Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Is He My Brother? [A picture book about foster care]

Author Topic: Is He My Brother? [A picture book about foster care]
Zack Zyder
Member # 9162

- posted      Profile for Zack Zyder   Email Zack Zyder         Edit/Delete Post 
A baby arrived at our house today. It was a little boy. He cried and slept and ate. He even had a scab on his belly button. How strange, I thought, but Mommy explained, “It’s called a belly button cap. All babies are born with that. You had one too.”
“Is he my brother?” I demanded to know.
“No. He’s not you brother. He will only be here a little while.”
Then, Daddy asked me, “Would you like to help us take care of the baby?”
“NO!” I shouted. After I shouted, I pouted.
Then one day Mommy was changing the baby’s diapers and a disaster happened. His belly button cap fell off.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Has potential. I like to read sentences out loud so I can hear how they sound. Please remember these are only opinions. Easily laughed at and thrown away.

A baby arrived at our house today. (The first sentence sounds awkward. It doesn't hook to me. It sounds like the baby is laundry.)

It was a little boy.
He cried and slept and ate. (Sentence structure)

He even had a scab on his belly button.
How strange (No coma)I thought, but my Mommy (*Mother) explained, “It’s called a belly button cap. All babies are born with that. You had one too.”

I just touched on the first block. It's got potential, but the point of view of the MC is confusing to me, so it doesn't hook.

*I can't tell how old the narrator is. Most childhood stories are told from an older version's perspective looking back. In applying 'mommy' within the sentence makes it sound as if narration is by the young kid, which in itself defies the logic of a detailed story. You'll need to clarify perspective.

Example: He was but a baby when he arrived at our home. Crying, sleeping, eating seemed all he ever did. The thing I remember most was the scab on his belly button. How strange I had thought, but my mother explained, “It’s called a belly button cap. All babies are born with that. You had one too.”

I like where you were going with the dynamic between the child and mother, but The next exclamation 'demanded' breaks that feel.

Interested to see what you do with it.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
Walexander wrote: "How strange (No coma)I thought,"

Without the comma, the sentence (at least to me) means it is strange that the narrator thought as if the narrator isn't used to thinking.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Walexander wrote: "How strange (No coma)I thought,"

Without the comma, the sentence (at least to me) means it is strange that the narrator thought as if the narrator isn't used to thinking.

Hummm, coma is needed to separate to make clear. Yep.

Oh well there goes my Pulitzer.

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited July 19, 2010).]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zack Zyder
Member # 9162

- posted      Profile for Zack Zyder   Email Zack Zyder         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's forgive the missepelling (LOL) of the word comma.

I'll try the Walexander read-aloud method and rewrite the sentences. Sometimes simplicity (and clarity) works best--probably most of the time.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

'Coma' LOL! You have to laugh at life! To much writing not enough sleeping. Oops, I think I forgot the 'Coma." lol.

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited July 20, 2010).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I would continue reading.

The use of the word "today" in the first sentence would indicate to me that this is written in the recent past, not as an adult looking back. This could be challenging due to a young child's limited vocabulary. You might want to get a sound idea of the age of the child telling the story (if you are adamant about the narrator being a child) and remember to maintain that vocabulary throughout. This will also be considerably limiting, but otherwise it will knock the reader out of the story.

You might consider getting rid of the "today" and write it in the more distant past - Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird does an excellent job with this (and makes use of a wider vocabulary).

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.