Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Sweet Spot

Author Topic: The Sweet Spot
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake Tomlinson had a sweet spot in his garden. In the exact center of the acre of fertile land he lovingly cared for behind his church, there was a small area - five feet across, no more - where the soil was richer, the air a little sweeter, where the sun shimmered a little brighter.
Pastor Mark just laughed and shook his head, clapping Jake on the back in baffled approval. "I don't know how you do it, Jake. I can't get half-a-dozen tomato plants to give me enough tomatoes for a BLT half a yard away. But you! You have the Garden of Eden sprouting at your fingertips."
He didn't really want to know, though. Because after he made his little speech, after he'd laughed in that self-deprecating way and pummeled Jake's shoulder, he'd walk away without ever

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 07, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
Jake Tomlinson had a sweet spot in his garden.

In the exact center of the acre of fertile land he lovingly cared for behind his church, there was a small area - five feet across, no more - where the soil was richer, the air a little sweeter, where the sun shimmered a little brighter.

This sentence read really long for me. Could probably be split of to better effect. Also, I can't picture the sun shimmering for some reason. Shimmer seems like a faint reflection to me.

Pastor Mark just laughed and shook his head, clapping Jake on the back in baffled approval.

Pastor Mark kind of jumps out of nowhere here. And the "just" after his name makes it seem like he was doing something right before this. Does that make sense?

"I don't know how you do it, Jake. I can't get half-a-dozen tomato plants to give me enough tomatoes for a BLT half a yard away. But you! You have the Garden of Eden sprouting at your fingertips."

This is well-written dialog. My only complaint is the tomato-tomatoes so close together. Maybe you could find a way to say the same thing while only using the word tomato once.

He didn't really want to know, though. Because after he made his little speech, after he'd laughed in that self-deprecating way and pummeled Jake's shoulder, he'd walk away without ever bothering to ask Jake's opinion of what he needed to do to perk up his plants. Nice

I'm not sure I'm hooked, but I do feel some empathy for Jake, and am a little curious about his gardening abilities, but some hints that there is something more sinister, or magical might help sink the hook. More conflict maybe?

[This message has been edited by alliedfive (edited August 07, 2008).]

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

abolutely spot on (yuck, yuck, yuck) and very helpful. Thanks. This is actually horror, so you can guess what lies under the sweet spot, I just haven't figured out where to work it (translate: him) in, yet. I'm probably going to wind it up tonight, and then look at where the changes need to be.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 07, 2008).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds pretty cool. AlliedFive hit a lot of good points. But he didn't call them "grave errors," har har.

The POV had me confused, though. Jake seemed the MC at first, but then the omniscience of the narration about Pastor Mark's motives made me wonder if he was the MC.

--WouldBe

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Oh, I agree. alliedfive had me dead to rights. Maybe I should weed my prose.
debhoag
Member # 5493

I backed up a little bit:

The pastor stood on the wide back porch of the church, looking out at the bountiful field stretching out before him. Next to the pastor stood a dissolute, middle-aged man who had wandered into the service looking for a handout. The man had proved extremely hard to shake, and Pastor Mark was somewhat relieved that Mr. Grinder had taken an interest in the garden. A shade short of desperate, he had called out for the gardener to come over and show Mr. Grinder around. In his own way, the gardener was just as odd as Mr. Grinder, thought the pastor. Maybe they would hit it off, and the pastor could retire back to the chicken dinner his wife was holding for him.
Grinder, finder, grin and whiner, thought Jake Tomlinson as they were introduced. The man's hands were nearly as grimy as

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited August 08, 2008).]

WouldBe
Member # 5682

I have to admit, I think the first opening is more interesting. You get a feel right away where the story is heading.

The second opening introduces three characters, but little about the story direction.

It took me awhile to figure out that "Grinder, finder, grin and whiner," was a characterization of Mr. Grinder. I was quite a sudden and broad sizing-up of a stranger and so I was trying to apply it to the pastor as well.

You might want to use the name "Mr. Grinder" earlier. Over three sentences, he'd been referred to as "a man" and "he" twice before giving his name.

--Bill

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm with WouldBe on this one. The first one was better, and I think correctly highlighted the moment that the pastor noticed something was amiss. Apart from the small prose nits I had, I think all that opening needs is a hint of foreshadowing, something to let me know that maybe there's something sinister or magical happening.
Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

You know, I think there ought to be a rule that you guys aren't allowed to go back and pick the first opening over the new one. That doesn't seem fair! But . . . I'll talk to the characters and see what I can do. Maybe they'll listen to you.
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the crowd on preferring the first version. I like the way it reads and the way it leads directly to the tantalizingly named sweet spot. A couple of details already mentioned by others:

Pastor Mark is rather abrupt in his appearance.

The final paragraph looks as if it might be preparing to transition into why the spot is so fertile, but it comes over as a little to wordy; I think the repetition of after... is mostly to blame.

Any which way you take it, I'd be happy to read.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Thanks! I'll finish it up tonight or manana and get it out. I don't actually know what the sweet spot is, entirely, so I'm waiting to find out, too.
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Debhoag,

I'll add my voice to the chorus and say that the first version worked better. I really think it was pretty good except the second sentence was wordy. It needed to be broken up a bit and you might have wanted to think of a stronger way to work the hook in, but all-in-all I didn't think that was that much wrong with it.

Cheers,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Jake Tomlinson had a sweet spot in his garden. It stood in the exact center of the acre of fertile land he lovingly cared for behind the church. It was a small area - five feet across, no more - where the soil was richer, the air a little sweeter, where the sun shone a little brighter.
Occasionally, Pastor Mark would drop by the small shed Jake called home, and beam approvingly at Jake and the garden. "That green thumb must go all the way up your arm, Jake." Then he'd laugh and shake his head, clapping Jake on the back in baffled approval. "I don't know how you do it. I can't get half-a-dozen tomato plants to produce enough for a BLT, just half a yard away. But you! You have the Garden of Eden sprouting at your fingertips."
Pastor Mark didn't really want to know, though.

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 09, 2008).]

WouldBe
Member # 5682

Deb, I think I like the second opening better.
*ducks*

WouldBe
Member # 5682

Seriously, folks, this one looks good.
debhoag
Member # 5493

you are sooo bad! Are we having a virtual coffee clatch? Mine is espresso with choc/cherry cream and a bowl of captain crunch on the side.
debhoag
Member # 5493

Done and looking for readers. Word Count 3500, genre: Horror. Any takers?
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I read?
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it over Deb.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

delighted! it's on the way, Darklight, AWSullivan and Toby Western. I'd send it to Wouldbe, but he's busy fighting the elf mites off the morphine drip.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Your viewpoint character is very hard to nail down in these first few lines. You tell what more than one character is thinking in the second version. But I’m going to assume that your MC is actually Jake Tomlinson, because that’s the impression I get overall. The first version is better. The second is too busy and confusing.

quote:
Jake Tomlinson had a sweet spot in his garden. In the exact center of the acre of fertile land he lovingly cared for behind his church, there was a small area - five feet across, no more - where the soil was richer, the air a little sweeter, where the sun shimmered a little brighter.

One could assume from this that Jake is the pastor since you say it’s his garden and his church. Of course we soon find out he is most likely just a member of the church and the actual pastor is introduced. Just change “his” into “the” in both instances and it works very well. Shimmer works if there are some large old trees on the land, but you don’t state that - i.e. “where the sun shimmered a little brighter through the fluttering gold and lime leaves of the tall eucalyptus trees”

Oh, and to break that long sentence up you could write, “…small area - five feet across, no more. Here the soil was richer,…”

quote:
Pastor Mark just laughed and shook his head, clapping Jake on the back in baffled approval. "I don't know how you do it, Jake. I can't get half-a-dozen tomato plants to give me enough tomatoes for a BLT half a yard away. But you! You have the Garden of Eden sprouting at your fingertips."

This is fine except for the “half a yard away.” Just not clear enough; I would change it to “not thirty feet away,” or something like that.

quote:
He didn't really want to know, though. Because after he made his little speech, after he'd laughed in that self-deprecating way and pummeled Jake's shoulder, he'd walk away without ever

I would say “The Pastor obviously didn't really want to know though, because after he made his remarks, after he’d laughed in that self-deprecating way and pummeled Jake's shoulder, he walked away without ever…”
Check the small changes. This establishes your POV in a clearer manner.

I like the imagery and the characters you establish quite quickly. Its as hooky as half the stuff that’s published so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Send it over.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

With pleasure, tnwilz. I think the issues you raised got taken care of in the rewrite, I'll send it over as is.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.