Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Stoplight Secret

Author Topic: The Stoplight Secret
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the opening to another flash story (~900 words) about gnomes. I have a gut feeling that I used a tense form incorrectly somewhere in the story. If you're a tense expert or willing to review the full story for other issues, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

-----

You seem trustworthy, so I will tell you my discovery of a world I could not have imagined before.

On a quiet day on a quiet county street near my home, I strolled to an intersection overhung with a single stoplight. I was admiring roadside wildflowers when I heard a squeak from above. I looked to the wires holding the light, where a creature about the size of a tennis ball fumbled for a moment before falling from the wire. I raced into the street just in time to save the creature from the pavement. In retrospect, my action had been dangerous. Remember the childhood warnings to check both ways before stepping into the street and to stay away from strange animals?

Anyway, this strange animal gaped up at me. To my

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I like gnomes.

Sorry, but the first line leaves me cold. I don't think you need to justify why you're telling the story. Also, you don't know me and can't judge my trustworthiness; and if you discover something, it almost goes without saying that you could not have imagined it before.

I'd suggest thinking this through a little:

Were you strolling to the intersection, or was it on the way to where you were going?

Why did you decide to save the creature? What made you feel sorry for it? How did you know it wasn't a rat, or something that would bite?

I believe it's about 15 feet from a stop light wire to the ground, and it'll fall that distance in one second--you're Superman-fast if you ran across the road in less than a second, methinks.

I'd drop the introspection about it being dangerous. It slows the story down and anyway, you already said it was quiet--twice--so it was a reasonable bet there was no traffic to hit you.

How does an animal gape? (And, if it was the gnome, wouldn't you say so?)

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The frame story doesn't feel right to me. It's a bit cliche and contrived. If you want to use the first person, just use it. Tell the story as it happens. Rather than hooking me, which I presume was the intent, the first line was a turn off. The idea of someone walking down the street and seeing a creature out of this world, or at least the MC's understanding was more of a hook. A bit less introspection/telling would help, IMHO. If you keep the frame story, the MC's telling us about events that have already happened and so instead of saying "the creature" the MC would say "the Evil Robot Monkey ("ERM")"

my take:

quote:
You seem trustworthy, so I will tell you my discovery of a world I could not have imagined before Really? This seems contrived

On a quiet day on a quiet county street near my home, I strolled to an intersection overhung with a single stoplight.

how to explain what's bothering me. I live in the country. So that's part of it. We don't have stop lights unless it's a major intersection. At best, there's a stop sign. The "quiet day on a quiet" is repetative. I doubt the MC would think of the location as "near" his house. It's either by the Grove's, Mitchell's, Kings's, the barn the tornado smashed in, Grove Store or Huge Store. Since "blocks" can go on for miles, we navigate by landmarks or people's property lines. So, after babbling about it, I know why this struck me as off. It's contrived again. Also, "strolled "to" an intersection?" It was the MC's destination?

I was admiring roadside wildflowers A bit cliche - stopping to smell the flowers when I heard a squeak from above.

I looked to at the wires holding the light, where a creature about the size of a tennis ball fumbled for a moment before falling from the wire. I think this is passive. Wouldn't it be cleaner to say - "A ERM the size of a tennis ball fumbled on the wire above and fell" - or something like it?

I raced into the street just in time to save the creature from the pavement. Boy are you fast. Again, your using a lot of words. While you might be trying to set a voice, it seems to me a bit overdone

In retrospect, my action had been dangerous. Hu? Why did we jump in time again? I think this stops the story Remember the childhood warnings to check both ways before stepping into the street and to stay away from strange animals?

Anyway, this strange animal gaped up at me. To my

I like the idea. Try trimming to clarify the action without losing the voice you want.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, TaleSpinner; I do need to think through my story. Your comments and kings_falcon's gave me directions for my thoughts.

I sometimes forget how normal people's actions differ from mine. I choose intersections as destinations for my walks. I stop to look at wildflowers when I see them. I also can catch what most people can't, though now I agree the MC's catch requires a stretch of the imagination.

Thank you both for your help. I’ll post the new first 13 when I finish the rewrite.

~Ann

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
This begining is a classic cliche.

So and so sat/walked looked out of the window and saw something weird. It is cliche apparently to begin with a boring scenario and then up-the-ante by having something strange happen out of nowhere. I hate to use the term he used, but it was something along the lines of 'new writer's mistake'. Apparently, this is because new writers tend to begin with what they see, their house, their neighborhood, then something odd happens. The example he (OSC, as mentioned further down) used ran along the lines of:

I sat in the house reading the paper when all of a sudden I heard something strange happening outside. I rushed out in time to see an alien space-craft (or whatever)...

He said this makes the protaganist come across as reactive to events (initial impression), and therefore almost passive.

I think OSC said this in one of his books, 'How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy'. Not sure if that is the precise title. Many stories do start in this way, but they are interesting for another reason until the weird stuff begins.

I am sure your story becomes very interesting, but I thought you ought to be aware of the cliche. It is avoidable.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited September 09, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.