Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » My bio

Author Topic: My bio
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Any suggestions? This should already be up on IGMS, but I think they'll still take it.

William Saxton, a Virginia resident, was lucky enough to be in driving distance of Orson Scott Card's classes at Southern Virginia University, and has never been the same since; he is currently working on a time-travel novel, Big Powwow.

After writing "I Am the Queen," and considering the difficulties in housetraining even earthly pets, he has decided not to have any pets for a while. You can find him online at http://youwillknow.blogspot.com/ .

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammar nit: "within driving distance"

Replace the semi colon with a period.

More details on the time-travel novel (like set where?)?

Can't think of anything else. And congrats, again! I just read the new version at IGMS, and it's still a hoot.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Nit: "and has never been the same since" sounds better to my ears if you phrase it: "and has not been the same since."

The whole pet thing sounded weird to me. The sentence structure seemed a little convoluted. I would advise simplifying it a tad. I would rather read more about the Queen story than a decision not to have pets?

How many words are you alloted for this bio?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on Silver's comments re: 'within'.

Don't think the 'never' as suggested above will work, but agree the sentence sounds wrong. Try 'and hasn't been the same since' to make it less formal.

I like the pet thing. Maybe simplify it to something like: 'after writing Queen, he decided against having pets.' Anyone who read the story will get it.

PS: I had a hoot reading it. It was one of those few times I talked to my wife about a story I'd read. I'm really happy for you and hope things turn out even better than you hope.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited March 02, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
Please excuse my ignorance, what's IGMS?
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
Intergalactic Medicine Show. OSC's ezine. $2.50 an issue--an unbelievable bargain.

Congrats again Will. I haven't bought the issue yet, but I plan to soon. I too am anxious to see the finished version.

As for your bio, I'd insert the following into the first line:

William Saxton, a Virigina resident (and known by many as 'that big scary guy), ...

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone! This was a big help. I just sent the bio, and used most of the changes suggested. Now everyone will want to know why I'm big and scary.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed the title of this post and couldn't figure out what this 13 lines was all about. But I figured it out quick enough, and now I'm off to buy the lastest IGMS.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I went over to IGMS and read the preview of your story, Will. Nifty idea from what I read so far. I busted out laughing after having read the bio here.

I may just pony up some ducats and subscribe.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 3084

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
"Never been the same since" = cliche.
(Also, it seems a little young. I remember writing an autobiography in the first grade and using that term. Mind you, I used it on about every page, but I still used it.)

Posts: 67 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazykiter
Member # 3108

- posted      Profile for krazykiter   Email krazykiter         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the issue and read the story - good job, Will.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.