Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Revision, Is He My Brother? [A picture book about foster care]

Author Topic: Revision, Is He My Brother? [A picture book about foster care]
Zack Zyder
Member # 9162

- posted      Profile for Zack Zyder   Email Zack Zyder         Edit/Delete Post 
A lady I never met before brought a baby boy to our house.
It was a little boy. He cried and slept and ate. He even had a scab on his belly button. “It’s called a belly button cap,” said Mommy. All babies were born with that. Even you.”
“Is he my brother?” I asked.
“No. He’s not your brother. He will only be here a little while.”
Daddy asked me, “Would you like to help us take care of the baby?”
“NO!” I shouted. After I shouted, I pouted.
One day, Mommy was changing the baby’s diapers, and a disaster happened. His belly button cap fell off.
I started shouting, “Belly button! Belly button! Belly

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 20, 2010).]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zack Zyder
Member # 9162

- posted      Profile for Zack Zyder   Email Zack Zyder         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the OLD VERSION:

A baby arrived at our house today. It was a little boy. He cried and slept and ate. He even had a scab on his belly button. How strange, I thought, but Mommy explained, “It’s called a belly button cap. All babies are born with that. You had one too.”
“Is he my brother?” I demanded to know.
“No. He’s not you brother. He will only be here a little while.”
Then, Daddy asked me, “Would you like to help us take care of the baby?”
“NO!” I shouted. After I shouted, I pouted.
Then one day Mommy was changing the baby’s diapers and a disaster happened. His belly button cap fell off.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
The line
quote:
"NO!” I shouted. After I shouted, I pouted.
feels like it's going to break into a Dr Seuss poem. You might want to change one of the rhyming words.
I actually like the older version better, but neither one hooks me. I keep waiting for a hint that something unusual is going to happen, or a reason to care.

[This message has been edited by NoTimeToThink (edited July 25, 2010).]

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zack Zyder
Member # 9162

I'm actually flattered by the Dr. Seuss reference. Lighten up.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Lighten up?
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Zack any critique of your work posted here is meant to help you improve your writing.

It might help to announce your intended audience if it is not adult or YA. If this is intended for children, you should probably state that.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Zack, I'm really liking your concept. And I like your second rewrite better for it's structure.

I'm thinking the POV is the kid's, am I right?

A small thing I would suggest as a change would be the first 2 lines.

-- A lady I never met before brought a baby to our house. She left it here! It was a boy. --

Maybe that might help you with an emotional hook for the book.

PB

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.