Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Scotch and Stories / Sci-fi/ 1100 words/ Part of "Rhinoplast" series

Author Topic: Scotch and Stories / Sci-fi/ 1100 words/ Part of "Rhinoplast" series
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys///another "Rhinoplasty" story//looking for readers//
quote:
The warm glow from Old Beastie was felt by all of us in Air Marshall (AM) Takahashi's office. An hour earlier he'd handed me my a** in a fight, now we were best friends.
He told me that I was at a disadvantage. He was probably right. He was some kind of master in Okinawan Karate. Even though I was twenty years younger, sixty pounds heavier, and had a foot of height on him, he'd made short work of me.
I got up to pour myself another scotch, again noticing the ancient blaster and wicked looking pig-sticker of a serrated sword hanging over the cold chest where the scotch was kept. “Sir, if I may ask, what's the story of these weapons?”
The AM looked at me a little blurry-eyed. For a minute I thought he wasn't going to answer, then he spoke very quietly.

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Honu. Up to more stories I see

A couple things stuck out, that I thought I'd share.

quote:
The warm glow from Old Beastie was felt by all of us in Air Marshall (AM) Takahashi's office.

This sentence feels a bit passive.

quote:
He was some kind of master in Okinawan Karate.

I personally think this sentence should read: "He was a master in Okinawan Karate."

I don't feel the "Some kind of" is necessary.

quote:
I got up to pour myself another scotch, again noticing the ancient blaster and wicked looking pig-sticker of a serrated sword hanging over the cold chest where the scotch was kept.

This sentence feels a bit run-on. Perhaps some commas, or a sentence split?

quote:
“Sir, if I may ask, what's the story of these weapons?”

If they're best friends, why is he calling him "Sir?" I can't imagine best friends addressing each other so formally.

quote:
For a minute I thought he wasn't going to answer, then he spoke very quietly.

The bold doesn't work very well for me personally. Perhaps a change in the way it reads. Might be personal preference.

I liked it, despite the comments above. You're still improving, so keep at it.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDF
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RDF           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Honu,

Gan addressed most of my style concerns, so I only have a few suggestions.

"The warm glow from Old Beastie was felt by all of us in Air Marshall (AM) Takahashi's office."

A warm glow filling the office is sufficient for me. I don't get the passive "felt by all of us" bit.

"He told me that I was at a disadvantage. He was probably right. He was some kind of master in Okinawan Karate. Even though I was twenty years younger, sixty pounds heavier, and had a foot of height on him, he'd made short work of me."

Something like "He revealed his advantage. He was a master..."
is more direct.

"I got up to pour myself another scotch, again noticing the ancient blaster and wicked looking pig-sticker of a serrated sword hanging over the cold chest where the scotch was kept."

More direct: "I poured myself..." "...where he kept the scotch."

“Sir, if I may ask, what's the story of these weapons?”
The AM looked at me a little blurry-eyed. For a minute I thought he wasn't going to answer, then he spoke very quietly."

Do you really need "little" or "very?"

Interesting atmosphere. Good luck with it.

Cordially,
Ron

Posts: 31 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
You had me at,

quote:
ancient blaster and wicked looking pig-sticker of a serrated sword

I would make this the opening line. It is a hell of an inciting moment. Just a thought. I liked this

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
This has a lot of personal style to it. Having your own unique style of writing is great as long as your uniqueness works fluidly. And this does. Your narration has a slightly sarcastic/ tongue-in-cheek style and yet still progresses a story well. I could read this style without issue as long as the story idea was a good one.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Takayuki_Shibou
Member # 8456

- posted      Profile for Takayuki_Shibou   Email Takayuki_Shibou         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite fond of this passage Honu. Most of the quips I had were addressed by other people, but I'd definitely keep reading.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.