Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » When the Pink Horses Fly

Author Topic: When the Pink Horses Fly
Rose
Member # 3370

- posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the opening from a mainstream novel I'm working on. I'd appreciate an thoughts/input. Thanks!

My mother named me Antoinette during her French phase so I’m stuck with a name that’s far too big for a skinny white girl from Freedom, Kentucky. Antoinette is a name that should belong to an olive skinned woman with more curves than the Kentucky back roads. Not someone who’s never been more than two hours outside of Freedom and who’s about as exotic as a worn pair of blue jeans. Outside of my long white blond hair I’m as plain as the day is long.

As a result, I’ve taken to going by Ann. Nobody expects much from someone called Ann. So when the man standing at my front door blinks in surprise after I say, “I’m Antoinette,” I’m used to it.

I give him a moment to compose himself then stand back from the

[This message has been edited by Rose (edited April 25, 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 25, 2006).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I'd keep reading.

Nits:

quote:
My mother named me Antoinette during her French phase so I’m stuck with a name that’s far too big for a skinny white girl from Freedom, Kentucky.

This sentence feels overstuffed. How about "far too big for me," and then put the details in later?

I lean away from present tense, here, unless there's a good reason for it.

quote:
So when the man standing at my front door blinks in surprise after I say, “I’m Antoinette,” I’m used to it.
What is the man doing there? We find out later, but I had to stop and reread to put the pieces togehter. If you tell us as soon as there's someone at the door, this will make it easier for me to read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susannaj4
Member # 3189

- posted      Profile for Susannaj4   Email Susannaj4         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first paragraph. What threw me was the sudden present tense.
Posts: 341 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You had me with the first paragraph. LOVELY! But it didn't lead me very well into what came next.

I wasn't ready for a funeral. The first paragraph didn't prepare me for it. The second paragraph didn't prepare me for it. The beginning of the third paragraph doesn't prepare me for it. Then in the final two words of the third paragraph, there it is. When the narrator says, "I'm used to it," at the end of the second paragraph, I don't expect this particular occurrence at the door to be unusual, merely mundane. And for his admittance into the house (beginning of third paragraph) to be nothing unusual.

And, yes, the sudden shift to present tense is jarring.
Anyway, why would he be surprised by her saying her name is Antoinette if he doesn't know her (which it appears is the case)? They're used to big names in the South anyway. Ask Mary Robinette.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodie
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Woodie   Email Woodie         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph is awesome. The rest of it felt rushed to me. The tense change did make it choppy. If you had ten people read this and tell you how old they think Ann is, I'm guessing you would get a whole bunch of different answers. I pictured her as about 11.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the dual mentions of both Freedom and Kentucky felt like I was being hit over the head.

Other than that, the voice is is assured, though the rapid switch into present tense did jolt me a little.

I'd read on, at least for now.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph is great.

I absolutely refuse to read a novel-length work in first person present tense.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it has all the elements of a solid opening. In the first paragraph, you manage to give us a quick exploration of the character and her relationship to her mother that also gives us a good sampling of the character's voice and relates to the immediate scene.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much with Christine on first person present tense. I don't have a very long attention span for that particular format of narration. Even if the story is wonderful, I keep losing track of what's going on when and who's talking and all that stuff, and eventually I just give up.

Some people like it, for some odd reason.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and the voice is good, but you may be laying it on a bit thick. But only a little.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omakase
Member # 2915

- posted      Profile for Omakase   Email Omakase         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I'm the only one who feels this opening has one or two too many quaint descriptions.
I liked the first sentence. But then the reader is hit up for three sentences in a row with
"more curves than a back road"
"exotic as a pair off blue jeans"
"as plain as the day is long" (not terribly original)

One or two, OK, but three is too many in a row.

The balance of the opening was good and interesting.

[This message has been edited by Omakase (edited April 25, 2006).]

Posts: 179 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I love your opener. I think the first paragraph CAN be a bit thick on description, particularly since you didn't go overboard with adjectives or adverbs. It was perfect to set up the character.

I only have a few nits: saying she has white blonde hair seems redundant. Unless the whiteness of her blondeness factors into the story, I'd leave the word "white" out of it. Let the reader determine the level of blonde they imagine; unless, as I said, it is relevant to the plot.

I didn't like the transition from past to present tense. Particularly since it comes mid paragraph. Present tense is a joy-killer for a lot of people; it just doesn't read as smoothly. I suggest you take a hard assessment of your reasons for writing in present tense, and calculate the price you pay for it, and decide if it's really worth it. Only you know if the story demands present tense. But I was more comfortable with your opener, in past tense.

"As a result, I’ve taken to going by Ann.".... this I had to re-read to understand. I suggest rephrasing it in a slightly more concise manner: "As a result, I go by my nickname, Ann." The part that threw me off was "...taken to going by...." That is a particularly convoluted way to say what you are trying to say. Simplify, if you can.

Other than that, excellent first 13. I would definately continue to read.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I do feel obligated to report on something from OSC (I haven't verified it): in the "literary" genre, he said, present tense is standard. But then few read this genre, I think.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this opening. I found it quite entertaining. I don't know if I'd be willing to put up with this character for an entire novel, however. Short story, yes, but a novel? I don't know. I'd have to read a bit more of the story first to get a feel for the plot, etc.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose
Member # 3370

- posted      Profile for Rose   Email Rose         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the responses. I will definitely rethink the first person present tense. I'm not trying to be literary, I just want to write a good story that people enjoy and if this many people have an issue with it, it's a problem.

It's a relief to find a group that gives you honest feedback about your work. What a help!

Rose

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pjp
Member # 3211

- posted      Profile for pjp           Edit/Delete Post 
The title would probably turn me off.

"so I’m stuck with a name [...]" First thing I thought was, so what, go by a different name. After reading on, I thought mentioning "I've taken to going by Ann" should be moved after the "stuck with" sentence.

"more curves than the Kentucky back roads" seems a little strong on cliche.

After stating that she goes by Ann, I thought it very odd that she then said "I'm Antoinette." She explains why she doesn't like the name, that she chose to go by another name, then turns around and uses the name she doesn't like. Just didn't work for me.

In loose terms, there's enough there to make it interesting.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Novice
Member # 3379

- posted      Profile for Novice           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I missed the longer post, as djvdakota comments about information that I haven't seen. I loved your first paragraph. However, I agree with pjp. From your first paragraph, I could see Ann correcting someone who used the long version of her name with, "It's just Ann."
Posts: 247 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.