Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Pretty Pretty Things, SF, 4500 words

Author Topic: Pretty Pretty Things, SF, 4500 words
Arnen123
Member # 9428

- posted      Profile for Arnen123   Email Arnen123         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Again, not sure if this the right way to do this but
I posted the first 13 in a different post and am
wondering if anybody was willing to read the whole story?

I'll put the first 13 again as it's changed since my last post:

Perhaps a country without folk?
Solitary islands. Adrift, alone?
He would kill them all if he could.
- Anon

Hope is a tickle in the heart. The promise that somebody, somewhere will want you though nobody ever will. Because it must be that every man has a place in the universe. That's what I believe.
Doc shatters my faith with a verbal blow.
“No,” he says, simple word which makes me want to flee his office. “At least, not until you prove yourself.”
I breathe again. So it's not impossible. He just wants to come off hard-edged. Tough.
Doc takes a sip of coffee as dark as he is, a man sporting that eroded look common in weather-beaten migrants to alien climes. "Initiation into the colony is

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I will look at it. I liked your original opening much, MUCH better. I'm not a big fan of poetry at the beginning of a short story - the space is prime realestate and the short lines (of another's work no less) tend to gum-up everything. I firmly believe editors want to see your work (but not your poetry either) in the opening lines.

Send it to me, but PLEASE consider going back to the original opening!!! The last line was my only real objection to that start.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnen123
Member # 9428

Oh, I should have mentioned that it's not a quotation
from another person's work. Totally fictional words
of my own devising. Any tips for making that more clear?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with philo. Your previous entry was much stronger. This doesn't flow as well and has abstract concepts instead of concrete description and dialog.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arnen123
Member # 9428

Hmm,

Just to clarify, is it just the first few lines
that are the problem or the entire 13 lines?

I've actually found a better place for the opening quotation
(or made up quotation) at the end of the story and will probably move it there.

Arnen123
Member # 9428

Also,
After reading the previous feedback for my first 13 lines,
I've reverted the intro back to what it was except I've changed the last few lines.

I won't post it as I'm still not sure what constitutes 13 lines exactly. My last post was edited so my idea of 13 lines is probably not correct.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This topic is intended to help you figure out whether you've posted 13 lines or not.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.