Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Non-Sci-Fi/Fantasy story called Southern Justice

Author Topic: Non-Sci-Fi/Fantasy story called Southern Justice
MasterTrek
Member # 7272

- posted      Profile for MasterTrek   Email MasterTrek         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so this story is one I wrote just a few months ago. After not touching it for about three weeks, I looked at it tonight and decided to rework some of it with the 13 lines in mind. It's only around 1300 words total. Any input would be nice, and if you want to read the whole thing, let me know. If it's good enough, I'll also need some ideas for publishers that might want it. And don't worry; no phonetic writing here, lol. And be warned, it's kinda a touchy subject for some people.

Jon was stirred from sleep by the smell of fresh coffee coming from the kitchen. The sun was just coming up. He had had a peaceful night’s sleep, which usually meant something bad was going to happen.
He got out of bed, started his laptop, turned on the TV, and set about his normal routine.
After putting on his slippers, Jon stepped outside to get his newspapers. He went back to his room, sat in his chair, and turned to the National section of the Times. As he skimmed the headlines, the FoxNews correspondent said a name that immediately grabbed his attention.
Richard Sommers.
The man was a serial rapist and child molester in Florida, and

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
Touchy is right.

Still, send it along. :-)

~Ben (bigdawgpoet)

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MasterTrek
Member # 7272

- posted      Profile for MasterTrek   Email MasterTrek         Edit/Delete Post 
So with some help from BigDawg, here's a revised 13. How does this sound? And if anyone wants to read it, just let me know.

The smell of fresh coffee stirred Jon from sleep. The sun was coming up. He had had a peaceful night’s sleep, which usually meant something bad was going to happen.
He got out of bed, started his laptop, turned on the TV, and set about his normal routine.
After putting on his slippers, Jon stepped outside to get his newspapers. He went back to his room, sat in his chair, and turned to the National section of the Times. As he skimmed the headlines, the FoxNews correspondent said a name that immediately grabbed his attention.
Richard Sommers.
The man was a serial rapist and child molester in Florida, and his trial was set to start the next day. According to what Jon had heard, the Feds had the guy over a barrel. Sommers liked to keep tr

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm . . . another story that starts with someone waking up. You can profitably cut the first six sentences. Just start with "As Jon skimmed the headlines, morning cup of coffee in hand, the FoxNews correspondent. . . ."

You can get a lot more into your first thirteen that way.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think this story starts in the wrong place. Nothing happens in the first thirteen. I don't think I need Jon's morning routine.

Besides that, let's talk craft.

quote:
The smell of fresh coffee stirred Jon from sleep. The sun was coming up. (1)He had had (2)a peaceful night’s sleep, which usually meant something bad was going to happen.
***He got out of bed, started his laptop, turned on the TV, and set about his normal routine.
After putting on his slippers, Jon stepped outside to get his newspapers. He went back to his room, sat in his chair, and turned to the National section of the Times.*** (3) As he skimmed the headlines, the FoxNews correspondent said a name that immediately grabbed his attention.(4)
Richard Sommers.
The man was a serial rapist and child molester in Florida, and his trial was set to start the next day. According to what Jon had heard, the Feds had the guy over a barrel. Sommers liked to keep tr

1. Always try to avoid "was." This is a prime example of why. Instead of the boring, weak, "the sun was coming up," you could have wowed me with a well turned sentence about sunlight creeping through the window.

2. "Had" is another word to avoid unless absolutely necessary. "had had" well... While I like the juxtaposition between a good night's sleep and something bad happening, I think you could have worded it better. Fewer words is usually better. Here the awkward "he had had a good night's sleep" could be replaced with something shorter and stronger, like "he awoke well rested, which meant..." I'm sure you can come up with something short, strong, and artful.

3. You don't need anything between the ***. Unless his morning routine is of some importance later, this is unnecessary action.

4. I don't like "a happened as b happened" sentences. Not everyone here agrees with me on this, but I have it on good authority that most publishers and editors do. Short and powerful sentences are the way to go.
And, if I may, a suggestion: How about just giving me the voice of the news anchor? Then you wouldn't need the narration and background you go into in the next paragraph. It's always a good idea to blend necessary info into action.

Overall, get into Jon's head. Make me see what he sees. At the same time, however, only show me the things he sees that are relevant to the story.

Sentences should be strong and to the point. Use the fewest words possible. That way, when you want to use an artful sentence, it stands out more beautifully.

[This message has been edited by TheOnceandFutureMe (edited December 19, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the morning routine is pushing your hook too far down the page.

IMHO, you could start with:

Jon's peaceful night’s sleep usually meant something bad was going to happen.

A transition sentance - like: it seemed that today was no exception - and then move into the newspaper article.

On to what you wrote:

quote:

The smell of fresh coffee stirred Jon from sleep. Not bad but not hooky and a bit cliched. I want you to really WOW me with the next line to justify the opening one The sun was coming up. Rats. This is somewhat redundant. I'll assume it is early morning unless you tell me otherwise. He had had a peaceful night’s sleep, which usually meant something bad was going to happen. Oooh. What's going to happen? Despite the "had had" I was interested

He got out of bed, started his laptop, turned on the TV, and set about his normal routine. Ugh. Why do I care? Get me to the bad thing.

After putting on his slippers, Jon stepped outside to get his newspapers. He went back to his room, sat in his chair, and turned to the National section of the Times. Again, the routine is pulling me away from the story As he skimmed the headlines, the FoxNews correspondent said a name that immediately grabbed his attention. You can probably modify this line to get to the point quicker. There was a story about Richard Sommers.
Richard Sommers.
The man was a serial rapist and child molester in Florida, and his trial was set to start the next day. According to what Jon had heard, the Feds had the guy over a barrel. so what's the problem? Why does Jon care? Sommers liked to keep tr

If you streamline this you can get the important questions - like why Jon cares about Sommers and give a hint about what is going to go wrong within the first 13.

Good luck.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.