Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "The Dimensionist," high fantasy/Lovecraftian, just over 4k

Author Topic: "The Dimensionist," high fantasy/Lovecraftian, just over 4k
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished this piece, so I'd be very interested in some offers for full-reads before I submit it anywhere. Probably send it to Fantasy Magazine first...

Title ideas also apreciated.

I don't usually do this, but heres a first 13 I wrote just a few minutes ago. I'm hammering away at it as we speak. As you may guess, recent discussions made me want to do a piece with some Lovecraftian elements, and who better to include than my pre-existing character, Zorthas, the Dimensionist.

I was trying to do a little exposition without being too info dumpy.

“It came from the far Northern ruins, Master Wizard,” the tradesmen said as he handed the large, musty tome to Zorthas. The sorcerer hesitated a moment-the book had a powerful, and powerfully alien, aura. “One of my suppliers acquired it from an estate sale-apparently the man who took it from the ruins was quite mad, and finally hung himself in the main room of his house. His possessions were sold to pay off his debts.”
Zorthas nodded. “And most likely, it was this book that drove him mad, yes?”
The trader’s thick, round face expanded in an ingratiating smile. “Who can say? But even if so, surely it would pose no threat to Zorthas, the Dimensionist, a skilled wizard and learned scholar.”

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited May 20, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited May 20, 2008).]

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supaflyza
Member # 7965

- posted      Profile for supaflyza           Edit/Delete Post 
Your first 13 lines suggest that the man who first found the tome, went mad because he took it home with him...
Is that true?

Posts: 16 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, most likely.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. The opening presents a problem that may not be a problem that carries through the whole of the story, or might just set up the whole story. Great possibilities, here. And I love how you got in the identity of the POV character through the dialog of the conniving salesman or whoever he is.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
therin7
Member # 7966

- posted      Profile for therin7   Email therin7         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the dialogue between the two. I think I'd read on. Do you need more read?
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I will. I only have a few hundred words at present, but I will need readers once its completed. Thanks for offering.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this! The POV, the dialogue -- either you have improved a great deal, or you chose a style more to my liking on this one

My Take:

quote:
"It came from the far Northern ruins, Master Wizard,” the tradesmen said as he handed the large, musty tome to Zorthas. The sorcerer hesitated a momentthe book had a powerful, [and powerfully <-could cut] alien[, <-ditto] aura. “One of my suppliers acquired it from an estate sale. Apparently the man who took it from the ruins was quite mad, and finally hung himself [in the main room of his house <-not necessary]. His possessions were sold to pay off his debts.”

Zorthas nodded. “And [most likely, <-cut] it was this book that drove him mad, yes?”

The trader’s [thick, round <-pick one] face expanded in an ingratiating smile. “Who can say? But [even if so, <-cut] surely it would pose no threat to Zorthas, the Dimensionist, a skilled wizard and learned scholar.”

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited May 16, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Well I did this specifically keeping in mind things that people have said or mentioned here. Not because I necessarily believe that particular way of doing things is "better", but because I like to branch out. This way of doing it also fits well with the story idea. I basically wanted to do something Lovecraftian, since I've deen discussing him of late. But I can't really do his exact voice well most of the time, so I'm just using the subject matter and themes, in my own voice and style.

I think I am in the unfortunate situation where many of the people here just strongly dislike many of the styles and forms I use, and some times don't entirely take that into account...luckily, I use a lot of different styles and forms, as the mood strikes me.

I agree with your assesment to, now that you mention it a couple of those small bits can probably go.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Here's a slightly trimmed version

“It came from the far Northern ruins, Master Wizard,” the tradesmen said as he handed the large, musty tome to Zorthas. The sorcerer hesitated a moment-the book had a powerful, alien aura. “One of my suppliers acquired it from an estate sale-apparently the man who took it from the ruins was quite mad, and finally hung himself. His possessions were sold to pay off his debts.”
Zorthas nodded. “And it was this book that drove him mad, yes?”
The trader’s round face expanded in an ingratiating smile. “Who can say? But surely it would pose no threat to Zorthas, the Dimensionist, a skilled wizard and learned scholar.”

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
No surprise, I like it even better (blushing).

Can someone with more time find a link that discusses em dashes? That is, the longer "--" rather than "-". Don't take my word for it, but I think it is a technical error above.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Yea I'm a bit in the dark about that myself. I've always used the "..." method, but many seem to dislike that. All my keyboard has is - and _ of course one could do --.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can someone with more time find a link that discusses em dashes?

This this webpage.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Thanks. I must say I'm a little annoyed they didnt just put it on the standard keyboard..
therin7
Member # 7966

- posted      Profile for therin7   Email therin7         Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure. It sounds like it could turn out very well.
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Not much more to say on this except that "...and finally hung himself." I think should be "...and finally hanged himself."
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Yea your probably right
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

All righty...its finished!

Kathleen, would you be so kind as to remove the "unfinished" from the subject line and add "just over 4k?" Please and thank you.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

A thousand times a thousand thankees Oh Ye of The Changing of Stuff.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh! Haven't been called that before.

Edited to add: You're welcome.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 20, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

When you have a chance, O Ye of the Changing of Stuff, would you remove "untitled" and add "The Dimensionist" to the subject line on this?
Moofle
Member # 7853

- posted      Profile for Moofle   Email Moofle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read this and give a few comments if you send it to me.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Splentacular.
alittleofeverything
Member # 8024

- posted      Profile for alittleofeverything   Email alittleofeverything         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it if you'll send it.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dolphinsrsmart2
Member # 8048

- posted      Profile for dolphinsrsmart2   Email dolphinsrsmart2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love read more as well. Someone took care of the mechanics that I noticed, but I would like a bit more decription of the scene like how does he feel when this creepy salesman offers him a book that supposedly has killed??? Seems like he should be a bit miffed. He should frown or become alert to the danger or should slowly narrow his eyes or something...just my humble opinion...
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I will send you the whole piece, it will probably make better sense in context.

At least I will do, as soon as MSN/hotmail will let me...

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited June 25, 2008).]

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

did you guys actually get the story I sent you?
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm coming in on this a bit late, but I'd like to look at the whole thing if you're still sending it out.

And, for what it's worth, I preferred the original [non-trimmed] opening .

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I will send it to you. Please let me know if you recieve it. Its been 3 weeks + since I sent it out to the last couple requests and I havent really heard anything.
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya, just downloaded the manuscript - will have some feedback for you asap
Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.