Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Brink (13,500 words, Sci-Fi)

Author Topic: Brink (13,500 words, Sci-Fi)
ereitman
Member # 8265

- posted      Profile for ereitman   Email ereitman         Edit/Delete Post 
Alred Tyrfen leaned against the balcony’s energy field and marveled at the internices slowly consuming the planet below. Life in Weylon’s Upper Reaches continued much as it had always done, but even the UR would not remain immune forever. Though it had not touched down in generations, an upper needs a lower, and the lower was disintegrating. {P} The energy field sparkled with alphas and Tyrfen blinked back the after images of a massive atomic somewhere on the pipeway between Hustigon and NewTown. Then darkness, and Tyrfen gripped the railing as hemanites raced to rebuild his unexpectedly smoldering retinas. {P} Gamma radiation should not have pierced the field. The UR was stalling, conserving power to stave off the inevitable; but

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 24, 2008).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested enough to keep reading.

I'm confused about the energy field. Is this simply a barrier between Tyrfen and whatever is beyond the balcony, or does it act like a screen with images? I'm asking because you do mention an image of "a massive atomic" but I don't understand where he's seeing that.

Also, I would keep any unfamiliar words out of the first sentence: i.e., internices. A better hook, I think, would be something like: "Alred Tyrfen leaned against the balcony's energy field and marveled as the planet below was consumed."

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ereitman
Member # 8265

Thanks for that. How's this?

Alred Tyrfen leaned against the balcony’s force field and marveled at the fiery web of conflicts slowly consuming the planet below. Life in Weylon’s Upper Reaches continued much as it had always done, but even the UR would not remain immune forever. Though it had not touched down in generations, an upper needs a lower, and the lower was disintegrating. {P} The energy field sparkled with alphas and Tyrfen blinked back the after images of a massive atomic somewhere on the pipeway between Hustigon and NewTown. Then darkness, and Tyrfen gripped the railing as hemanites raced to rebuild his unexpectedly smoldering retinas. {P} Gamma radiation should not have pierced the field. The UR was stalling, conserving power to stave off the inevitable; but

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 24, 2008).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, ereitman, and welcome to Hatrack.

If {P} means paragraph break, it's not in the spirit of Hatrack's first 13 idea--which, as you'll know from the FAQ, is to share the first few lines of a manuscript that would be seen by a slush-pile reader so that we can tell you if we're hooked. With the {P} thing I think you're sharing a little more than 13 lines.

I have a feeling you're witholding, that the narrator knows more than is being said in the hope that puzzling the reader will entice her to read on. I think stories should be about problems faced by characters, not puzzles set for the reader by the narrator.

For example, is Weylon a planet or a character? Are the Upper Reaches a name for a planet's upper atmosphere or the name of a space ship--and are they singular or plural? What is a fiery web of conflicts? What is a massive atomic somewhere? (I guess you mean a massive atomic, but I'm no wiser if you do.)

With so many unknowns I'd not read on--but, you seem to have a way with imagery, so if I could understand what was happening, I might.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

While it's a nice opening image, there's a lot of jargon thrown about without context. Your protagonist knows what's happening, so why don't we? I think you could get to the point (the thingy failing) in a line and give us the technical details as the story goes on.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
You've had some good advice already. I like the setting and flavor of the story opening. To add to what Talespinner said, the post rules are to protect your first-publishing rights. A publisher may consider a story "already published" if too much appears on an open web site.

Maybe this as new term in your story: internices. Did you mean interstices?

--Bill

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
If you slow down the jargon a bit you probably would hook me with this one. As it is, I get thrown out of the story wondering what the heck the following words refer to:

1)"the fiery web of conflicts"
2) Weylon - although for now I've assumed it's the planet Alred is above.
3) alphas
4) atomic - although for now I've assumed it was a bomb
5) pipeway
6) Hustigon- assuming it's a town on the planet
7) NewTown - Ditto the assumption
8) hemanities
9) "unexpectedly smoldering retinas" - really, the part of his eyes are somehow smoldering or is this something else?
10) field - I assume it's the forcefield but since I'm guessing on so much, I'm not 100% comfortable assuming that.

The hook for me was this dude is standing somewhere watching a planet fall apart. The retinas and the rest can wait for me. I'm wondering who he is and where the heck he is. If you slow down the introduction of the new terms it would be an easier read. The premise was interesting and there were somewhat shorter sentances than your other stories .

It's a solid start.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done, no real problems. Couple of nits:

* 'Life in Weylon’s Upper Reaches continued much as it had always done, but even the UR would not remain immune forever.' - if possible, I'd find a way of rephrasing it to eliminate 'UR' (it took me a moment to think '... oooh, Upper Reaches, right').
* As kings_falcon said, I'd tone down the jargon a tiny bit (like, one or two less things). I could mostly figure out what things were, but 'alphas' still puzzles me (alpha particles?). That said, I preferred 'internices' to 'fiery web of conflicts'.

I think the danger here is that you've thrown your readers into a pretty steep learning curve: lots of complicated stuff going on, and no bones about it. If you tone that down just a fraction, I think you'll have hit the right balance.

Other than that, I too am intrigued by the guy standing on a balcony and watching a planet die (and by the ship [space station? thingie] that's starting to fail). I'd read on.

Hope this helps,
Daniel.

[This message has been edited by bluephoenix (edited October 24, 2008).]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ereitman
Member # 8265

Thanks, everyone. Here's the new new first thirteen. Comments?

Alred Tyrfen leaned against the balcony’s energy field, sipped his drink, and marveled at the fiery patchwork of conflicts slowly consuming the world. While life in Weyland’s Upper Reaches continued much as it had always done, Tyrfen knew this to be deceptive. The shining web of cloud-borne metropoli had been so long aloft that it often seemed a world unto itself; but an upper needs a lower, and the lower was disintegrating.
The energy field sparkled with gamma radiation and Tyrfen blinked back the after images of a massive explosion somewhere on the pipeway between Hustigon and NewTown. Then darkness, and Tyrfen gripped the railing as hemanites raced to rebuild his rad-seared retinas. This was unexpected. The field should have protected him. The Reach was stalling, conserving power

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 27, 2008).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
ereitman,

I really like this one. No real issues - some questionable punctuation, but nothing critical. Excellent!

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ereitman
Member # 8265

Thanks, philocinemas, but where were you when I went to see "Max Payne" last night!? That's $10 and two hours of my life that I'd like back.

Seriously though, I appreciate all the great comments. The story is currently too long, but I'll post on this thread when I get it down to sub-10k. At that point I'd really like to have a couple of people read the first few pages.

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
This version is better IMHO, for cloud-borne metropoli are intruiging.

Ttyrfen knew what to be deceptive?

"an upper needs a lower, and the lower was disintegrating" -- nice line

Should there be a hyphen linking the words "after images"?

"Then darkness ..." When I read this I saw darkness on the ground below, and it took a while to realize that this was Tyrfen's sensation, inside his head so to speak. I think you need to make it clear that he's lost his sight so that we're carried along with what he's experiencing; having to piece it all together destroys the pace.

Finally, the idea that the Reach (Reaches?) is (are?) stalling seems unconnected to what went before. Is the conservation of power the reason the field failed to protect him? Is this his thought, or is the narrator telling us?

Hope this helps,
Pat

[This message has been edited by TaleSpinner (edited October 27, 2008).]

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar difficulty with the "darkness" line, but I thought the entire piece was a little tough. This is not to say I didn't enjoy it, but that I had to put forth a little more concentration than usual as I read it. However, I enjoy a challenging piece now and then.

I understood the stalling "Reaches" to be draining power from the energy field as the world below is being destroyed.

BTW, I didn't see Max Payne, instead I chose to see Quarantine which I would recommend.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

My whole take on the jargon thing and this opening is that I'd be expecting a really good concept or idea to come up pretty soon if I'm going to stick with it. At the moment, I'd be slightly worried that it's empty jargon, but I'd be willing to take it on trust. I'll stick with writers like Ted Chiang and Greg Egan opening with jargon (and info-dumping), but I know what they're going to do. I'd probably feel more comfortable if you eased us in with the jargon or hit me with a mind-blowing idea early up.

Regards,

Nick

P.S. Max Payne seemed like a waste of time purely from the trailer. I've seen Rec, the original upon which Quarantine is based and it was pretty good. Most reviews seem to indicate that Rec was the better version.

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited October 28, 2008).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.