Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dolls

Author Topic: Dolls
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
“If you wanna play God,” Di poohed, “you gotta play nice, at least at first.”
Head down her new-girl's sulk, Cin shrugged slightly. She feigned disinterest while she shook her dolly in search of animation.
Di pointed, “See? You broke it! Throw it in the water. I don't think there are any more left. Mom and Daddy are making supper.”
Cin didn't move, persisting in her actions. She tried standing her dolly in the soft grass, but the toy simply flopped flat when released from her grip.
“Now I can't play,” Cin moaned.
“Oh we can share.” Di smiled.

This beautiful little yarn is only 1 page long.

[This message has been edited by supraturtle (edited November 28, 2007).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaycloomis
Member # 7193

- posted      Profile for jaycloomis   Email jaycloomis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“If you wanna play God,” Di poohed

Whoa! What the heck is 'poohed' and why does it remind me of the bathroom?? :P

quote:
“If you wanna play God,” Di [poohed -- word choice...] “you gotta play nice, at least at first.”
[Head down her new-girl's sulk what is her head down? I don't understand this sentence...], Cin shrugged [slightly --cut this -- avoid using unnecessary adverbs. Just say 'shrugged'. ] She feigned disinterest while she shook her dolly in search of animation.Di pointed, “See? You broke it! Throw it in the water. I don't think there are any more left. [Mom and Daddy are making supper Kinda came out of no where. Don't rush it. ].”
Cin didn't move, persisting in her actions. She tried standing her dolly in the soft grass, but the toy simply flopped flat when released from her grip.
“Now I can't play,” Cin moaned.
“Oh we can share.” Di smiled.

It identifies a conflict -- the little girl's doll being broken -- and defines the main character. However, it lacks action, and a broken dolly can only draw the reader in so much.
The last two lines seem a bit robotic too. Consider removing "Di smiled." There are only two speakers, it's obvious who is replying to Cin.
Good work! Despite my picking.
-Jay

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I like poohed; a mixed-up word cause kids are mixed-up people. I held my cursor over it a while though because I knew it distracted. Seen as the story was so short, it wouldn't take long for the reader to determine a like/dislike of the piece, so I said 'oh well.'

Ooops, put 'in' in and it makes more sense. I'm trying to give a quick (and fairly unimportant marker) that this is 'the new girl on the block,' but the modern phrase wouldn't work in the rest of the piece.)
"Head down IN her new-girl's sulk,"
Guilty, I'm trying to reader into what seems to be a 'slightly off' but stock situation.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.