Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Brothers of the River

Author Topic: Brothers of the River
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Many thousands of years before the flood, in a small fishing village by the sea, there lived two brothers, twins; Tiger and Ford were their names, and they were as different as night and day. Tiger was dark and wild, with curly black hair and a kind heart. Even as a small child, if he had two honeycakes, he would give them both away to a stranger. But if someone did him a wrong, he would lash out in a blind rage, and sometimes cause more harm than he intended. Ford was pale and humorless, with long blond hair and cold, blue eyes. He always demanded his due, and was a shrewd trader. But he was also a hard worker and he always kept his word.
From the time they were old enough to wrestle, rolling on the floor as naked babes, the two brothers fought.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
nice clear picture of the twins, but no hook yet. Got Hook?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the story of feuding twins has been done so often before (I love the Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts) that we really need something new to arouse the interest.

Here we have the dark haired, short tempered brother and the fair haired cold one. Seems a touch cliche to me. I think if you show us some indication of where this is going - why are the twins special? Then you could have a good hook here.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a similar complaint to those above. Opposing twins are common - what makes your pair special? I like how you are trying to make this sound like a fable or fairy tale. But if you have a different world or time, maybe tailor your introduction to fit in with your different culture.
Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm immediately thinking that the tale will be mythological, and will turn the page just to see where you go with it. I love this kind of stuff, though, and the slush reader may be less hooked.

This might be the kind of thing that you leave in, but edit pretty heavily to be able to fit something more hooky in.

I note that you say, "Many thousands of years before the flood," which leads me to think that this is introductory material. You might frame this in a tale told by a person in the present time of the story. (Might.)

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
The story got harder and harder to write as other stories were rejected, but I finally finished it. It came in at 3200 words. Anyone want to read and critique?
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, oooh, over here.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Throw me a copy too if you like, Rick. I've been wondering how this one turned out
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy too, if you're not over-booked.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always in
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin
Member # 6195

- posted      Profile for Kevin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in reading it also.

-kevin

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

Many thanks for some very helpful advice. The story is now at Weird Tales.

Did you know Weird Tales now accepts e-subs?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.