Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Leaving Ganymede

Author Topic: Leaving Ganymede
thayerds
Member # 3260

- posted      Profile for thayerds   Email thayerds         Edit/Delete Post 
SF short story. About 1050 words. Looking for reviewers of the whole thing.

Three generations cried softly as I entered the elevator and pushed the button. The steel doors closed with a final solid bump. I heard the turbine spin up, then sudden acceleration pushed me down into a squat against the back wall as the tiny car shot toward the surface. Pain sliced through my legs like a thousand invisible razors.
Five miles to go.
Soon there will be no more pain. No more laughter, no more fear of failure, no more food shortages or water rations. No wore worrying about that baby, or listening to it cry from hunger. No more thinking about how we will ever break free of Jupiter's gravity well, or how we will get back home. No more sacrifice.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it mean for 3 generations to cry? What's the sacrifice? Why will there be no more pain? Who's stuck in Jupiter's gravity well, and why?

I can't tell what's happening.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ethersong
Member # 3216

- posted      Profile for ethersong   Email ethersong         Edit/Delete Post 
A rather interesting beginning. I kind of see what you are saying by the "three generations cried softly" but I can also see how it is confusing. Since there are usually three generations alive at any given time, you are saying that everyone is crying as he did this. Is that what you mean? I think its an interesting and cleverly dramatic way to say it...except for the fact that most people won't get it.

I like the rest of it though. Is gripping.

Send it over, I'll review it.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The "three generations cried softly" is certainly an intriguing opening. The hook is good, although I am slightly concerned by the tense switch half way through it - you can easily switch from present to future tense, but past to future rarely works.

If you wish to pass it along, I'll read.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
I first read 'generations' as generATORS. It wasn't until I'd read the first reply that I realized my error. I believe I understand the reference, but you might try to make it more clear. 3 generations being that the MC is 'abandoning' something that his family has had a tie to for 3 generations.

The sudden acceleration and pain seems odd. I think we should know more about why this is the case... is it a punishment? If this were simply an 'elevator' away from something, it seems that the acceleration would be more gradual so as to avoid causing pain (who'd use today's elevators if they caused pain?).

The reference to 'that baby' seems weird. Being a specific baby, it seems as though the MC has a tie to it, and 'no more worrying' (you've a typo there btw, wore) inappropriate. Why would the MC worry about it before, but suddenly lose any attachment to it (whatever that might be)? If I'm worried about someone today, no matter how far I travel, I'll still worry about them tomorrow.

Otherwise, I think it is compelling enough to read on.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Salimasis
Member # 2490

- posted      Profile for Salimasis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm intrigued.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of nits:

If the acceleration of the elevator is so intense as to cause a person to squat, I wonder why the goofy thing doesn't have some kind of seating. Second, symptoms such as lightheadedness and vision loss might start creeping in if the g forces are sufficiently high.

You might re-word the last paragraph to give us an idea of WHY those things will be true.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are still looking for readers, send it my way. wolf_dude64@yahoo.com
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zipperhead409
Member # 3268

- posted      Profile for zipperhead409   Email zipperhead409         Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty damn good, something that I'd definitely continue.

Send it my way.

The flow is great until the last few lines though, are you setting up for something?

[This message has been edited by zipperhead409 (edited March 11, 2006).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the premise was good, but I felt the description was misplaced. I could care less about the elevator and the pain because I am too busy trying to figure out how there will be no more pain. It's good though, definitely will read and critique it if you need it.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.