Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » All in the Blood

Author Topic: All in the Blood
Rheniel
Member # 7888

- posted      Profile for Rheniel   Email Rheniel         Edit/Delete Post 
Genre: Modern Fantasy; Length: about 6200 Words; Status: Complete, still in Rough Draft; Request: Please, my friends, rip it to smithereens. And if I haven't lost your attention, I'd love it if you'd read more.

The stairs suspended from the blood donation trailer bounced under the heavy tread of his boot. He licked his lips, cracked dryness melting slightly with the momentary moisture. His hand hesitated on the sun-warmed latch of the door, but it was the last sign of indecision he allowed.
The door came open with a small clack, and the white-bloused nurse smiled at him. He spared a moment of amusement for the girl - with a giant vial full of blood and grinning - looking innocent and helpful rather than manic.
"Have a seat in that chair, and I'll be right with you." She said, and then all he could see was the brown ponytail and poofy white scrunchy at the back of her head. Almost as ironic as the needle-and-grin, that.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stucky
Member # 7833

- posted      Profile for Stucky           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting intro. The only problem I see with it is that the "hook" seems to be assumption, it is easy for the reader to already assume that the MC is a vampire because it is shot from his pov. The thing that makes vampires so scary, and interesting is that; a) they could be anyone... you never know if you're dealing with a vampire until it is too late, and b) they are very sneaky and stealthy... they will sneak right up on you. It would be interesting to see this shot from a bit of a diferent perspective.. perhaps just a bit removed from the MC. We see his actions but not his thoughts right away.... or maybe you shoot the first scene from the pov of the nurse.

Anyway... I'd love to see the rest- go ahead and email it to me and I'll check it out. - dstucky@emporia.edu

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He spared a moment of amusement for the girl - with a giant vial full of blood and grinning - looking innocent and helpful rather than manic.

This passage is a little unclear to me, but I'm not sure why.

Maybe: He spared a moment of amusement for the grinning girl with a giant vial full of blood, looking innocent and helpful rather than manic.

Although I'm still not totally sure why she would be or look manic.

Still, pretty good I think.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rheniel
Member # 7888

- posted      Profile for Rheniel   Email Rheniel         Edit/Delete Post 
Merlion-Emrys,

Thanks for the correction; I meant "maniacal", rather a different thing. Apparently I had a moment of random vocabulary.

Thanks also for the sentence correction; that one sticks for me, too, but I like the image... Still not sure if I'll cut it or change it.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 

Ahhh....maniacal...it all makes sense now. Sort of. That definitely improves it, and maybe just an itty bitty tweak in word order. Thats something I find myself often having to do several times before I get it how I want it.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
What Stucky said.

Also, I think it could be made easier to read with a few minor wording changes:

quote:
The stairs LEADING UP TO the blood donation trailer bounced under the heavy tread of his boot. He licked his lips, THEIR cracked dryness SOFTENING slightly with the momentary moisture. His hand hesitated on the sun-warmed latch of the door.

It was the last sign of indecision he allowed.

The door came open with a small clack, and the white-bloused nurse smiled at him. He spared a moment of amusement for the girl - [NEED AN EM DASH] with a giant vial OF blood - GRINNING, looking innocent and helpful rather than manic.

"Have a seat in that chair, and I'll be right with you," she said [NOTE PUNCTUATION FIX]

You haven't lost me yet, but you haven't clearly got me either. At 6200 words, I'll only *promise* to read part, but I'll *plan* to read to the end, if that's OK.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly, strongly suggest you name your MC in the first 13. The "he" business is a real problem for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

The MC knows his name. It's not some sort of secret (at least not from what I can tell) It would fit right in the first sentence "bounced under the heavy tread of Pete's boot."

The "he spared a moment" sentence is confusing, but it sounds like you know what you need to do to fix that. You could break it into two (or more) sentences rather than using the em dash.

Good luck with this!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
"He spared a moment of amusement for the girl - with a giant vial of blood and grinning - looking innocent and helpful rather than manic." This sentence is awkward. Breaking it up would help clarify it I think. You might consider getting us in closer by a little characterization. Maybe he tells her a joke or says something amusing in an effort to conceal his manic nature. This would be an excellent place to reveal character traits through dialogue, IMO.

Nit: "...giant vial of blood..." This is not clear - it's an oxymoron since a vial by definition is a small container. When you say "giant vial" I have no idea how large that is.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited April 21, 2008).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandgeek9723
Member # 7886

- posted      Profile for bandgeek9723   Email bandgeek9723         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason when I first read this I get the impression that the nurse is the one to be feared. After all, insane or maniacal people make for great villains, and when you describe her as not looking maniacal it sounds as if she should or that she usually does.

Other than that and other errors that people have already pointed out, there's not much for me to complain about. Though that's not saying much, since I'm still relatively new at critiquing other people's work.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordmerchant
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for Wordmerchant   Email Wordmerchant         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He licked his lips, cracked dryness melting slightly with the momentary moisture... He spared a moment of amusement for the girl - with a giant vial full of blood and grinning - looking innocent and helpful rather than manic.
Both of these are cases where the clauses? do not connect with their object. ( I am obviously NOT an English professor. ) In the first case, having his lips cracked prior to the comma would suffice. In the second case, I want to know why the nurse is maniacal.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read the whole thing if you're still looking for readers.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.