Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Everybody Does It ... a little ditty

Author Topic: Everybody Does It ... a little ditty
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
“Everyone does it Deb,” Chrissy soothed, “I mean, where else are you gonna meet someone? At work? Pleeeease!”
“Ok Cee,” Deb held her breath and clicked the mouse.
Submitted was all she bothered reading. The rest was blah blah this date and blah blah how we can take money from you lonely single thirty-nine-year-olds blah. Chrissy shook Deb's shoulders like she'd really accomplished something.
Gee, I can feel my life changing already. Poof! There goes twenty bucks.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely interesting. If you're ready for readers, send it along. :-)

~Ben (bigdawgpoet)

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the final bit - 'Poof! There goes twenty bucks.' It made me smile.

I'd be a little careful with your 'blah blah's (I'd delete the final blah after 'single thirty-nine-year-olds') and things like 'Pleeeeeeease!' (where I think a simple 'Please!' would do just as well), but otherwise it's fine. I'd certainly read on .

Daniel.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm just really slow, but I don't get it. What is she doing? What is she submitting? Without knowing at least this much, I wouldn't read on.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited December 23, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
She's joined an online dating service, as far as I can tell.
Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tina Hoffman
Member # 7323

- posted      Profile for Tina Hoffman   Email Tina Hoffman         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that my Dad suggested recently I should try "eharmony.com" to find "mister right" (LOL) - I found the opening interesting. Maybe I could even learn something through Debbie's adventures.... hehe Little did my Dad know there are other, far more interesting places to meet guys online then eharmony and it doesn't cost a penny! Weird, geeky writer types too if that's what you're into....

Not saying what I am into or where I've been...yet...still researching...LOL!

Feel free to email it to me if you still are looking for readers.

Best,
Tina

Posts: 22 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx all. I will send this out as I catch up. I still owe some critiques from BEFORE XMAS. Ugh.
I'm trying a sell of this story to Weird Tales after a massive rework, but don't have high hopes... just testing the waters.
You'll read the rework of course.
Blahs minimized, a little more narration... etc etc.
I am also reworking Heaven, Hell and Roadside Assistance from the ground up.
I look forward to reworks from everyone who has had me peek at their work in the past. Please!
Let's see how the new year shapes up for all of us!

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

Heyas Blue...
Blue_pheonix mail failed. It might be that underscore, a lot of mail servers hiccup on them... or you got yahoo spammed or something.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a try. Please pass on a copy.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krista
Member # 7738

- posted      Profile for Krista   Email Krista         Edit/Delete Post 
Very amusing, very catchy opening. There are a few problems with punctuation, but that's the only thing that bothered me.

For example:
“Everyone does it Deb,” Chrissy soothed, <- Comma should be a period. It's a complete sentence, and she starts another complete sentence when she continues. “I mean, where else are you gonna meet someone? At work? Pleeeease!”

“Ok Cee,” <- Once again, comma should be a period. Deb held her breath and clicked the mouse.

Sorry about the minor nitpicks, but misplaced commas in and around dialogue really tweak my inner-editor. I'd love to read more if you'd care to send it my way.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.