Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Twofers (title in flux), unfinished

Author Topic: Twofers (title in flux), unfinished
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finished the story now, if anyone would like to take a look at it -- about 7,600 words. Also, the revised top is below.

Original:
Eddie lost control of his other body somewhere between the gas station and the grocery store. Instead of picking up skim milk and beef jerky, he took a detour and was robbing the Bank of America. Where he had gotten the gun and ski mask, Eddie didn’t know.

Eddie slumped in the McDonald’s booth and slurped his chocolate milkshake. He had been humming to Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas,” piped over the mall speaker system, but now his attention was on the robbery. He hoped his other self didn’t get arrested. That would be a tough one to talk his way out of.

The scanner on his belt beeped and transmitted some static. Then a voice came through: “Hey, Eddie, you there,

Revised version:
Eddie lost control of his other body somewhere between the gas station and the grocery store. Instead of picking up skim milk and beef jerky, he detoured to the nearest Wells Fargo and proceeded to rob it. Where the black ski mask and gun had come from, Eddie didn't know.

He slumped in his booth, sipped his decaf and hummed along to the mall’s holiday music; white Christmases were overrated, no matter what Bing Crosby said. The restaurant was stuffy, like someone had overcompensated with the heater, and it smelled of grease and salt. Some kid was launching fries at his back like soggy missiles.

He hoped his other self didn't get arrested. That would be tough to worm out of.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited October 19, 2008).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
This got my interest. The premise seems inviting enough. I think the prose could be ironed out. Pronouns seemed to be used excessively.

As there is only one character, many sentences can be structured with an implied subject and therefore eliminating the need to repeat name and pronouns.

Good Start.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome first line. The premise has me hooked. I'll read when you're finished.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback! I rejiggered the prose a bit. How's this?

#

Eddie lost control of his other body somewhere between the gas station and the grocery store. Instead of picking up skim milk and beef jerky, he detoured to a Wells Fargo, pulled on a black ski mask and proceeded to rob the bank.

Eddie slumped in the McDonald's booth, sipped his decaf and hummed to Bing Crosby's "White Christmas," the current jingle being piped over the mall speaker system. Some kid was pitching fries at his back, but he ignored it. His attention was on the robbery. He hoped his other self didn't get arrested; that would be tough to worm out of.

The scanner at his belt fuzzed with static. Then a voice came through: "Hey, Eddie, you there, man? It’s Bill."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
i definately liked the first line, too. i read it at least twice, before continuing.
the revision flows much better.
i would read on.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would start the second paragraph with "He" instead of "Eddie". This is mainly because we already know who slumped into the McDonald's booth and it would read a bit smoother. If it was someone else, then I would use a person's name, but this is just me and how I would've done it .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ianknowland
Member # 8240

- posted      Profile for ianknowland   Email ianknowland         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first sentence as well, but I LOVED the second and third sentences for some reason. In the first draft, I mean. If it were mine I would keep those. I'm smitten with no good explanation!

On the second draft, the last spoken line could use at least one less comma in my opinion. It's too broken up and if I read it out loud I wouldn't pause between "Hey" and "Eddie", and maybe not between "there" and "man", though that one could go either way. Also, I had a thought that maybe since there's static, the message might come in broken and then clear up. Like:

"He-- Ed--ou there---n? Eddie? It's Bill--can--hear me?"

That's quite possibly the worst demonstration of a broken message in all of the world. But you get what I mean, I hope. Just an idea, like I said. It works great either way! Keep it up!

Edit: And I agree with the suggestions above for changing the pronoun usage. Good call, people.

[This message has been edited by ianknowland (edited October 06, 2008).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Nice idea on the scanner breaking up, but I'm not sure it would work in practice. Those two characters do need to trade a few lines with some amount of clarity. Maybe a tiny bit of breakup would work.

I'll think about putting the line back in about not knowing where the gun and mask came from.

Thanks.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Bump.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Good work. I assume I'm already on your list to read this.

I had a problem with the second paragraph also with the name, Eddie. I found it confusing. Eddie is the physical body in the McDonalds, right? So, I think it might be clearer if you have some way, a name or something, to help differentiate between the two bodies.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely keep "Where the black ski mask and gun had come from, Eddie didn't know." That's a great line! This is a cool premise.

I am a bit confused. It sounds like there's Eddie (the mind/soul) who resides in a primary body and controls a secondary body. Does he think from within the perspective of the secondary body? I so want to see where you're going with this! Heck, send it over but I don't promise to get to it, okay?

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya .

Definitely liked this one, and I much prefer the revised version.

The only tiny grumble is the slightly jarring shift from robbery to McDonalds, but I think that's probably unavoidable when you're writing a story in which the main character has 2 bodies.

If you're sending this out, I'd like to read the rest .
Daniel.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.