Oracle want to know what he has to say, and the Oracle will tell them but...
Best Wishes
John Mc...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend against an unspecified POV. If POV is unspecified, I don't have anyone to relate to.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.