Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Intergalactic Nuisance

Author Topic: Intergalactic Nuisance
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this here awhile ago. Slush readers at another site have complained that they do not like my first two paragraphs. I rewrote a new opening, What do you think?

quote:
Harold Travis stepped out of his house and onto his bone-dry land. Everyday he got up to greet the day. Everyday he prayed that his curse would be lifted. Everyday he was disappointed. The Nagoona’s city-sized purple ship still hovered over his house, the shadow robbing his ranch of nourishing rain and sun. Only a dust-covered circle remained of his homestead.
He lifted his hunting rifle and pointed it at the ship.
The gun kicked. A dog yelping sounded from the floating behemoth. Each time the aliens would produce a different noise. Yesterday, the dinging of a bell from a carnival game. The day before, a woman screaming. It was never the same.
They think they’re so funny.

2nd version

quote:
Harold Travis stepped out of his house and onto his bone-dry land. Every morning he got up to greet the day. Every morning he prayed that his curse would be lifted. Every morning he was disappointed. The Nagoona’s city-sized purple ship still hovered over his house, the shadow robbing his ranch of nourishing rain and sun. Only a dust-covered circle remained of his homestead.
He lifted his hunting rifle and pointed it at the ship.
The gun kicked. The sound of a dog yelping boomed down from the floating behemoth. Each time the aliens would produce a different noise. Yesterday it was the dinging of a bell from a carnival game, the day before, a woman screamed. It was never the same.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited December 17, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Quite entertaining, I like the light funny voice.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the original, but here are my comments on this one...

quote:
A dog yelping sounded from the floating behemoth. Each time the aliens would produce a different noise. Yesterday, the dinging of a bell from a carnival game. The day before, a woman screaming. It was never the same.

I think you could tighten this up a bit. The "A dog yelping sounded" sentence gives me some problems - it's awkward for me. Perhaps something like, "A yelping dog sound eminated"? I think it's the arrangement of the "dog yelping".

Also, I'm not sure you need, "It was never the same." You've already indicated that by saying, "each time the aliens would produce a different noise." You may consider dropping one of them. Maybe you could drop both and still keep the idea that it was always different, "The day before, a woman screaming. The day before that..." Not sure if the dots work in writing, but it seems like a comedy, so...?

Overall, it's not bad. Sort of reminds me of Independence Day meets Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (or at least what I'd imagine it to be if I had actually read it). :-)

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Would a dog yelped and drop 'sounded' suffice?
I see what you mean about the redundant double speak. It seemed to benefit the comiedic tone of sameness in my MC's life. Maybe I should think more on the lines of a sci-fi writer than a humorous one.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited December 15, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Well you want the readers to understand that it was the *sound* of a dog yelping, not an actual dog yelping, right? Coming right after the rifle kicked, a dog yelping actually made me think that the MC shot a dog. I don't think that's what you want me to think as a reader, right?

Additionally, I recommend using "every day" instead of "everyday" - which has a whole different meaning. You know, like everyday china. Everyday as one word is more of an adjective. Every day he does this. Every day he does that. It carries more of that monotone voice you're aiming for, which I think is excellent and a good match for humor.

Good luck with this!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kee Stone
Member # 8282

- posted      Profile for Kee Stone   Email Kee Stone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. Its seems kind of random, but told in a way that made me laugh. Just a couple thoughts...

"Everyday he got up to greet the day. Everyday he prayed that his curse would be lifted. Everyday he was disappointed."
I love what you did, using 'everyday' to quickly set the scene. Its a little wordy, and might be better if you combined them all into one sentence. Don't use the word 'day' twice in the first sentence; make it more personal, like "Every morning he rose to a new day. Every morning he prayed that the nuisance would be gone. Every morning, he was disappointed."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this has a lot of potential to be good, but it is not good. It's ok. It works. Now take it and make it alive. Let the story breath, and then I'll want to read more.

I want to laugh some more. (huh)

Good luck.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A dog yelping sounded from the floating behemoth. Each time the aliens would produce a different noise. Yesterday, the dinging of a bell from a carnival game. The day before, a woman screaming. It was never the same.

ok. the doge yleping sounded, threw me. I stumbled there, but another reader was right. It shoudnt be a dog yelped, but the sound of a dog yelping.

I might suggest. the sound of a dog yelping floated behemoth. Yesterday, it was the dinging of a bell from a cranival game. The day before, a woman screaming. It was never the same.

I think there is no need for the line of each time the aliens made a differnet sound. I feel you tell it there versus showing it, which you do so well with your 3 following lines.

Anyways, just my thoughts. Good overall though.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
What was the criticism? And what is the genre of the other board?

Other than the dog yelping- thing I think it's good. I post things at a different board (fantasy with some romance) as well, and its always interesting to see the different things that the groups comment on. Often, it seems genre related.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thanks everyone! New version above
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Aliens with a sense of humor. I like it!

Still...it makes me wonder why they're (seemingly) intentionally damaging the MC's ranch. Is that humor they're exercising, or mockery? I definitely want to know. I would keep reading, so consider me hooked.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

Just one quick comment... otherwise, I'm hooked.

quote:
Yesterday it was the dinging of a bell from a carnival game, the day before, a woman screamed.

The grammar shifts tense -- "dinging" vice "screamed". You may consider making them both the same -- "Yesterday, it was a bell dinging. The day before, a woman screaming." OR "Yesterday it was the dinging of a bell. The day before, a woman screaming."

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherpa7
Member # 8321

- posted      Profile for Sherpa7   Email Sherpa7         Edit/Delete Post 
Or perhaps "the ding of a bell and a woman's scream."
Whatever, I liked it because it was clear. I could understand the situation. No "huh?" I'd like to read more.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

@LAPD

quote:
What was the criticism? And what is the genre of the other board?

The crit was the first two paragraphs was too slow but it became interesting after that. It is on the Baens Universe Slush Forum.
This piece I get a lot of comments on. They almost all say some thing like...

I really liked this and thought it was funny but I think it would be better if...

and to a tee, that if is never the same. EVERYBODY has an idea what this story is lacking and EVERYBODY's idea is a unique one. Humor can be so subjective, however 90% of the people that read it said it is funny+. Unfortunately, none of those people has been an editor, yet.

If anyone would like to read it, I'd be happy to send it to you. Could use another set of eyes. I am considering sending it to KDW. The She Who Must Be Impressed KDW and not our She Who Must Be Obeyed KDW.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, sorry I'm coming in late to this. I love your "2nd version" - I don't see anything wrong with it, except the tense change that KPK commented on. I'd like to read it. I've got some other commitments as far as crits go, so I won't be able to get it back to you until about a week after Christmas - is that OK?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that She Who Must Be Impressed KDW and I are twins? She has blue eyes, though, and I have brown eyes, and I'm a little taller.

A shorter way to distinguish between us is by calling her KDW and me kdw.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
This has a great voice. Droll, yet humorous, it would certainly keep me reading. If the criticism is about the pace of the first paragraph, then there are two things that would speed it up without compromising the voice.

Harold Travis stepped out of his house and onto his bone-dry land. Every morning he got up to greet the day.<- Cut that sentence. The drollness is set by the next two sentences. Every morning he prayed that his curse would be lifted. Every morning he was disappointed. The Nagoona’s city-sized purple overused adjectives here, slows the pace far too much ship still hovered over his house, the shadow robbing his ranch of nourishing rain and sun. Only a dust-covered once again, an unwieldy adjective circle remained of his homestead.

On this last sentence, perhaps you should address the dust directly, rather than as simply a quality of a circle. For example, The slow wind picked up dust, which now circled the entire homestead.

Good luck with this.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seacat
Member # 7957

- posted      Profile for seacat   Email seacat         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

You can send it to me if you like. I'm hooked. I agree that every day or every morning would be better than everyday, and that the tenses of screaming should coincide with dinging, just to have the tenses consistent.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this on the bar a few days ago. It wasn't to my taste, but I liked the last passage quite a bit (roughly the last 9-10 paragraphs). I particularly enjoyed the last line, which got an audible snort of amusement.

Regarding the first 13, it turned me off in both versions. When I first saw the story on the bar I stopped reading (both times) almost exactly at the same point you get cut off here. I went back and read the whole thing when I noticed that you were the author, since you take the time to help a lot of people here on Hatrack.

I had a couple of problems with the introduction. In the first paragraph the only interesting note is the big purple ship. I understand Harold has to be dry and humorless for the story to work, but you've let his perspective dominate in your first 13 to the point of turning the paragraph itself dry and humorless (literally, even, in that you begin with him stepping onto his "bone dry land"). The cadence of "every day" or "every morning" repeated thrice in a row reinforces the impression that we're going to take a ride in the head of the most boring character in history. By the time you get to him shooting the gun that act, too, has become droll, when it really should be a hook.

Once I'm in that mindset, the changing sounds coming from the ship just don't make sense to me. Then I scratch my head as to why he does it every day if it doesn't have any effect, but it doesn't make me curious enough to keep reading. When I get to Harold's first thought, I discover that he really is the most boring character in history, and what's more -I don't even like him-. That's where you really lose me.

When people say your story starts too slow, I think the problem is really that your story starts with a tone completely different from where you want to take it, and you spill too much ink moving from dull, boring Harold to the humor of absurd pranks being pulled on him (also because I don't think the changing gunshot sound gag works). Who would think this was a comedy from reading the first 13? But that's what it is.

I won't comment on the story as a whole since this is a first 13 crit, but consider starting off with Harold lifting his rife in the very first sentence (and for the very first time), and use the gun gag from the last passage here, instead. I think that might set the tone better,

Anyway, just my opinion.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thanks Khalan,

You gave me quite a bit to think about and a firm direction to procede.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is bugging me, so...

quote:

quote:Yesterday it was the dinging of a bell from a carnival game, the day before, a woman screamed.

The grammar shifts tense -- "dinging" vice "screamed". You may consider making them both the same -- "Yesterday, it was a bell dinging. The day before, a woman screaming." OR "Yesterday it was the dinging of a bell. The day before, a woman screaming."

This is not a tense issue. Rather, it's an issue of parallel form. The reader expects a certain symmetry. So:

Yesterday, it was the dinging of a bell... the day before ["it was" is expected here] a woman screamed.

Otherwise, it sounds as if the woman's screaming is unrelated to the dinging of a bell.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, I found the first 13 very humorous - very Douglas Adams-like. Although I've always liked dry humor (and puns).

I agree with you, annepin; I also saw it as an issue of parallelism, but I was just being lazy. Technically one was past progressive and the other simple past, so I just went along with KPK.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

quote:
Okay, this is bugging me, so...

Wow...good thing I didn't do something heinous like split an infinitive. Sorry I bugged you.

"was dinging" -- past progressive; "screamed" - past (simple past)... they're different for no good reason - that was my point. It was distracting. If it's faulty "parallelism", then fine. Got it. Thanks.

quote:

quote:Yesterday it was the dinging of a bell from a carnival game, the day before, a woman screamed.

quote:
This is not a tense issue. Rather, it's an issue of parallel form. The reader expects a certain symmetry. So:

Yesterday, it was the dinging of a bell... the day before ["it was" is expected here] a woman screamed.

Otherwise, it sounds as if the woman's screaming is unrelated to the dinging of a bell.

snapper
Member # 7299

Whoa! Whoa you two.

I changed that blurb. Regardless how you want to classify it, it's obviously is wrong. In fact, I will probably change the enitire opening. Khahlan is correct. The opening doesn't have the hook that this piece needs. I plan on printing it to day to meet a deadline but what do you think of this?

quote:
Harold Travis opened his front door a crack and poked the barrel of his rifle through the gap. He did a quick scan of the area. No flaming bags on his welcome mat. No signs of toilet paper, or any other similar type of decoration, hanging off his roof. No buckets of liquid in position to dump on his head. The Nagoona already pulled these pranks on him once. They never did the same thing twice but one could never be too cautious.
He kicked the door wide and swung his rifle from side to side. Nothing jumped out at him. He probed the floorboards of his front porch, half expecting a trap door or something to spring up. Nothing. Harold step off his porch and onto his bone-dry land, peering up at the city-sized purple monstrosity that was still in the same position it had been for the past year.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited December 25, 2008).]

KPKilburn
Member # 6876

I like the second version. It's quite catchy. Better than the first, but I liked both.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see anything wrong with the tone or content of the first (KPK had the advantage of reading the rest, which may have had a different tone). The second does have a different tone, and is a still enjoyable. There are a couple of lines I found a bit unclear.

The Nagoona already pulled these pranks on him once. They never did the same thing twice but one could never be too cautious.

The first of these sentences is redundant, as the only information contained is who are pulling the pranks. It felt a little like we were being told for our benefit, not the story's. Melding it with the next sentence would improve it. E.g.

"The Nagoona never pulled the same prank twice, but one could never be too cautious."

Harold step off his porch and onto his bone-dry land, peering up at the city-sized purple monstrosity that was still in the same position it had been for the past year.

This sentence is too long and seems to change subject. Split it into two sentences after "monstrosity".

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.