Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » New Kingdom--First 13

Author Topic: New Kingdom--First 13
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Please see re-worked first 13 at bottom. Tnx

MEMO: To: Pat Rose, Director, Alien Species Research, NASA
Subject: Wild rumors
_____Pat, no doubt you’re hearing stories bouncing off
_____the walls at NASA. However . . . Damn! They’re true!
#
Dr. Francis Barnes could not write a lengthy e-mail with the director next door. He was poised to knock when Pat opened the door and pulled him in by his shirt sleeve.

“Tell me,” said Dr. Rose.

“We found a critter that defies classification. Some think we've a new genus, but the senior scientists think it's a new kingdom.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 10, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by WouldBe (edited August 13, 2007).]

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just one reader, but I don't like opening a book to an e-mail. It's probably been done, and it's probably been done well, but I don't like it, it's an instant turn off. Especially with the underscores, for a minute I thought I was reading a madlib.

That aside,

I'm glad your "new kingdom" wasn't the cliche "new kingdom" I expected it to be, I like the science flare, it's interesting. I don't have much of a feel for our pov character yet, but that isn't necessarily bad, but if you lost the e-mail bit you might find a more creative, interesting way to launch into the story that could, potentially, give me more about our POV character to go on.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I've read and re-read and....

Aliens definitely spark the imagination. But, it was too darn confusing for me to figure out who was who. Is there some office politics/political intrigue you're playing out w/the director next door and one doc pulling the other doc into an office? Total nit - you've chosen somewhat genderless names, though francis = male form, but pat = left to guess. Using the Dr honorific prevents us from knowing if it's a girl or boy. It doesn't necessarily matter, except when it matters. Does it matter here? Well, it contributed to my confusion.

I could see this done w/o the email in a way that is a lot less confusing.

Dr. Barnes, senior xenobiologist at NASA, walked down the hall with purpose. He reached Dr. Pat Rose's office, his intended destination. Dr. Rose was head of Alien Species Research, and Barnes was bursting to tell SOMEONE the news. Barnes new Patty would appreciate the momentuousness (making up words here because it's late and I'm tired) of the occasion.

Bah, terrible try, but just wanted to give you some idea for what's up.

Nit, but maybe this has something to do with why I was confused. In the first line of narration, you refer to barnes as being poised to knock when Pat opened the door, but then Pat = Dr. Rose. Same person, I know (but had to go back and re-read the email from/to to remind myself) but it's confusing to use two different non-overlapping ways to refer to the same person just 2 lines apart. You could do "poised to knock when Dr. Rose opened the door" or "Poised to knock when dr. pat rose opened the door" but frankly, I don't think most PhD scientists at NASA use the doctor honorific much. <shrug> - might be simpler to stick to names. We'll get that they're all that and a bag of chips by how you describe them/what their roles are.

Just some thougths. I hope this is helpful!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, researching aliens instead of just shooting them or being invaded by them sounds like a good idea. The new kind of critter might be interesting, and it implies they've met some aliens already. But there's not enough yet to hook me, partly because if they've already met a few aliens, this world sounds rather too normal and present-day.

I found the e-mail odd. I don't remember the last time I saw one entitled 'MEMO'. It sounds like Francis was emailing Pat to say something like, 'However the rumours aren't true' when he was surprised, perhaps by an alien suddenly appearing in his office, hence the '... Damn! They're true!' But he wouldn't write that, would he? Surely he'd forget the email, deal with the surprise, then rush next door - and anyway, why write email when Pat is next door? Also, the scene seems to have a sense of urgency and it might be better to drop us straight into that, without the email, which realy only serves to tell us who the characters are, I think. Instead, for example, Frank might burst into Pat's office shouting, 'Those rumours - they're true.'

My Oxford dictionary says that genus is between species and family. I found the word 'kingdom' jarring, (I wondered, are we in SF or fantasy?) and I think scientists tend to use formal words consistently - especially when they might encounter 'official skepticism expected of the director of research.' Not that I want to force the story into a mental pigeon hole, I just need a reference point to know whether to expect magick or science, or both.

Further, I personally don't expect directors of research to be officially skeptical. Whatever their misgivings about new discoveries and their need for solid, corroborated evidence, surely they're leaders who greet breakthroughs with enthusiasm and encouragement? So, if Pat is a miserable director, I think it would come from his or her personality, not position as director.

Just a thought,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with the others here, I'm not too keen on the use of the Email as an opening. I thought it strange to open with that and then have the two scientists meet up anyway at the beginning of the story, kind of negates the need for the Email.

If you must keep the Email, I thought the subject line was a little vague, if it was about something so momentus as a "new kingdom" then that would be in the subject line.

I also had to look up to the Email to remind myself who was who.

Having said that, I'd definitely read on to find out more about these critters

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest problem you have in this is the science.

1) you're assuming that an alien will have enough genetic similarities to terrestrial life forms that a species only investigation will not present startling differences in genome assembly, protein translations, DNA structure and syntax etc

2) You're using really generic words for scientists like genus and kingdom when a majority of readers know more than this (alot more)

3) Use of the word Xenobiology makes certain assumptions that there is in fact a xeno to study. Currently NASA has a focus on Astrobiology but not Xeno. However without more backfill as to how humanity finally stumbled upon a genuine xeno species then I'm going to have to say that you're being rather cliche and just assuming the reader wants to know about the aliens with out knowing how they were found and not how the world reacted etc.

Specifically speaking to your writing,

1) Your email/memo isn't a problem for me, its the way you choose to structure it. Its obvious to me that you tried to come up with officious sounding titles and a serious sounding hook in the email but all I get is a bunch of spurious suspense that annoys me for

2) Repeating the full name and Honorific of your MC after the email is annoying. Call him Frank or something more personable.

3) Same with "Dr. Rose" i don't care that these guys are PhDs (its not like they've got a degree in Xenobiology unless again you're cheating by not telling the reader something)

4)"Bouncing off the walls at NASA"? When the recipient of the email is close enough to walk down the hall? Why isn't this guy in on the gig to start out with? Also which research facility do you have these gentleman at? Ames is the one I assume since one of it's specialty is astrobiology but again your lack of research presents itself.

5)I feel that your description of Dr Rose's face in the last line (again with the needless repetition of titles) violates POV.

how does Barnes know that this is really beyond offical skepticism?

Bottom line:

This is not horrible but its not not horrible either. Generally I feel this story needs to be restructured or at least better researched to provide the reader a better picture of both the characters and the situation/milieu

[This message has been edited by Matt Lust (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the email opening was cute, but had a little trouble figuring out why the guy couldn't write a lengthy email with his director next door - it took me a minute to figure out that he was too impulsive to write an email when he could just go to the next office and talk to the guy.
and my understanding is that this is an alien life form discovered on a planet they are already familiar with lots of species from. Correct? Humorous and fun. Little more linear connection between the guys, their offices and their email ids (or I.D.s) . Good start! I'd read on - i like goofy science guys who get jazzed about odd discoveries, and I like NASA.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 10, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind the email - it's just jarring in the first 13. If you use it consistently (and well) thoughout the piece, it's not necessarily a bad device.

One quick question: We've discovered aliens and have classifications for them, but we're still stuck with email, huh?

I like the twist involved in your title though - very cute.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Deb Hoag nailed what I attempted to do, but obviously it needs work if it was so unclear. Also, I suspect Deb Hoag used knackery; I've contacted the Council of Elders about her. That Deb Hoag had to use knackery further indicts the first 13, though. Note: I DID NOT use knackery to conceal the meaning of the first 13!

--WouldBe

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I fully agree with Debhoag's assessment of the email. I got one from my boss yesterday and wondered why. He sits two offices away. I went to answer him and found he was taking a vacation day, but still working from home. In this case, Francis may be trying to put documentation in writing - put it on the record to control rumors - and failing.

It has to be presumed that scientists with those titles are doctors, but it doesn't hurt to introduce them with titles or honorifics. The cost happens when you switch their dialog tags to the names they use for themselves or each other. Perhaps you could use the 'Dr.' in the email addresses along with their job titles as if they're automatically generated.

In common vernacular, the kingdoms are 'plant' and 'animal.' Various definitions over the years have propounded up to 6 kingdoms. So what would constitute a new kingdom? Is the cute title worth stepping that high up the classification structure - probably yes.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

Re-worked, for your perusal. Readers are welcomed.
--------
Fraton Barson was too stoked for an elaborate e-mail with the director of NASA research next door. He was poised to knock on Patken Roseach's door when it opened.

"Tell me," said Patken. “I've heard rumors.”

The V2 vessel found some exotic alien critters that defy classification. Some of us call for a new phyla, but the senior scientists are thinking new kingdom.

"A new kingdom? Hmmm." Patken Roseach's face betrayed the official skepticism expected of the senior director of research.

"I know what you’re thinking," said Barson. "You’re wondering why we should bother with a new classification when we can force-fit new critters into the present scheme."

"We’ve assayed hundreds of life-supporting planets and the present classification scheme anticipated all new critters."
------

monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely enough I preferred the first version

I wasn't too keen on the use of "stoked" in the first sentence, maybe later on in the story wouldn't have been so intrusive but I didn't think it was the best introduction to a story.

In the third paragraph we have V2 vessels, phyla and new kingdoms. Speaking as a totally unscientific person who enjoys reading the odd sci-fi I was a bit lost here, perhaps a more gentle introduction was needed here to keep the interest?

And the only hook I see here is where these new critters are going to fit into the current classification scheme. Not really enough to keep me reading.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I liked the first 13 better, too. It has more character. Are we driving you crazy yet?
What if the change was more like this?
Dr. Francis Barnes could not write a lengthy e-mail with the director next door. HE CLOSED THE WINDOW ON HIS HALF-FINISHED EMAIL AND WENT DIRECTLY TO THE DOOR OF HIGH MUCKY-MUCK. JUST AS HE RAISED HIS HAND TO KNOCK, HIGH MUCKY-MUCK HIMSELF, PAT . . . He was poised to knock when Pat opened the door and pulled him in by his shirt sleeve.

It's a little more detail, but preserves the flavor, I think.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

p.s. got knack?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.