Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "When Dreams Die" /1000 wd sci fi Taran series

Author Topic: "When Dreams Die" /1000 wd sci fi Taran series
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Part of Taran series/ does it hook? ver2 /
quote:
What happens to dreams when they die? Is there a mausoleum tucked away deep inside one's mind where dreams lie down on stony biers and cross their arms across their breasts to sleep a final sleep? These thoughts haunted me as I rode cross country in the chartered Greyhound bus to boot camp.
At least one dream I had when I was a kid didn't inter itself peacefully to rot away in the dark recesses of my mind. It was cremated the summer I turned thirteen. The year we nuked Phoenix.
Dad pulled me out of school a few days before summer vacation started that year. He took me out to the Chieftain dual seat crop duster and started getting it ready to take up. “Donnie you've shot up like a weed this last year.” He looked mighty proud of me.

[This message has been edited by honu (edited February 24, 2009).]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMPAglut
Member # 8484

- posted      Profile for AMPAglut           Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely hooked for me. A couple of comments:

"Is there a mausoleum tucked away deep inside ones mind where dreams lie down on stony biers and cross their arms across their breasts and sleep a final sleep?" --> "ones" should be "one's" and I think it would flow better as "...and cross their arms across their breasts TO sleep a final sleep?" so as to avoid "and... and... and...".

Finally, the second paragraph is a retelling of a more distant past, but presented in the same tense as the first paragraph. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong about this, but it struck me that it ought to have been: "Dad had pulled me out of school a few days before summer vacation started that year. He'd taken me out to the Chieftain dual-seat...". But like I said, I could be wrong.

Nice job.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
tys AMPAglut...changes made
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
You hooked me with <i>nuked Phoenix</i> But then, the story sort of dies as you backtrack to the dad and an airplane.

I'd like to see you start with the nuking of Phoenix and then run with it from there.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega
Member # 8502

- posted      Profile for Omega   Email Omega         Edit/Delete Post 
hooked me too with the hooked phoenix (mostly because I live there!) It was very good and for some reason I love the line "he looked mighty proud of me". Just makes me feel good about the character I guess
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that, but I sent the crit to the wrong story. Mea culpa...

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited February 25, 2009).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.