Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Many Eggs

Author Topic: Many Eggs
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

This is a 3500 word story. I only need crits on the first thirteen for now.

Thanks!

The wheat is tall in the fields when Master Gundaro comes to claim his bride.
Lala stands behind Mistress Jandala on the marble portico in front of the house, looking out on the dirt road and the fields. She closes her hands into fists and hides them in her robes, ignoring the pain from her cracked calluses. The state of her hands shames her, as does the sunburn on the tips of her tentacles, earned by the long hours spent with the other servants attaching a thousand pink ribbons to each swaying stalk of wheat. Old Dia says this is what it means to be a good servant: to be forever shamed by your condition, forever proud of your good work. The strong wind pulls at each ribbon, lifting the stalks by their bountiful heads for the new Master to see.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
long hours spent with the other servants attaching a thousand pink ribbons to each swaying stalk of wheat.

This read as each swaying stalk of wheat had a thousand ribbons attached to it; did you mean this?

Other than that, I see nothing wrong with this thirteen, you have a great vioce and I would love to read the entire story when you are ready.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading along and everything seemed normal - until "tentacles" - hook!

I took the thousand ribbons on each stalk to be part of the lore of the fantasy. It does seem to be fantastic.

Other points to see if I get them right:

The Master is the one arriving. Lala and Jandala are on the marble portico. This implies that servants live in a house large and ostentatious enough to have a marble portico.

They're showing off the wheat crop to the Master, so the land and crop must belong to him - along with the bride he's claiming.

It makes sense that the POV character, Lala, is to be that bride.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I meant each stalk of wheat had one ribbon but you're right, that phrase is confusing.

The bride is Mistress Jandala, but I don't think it's a problem if that isn't evident in the first thirteen.

More?

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it a little confusing (and I'm easily confused) that Lala has both hands and tentacles.

It's got a lovely feel to it - a lifestyle and mentality both foreign and complete.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited September 03, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
The only ting I saw that would possibly be a problem in a short story was that you repeated the information about how she a ashamed of her appearance, however I don't think it's enough of a problem to actually change it. I must commend you on the very beautiful imagery with the wheat and the ribbons. I enjoyed myself there. I would read on. If you don't mind waiting for a response I could possibly take a look at it for you.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice.

- - -
The state of her hands shames her, as does the sunburn on the tips of her tentacles...
- - -
Since the state of her hands were described in the previous sentence, this could be tightened:

Her hands shame her, as does the sunburn on the tips of her tentacles...

- - -
...looking out on the dirt road and the fields.
- - -

The on doesn't seem quite the right word. Perhaps onto, over or at or some other wording is called for.

- - -
Old Dia says this is what it means to be a good servant: to be forever shamed by your condition, forever proud of your good work.
- - -

It seems that Old Dia wishes to show the pride of being a good servant. So would this pride include shame? Perhaps the attitude about the hands can be reversed:

... forever proud of your good work and of the stigmata it leaves on the hands. (Or some such.) Of course, this would affect the earlier hand-hiding in her robes.

The strong wind pulls [The strong winds pull] at each ribbon, lifting the stalks by their bountiful heads for the new Master to see.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, I liked it, and I'd probably have read on.

quote:
...earned by the long hours spent with the other servants attaching a thousand pink ribbons to each swaying stalk of wheat.

I'm not an authority on wheat, but I am a farm girl. These were my thoughts when I read this: A thousand ribbons on each stalk? I don't think wheat is tall enough for that. Perhaps she meant one ribbon on each of one thousand stalks of wheat. Though I wonder why someone sent servants out--potentially trampling the wheat--just to put pink ribbons in it? Must be something for the upcoming wedding. People do weird things for weddings.

Then I got to "The strong wind pulls at each ribbon, lifting the stalks by their bountiful heads for the new Master to see."

So the purpose of the ribbons was to emphasis the wheat as bountiful? Um, you do realize that wheat is essentially a grass, right? So a field of only 1,000 wheat heads probably wouldn't be very large. Second, wouldn't the ribbon be fluttering in the wind and obscuring the wheat head? Maybe I'm not correctly imagining where the ribbon is attached or how thick the ribbon is. Finally, my understanding is that the heads would normally be visible under these conditions even without a ribbon to catch the wind and "pull the heads up." Am I missing something?

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Liked it except the present tense thing bothered me. Other comments have already been covered.
Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walt.xeppuk
Member # 5489

- posted      Profile for walt.xeppuk   Email walt.xeppuk         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked it as well. It hooked me with tentacles as well (on her head right). I was expecting sunburned ears or nose or something - so I would've read on to see what other surprises were there.

I was confused with Lala not being the intended bride. Maybe something like this would clear it up...

...Master Gundaro comes to claim his bride. Lala stands behind the intended, Mistress Jandala, on the marble portico...

Keep it up though. walt

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.