Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I can't share my writing with anyone

Author Topic: I can't share my writing with anyone
RoJoHen
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for RoJoHen   Email RoJoHen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, every time I start a new story, after about 10 pages or so, I like to give it to some one so they can just see how much they like it so far, for basic input. But the problem with this is, every time I let some one read my story, I immediatly lose interest and never finish writing it. Since I know that this is my problem, I should just not let anyone read my stuff, right? But I like the input. I guess I'm just doomed...
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion-- and I may be totally wrong-- is that that is not the REAL reason you stop writing. For me, my biggest problem is that after I get so far into the novel, I've invested so much time and energy thinking about what's coming up, that I lose interest. I get bored, because I've already figured everything out... there's little mystery left. There are a lot of other little things that nag at me:

1) What if it's not really good, and my reader is just being polite?
2) What if it is good, and I've got to prove that I'm not a flash in the pan? I mean, a fluke is one thing-- anybody can "turn a good phrase" once in awhile. But always??
3) What if my inability to keep going is really just my "passive-aggressive" fear nibbling away at me. I mean, if I don't finish it, I can't submit it. If I can't submit it, then I can't be rejected.

Regardless of what reasons you give for not writing, JUST DO IT. Force yourself. 5 pages a day. Or set a word limit. Anything. Heck, I had writer's block yesterday. I forced myself to fill up my blank screen. By the time I had written 400 (agonizing) words, the block was gone, and I kept on going for another 2000.

Good luck!!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, SG. While you may indeed be correct that sharing is not the real reason RoJoHen stops writing, I do think that sharing before you're finished is a death knell for the story.

For me, the joy of writing comes from the excitement of creation, of having something hip, unique, and fresh to share. While I'm developing my idea, writing my story, it's all about the spark of life in the creation. Energy to write, and even more creative ideas than what I started with, flow as I write. Whether consciously or not, there is an element of 'boy, I wonder what they'll think of this?' As soon as I share that with someone in the middle of the creation process, the spark is diminished or even extinguished. There is no more wonder of what they will think.

Another way to look at writing is like the creation of a laser. Light bounces around in the crystal, the energy building in intensity as it hits each facet of the gem, until suddenly it is too much for the crystal to contain and the beam bursts forth. If the crystal is weak and allows some of the energy to leak out, the beam that finally emerges won't be as strong. Heck, if the crystal continues to leak the energy instead of containing it, the energy may never be strong enough to emerge as a beam. So, to, the creative energy of writing and the crystal writer.

The only time I've found this not to be the case is when I collaborate with a musician buddy of mine. I think this is so for two very important reasons. One, he's a part of the creative process, the energy flows between us and builds and intensifies -- he's a second crystal. Two, the element of wonder is still present, I'm still excited by the expectation of what others will feel upon seeing our creation.

A final thought on letting others read a work in progress. There could be merit in it, as long as it is limited to a very select few, and there is an understanding of what sorts of input are desired -- say, in a crit group (people find those useful, especially beginning writers, but I haven't participated in one here yet, so can't speak directly to it). I would just worry that three things might happen. One, as above, the spark disappears. Two, I spend my time saying, "I'll get to that" or, "You'll see why in the next chapter". There is one thing to hearing, "I don't understand because the writing is weak" and another to hear, "I don't understand because you haven't explained it yet". If I'm going to get the latter, then I'll just wait until I've finished the story. Finally, I wouldn't want unsolicited story ideas, just writing critiques. Too many people reading the story and saying, "This could come next" only diminishes the process for me. It's like too many gems diluting the energy. The collaboration with my buddy works because there is only two of us tossing around the ideas, and we expect that type of input from one another.

Well, this became much longer than I expected, but there it is.

Ciao~

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
RoJoHen
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for RoJoHen   Email RoJoHen         Edit/Delete Post 
JP, I think your little creative spark diminishing explanation is the one that most applies. You make some very good points. Thanks
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
JP-- As always you make good points, but (and there's always a but) it's all based on your experience and perspective. Sharing has never diminished my spark or energy on what I'm writing. It's always rejuvenated me, actually. (Of course, I usually only share with my husband and a few other people in some writing groups.)

It's been for me a sounding board that helps me see if I'm on track, where I'm strong, and where I'm weak. It enables me to build on my strong points and improve my weak areas, and both of these might have otherwise been obscured by my own pesky and imperfect internal editor.

It's also fueled me to keep writing because I am so excited and passionate about what I'm working on, and sharing that seems to fuel my interest and enthusiasm for my work.

Sharing also helps the accuracy of what I'm trying to convey. For example, my current novel (ok, ok, my first) involves some military strategy and battle scenes that I'm a little uncomfortable with. My husband, a former Marine, will read a chapter and say, "No way would that ever happen. What about doing this instead...?" His idea may or may not work. But then we can talk and hash out something that does work while conforming to where my story needs to go.

Regardless, it's just my perspective. My previous post relates what my stumbling blocks are and what contributes to my writer's block. Ultimately, each writer has their own source of frustration and has to work through it.

And as to sharing, I don't necessarily think that spouses or friends make the best "sharing buddies." I'm fortunate that my husband is just insensitive enough (ha ha ha) that he'll be brutally honest with me on what I've done and is a great reviewer. (In contrast, my best friend isn't because she "likes" everything and never gives me significant criticism.) Similarly, I've found some helpful (if infrequent) reviewers on another website that caters to aspiring fantasy/sci-fi writers. Whatever works for you is what is right... even if it's wrong for someone else.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

Of course it's all based on my experience, silly, it's what I know!

As I think about it, it still holds true for me: I try not to share in the middle of writing. All of the reasons you gave for sharing, for me, can be accomplished after it's written, when they read the whole story. I'll still find out where my writing is weak, where I might have lost focus. And they'll have the complete picture to judge.

Now, things like your military example would be fine, because I see that as different (somehow). It seems like a form of research to me, different than asking for a critique of my writing.

I guess it all depends on what motivates you to share. If you're just so gosh darn excited that you want someone to read it, I'd wait. If you blocked, perhaps you share to get ideas to get unblocked. If you're looking for specific expertise (e.g. a battle scene), use it as research. If you're wanting to know if your writing is weak or you're losing focus, you're probably asking a question you already know the answer to, so either rework it now or wait until the first re-write -- but why let someone else tell you what you already know. <grin>

As for who to share with, you must be critical in who you choose, and what kind of feedback you want from them. My wife is an editor, and my non-sf/fantasy-reading everywoman -- she'll judge my writing on its face. My musician buddy and my pop are sf/fantasy fans, and will let me know if I'm hitting the mark for that audience. I'm not sure I could (or would want to) share with a 'stranger' without first building a relationship and understanding of what input is expected. Seems like it could make for too many cooks in the kitchen. Perhaps?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons we ask that people not sign up for a Hatrack writing group until they have something completed and ready to be critiqued is to avoid this very problem.

Don't show your work to anyone until you are ready to show it--and that might as well be when it's finished, when you've got it as complete as you can get it on your own.

If you don't want to share unfinished work, but you need feedback on a specific part of it, like the military operations, you can just talk about it to someone who knows.

I believe it could be argued that the second rule of writing is "finish the story." (The first could be "don't give up.")

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

haha, Kathleen, I thought the first rule of writing was "write the story" (i.e. just start writing; write, write, write; write all the time)! So the first rule is to write the story, the second, to finish it. Sounds like sage advice!
ViolaCesarioX
Member # 975

- posted      Profile for ViolaCesarioX   Email ViolaCesarioX         Edit/Delete Post 
Two years ago, I started writing what I told myself would be my masterpiece. As I wrote, I showed it to my brother for input. I kept writing it because he expected more. Of course, half a year later we both lost interest, but what I mean to say is that if I have someone waiting eagerly for the next installation of my story, I'm more likely to keep working on it than otherwise. So I agree that it probably isn't sharing your work that makes you lose interest.

The thing that makes me lose interest in works-in-progress is that when I start something, I'm writing from a certain point of view, ina certain mood, with a certain idea that I need to write. Later, when I come back to it to finish it, I'm in a totally nother frame of mind, and I am often unable to get back to where I was when I started.

I'm with Siligurl on the subject of sharing. My brother and I often critique each other's works-in-progress, and the ones we critique for each other are most likely to get finished at all, not to mention that they are better.

But then, I'm still in school, so I'm used to my writing coming back covered in red ink. Running first drafts and works-in-progress past my Independant Writing teacher has helped me a lot this year. So I guess you guys who are loder will know better about life-after-high-school.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
For whatever it's worth, I wrote my first novel as a senior in high school and read the installments to my best friend at lunch.

It was just for fun, though. I would never have considered offering it for publication.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

Viola wrote:

quote:
The thing that makes me lose interest in works-in-progress is that when I start something, I'm writing from a certain point of view, ina certain mood, with a certain idea that I need to write. Later, when I come back to it to finish it, I'm in a totally nother frame of mind, and I am often unable to get back to where I was when I started.

I have that very same problem, Viola. It frustrated me for the longest time (heh, who'm I kidding, it still frustrates me), to the point where I wouldn't write if I wasn't in the proper frame of mind. One way I've tried to combat that is by having a couple different pieces going at once -- my major piece, and a couple side ideas I want to develop. Each has a very different feel, and I work on the one that fits my mood at the moment. That tends to take away the excuse of "I'm not in the mood".

This little trick of mine aside (it doesn't always work anyway), it's still a very real issue for me (and Viola and others, I'm sure). So how to combat this? If I'm trying to write a particularly gruesome scene, but I'm not in that creatively sadistic mood, how can I infuse the scene with the necessary feeling? Why bother writing it if I know it would be better if I was in a different mood?

[This message has been edited by JP Carney (edited June 06, 2001).]

dragontouch
Member # 688

- posted      Profile for dragontouch   Email dragontouch         Edit/Delete Post 
this is a side note about gruesome scenes: when i was thirteen or fourteen one of my brother's friends read a section of something i was working on (it was on the screen of my computer at the time, and he was casually looking at it), and he was completely revolted. he was like 'how can you write things like that?'- i didn't have to defend myself because my brother did it for me, but it actually kind of pleased me that his friend reacted that way.

sometimes i'll be walking along somewhere and something will strike me- the expression on a person's face, etc- and i'll get the feel of a new story idea. as was mentioned above- the way that one story feels is completely different and unique from every other story. so i'll rush home or pull out paper, or write on my arm this story idea. most of the time it doesn't amount to much, but sometimes it does, and that original feeling can develop and grow into something with more depth to it.

Posts: 350 | Registered: Oct 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyce
Member # 956

- posted      Profile for Joyce   Email Joyce         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to add this thought to the great comments here. It just so happens that if I hadn't been in a writer's critique group and I had invested more than I already had (20,000 words aprox.), frustration in my (so-called) novel would have ruined it for good. Once I had started the 'sharing' process, the feed back got me thinking and I am rewriting from scratch. Just think, to have 'finished' to, say, 80,000 words and realized my major errors were too many to 'edit' out would have been a killer for sure. Now, thanks to the helpfull comments of my group, I am happily on another track. I still have what I want to say, a story to tell in novel form, and I may ot may not be doing it right now, but I'm trying again.

On the other hand, my short stories worked fine to NOT share until done and revised after a time aside to re-read under a clearer perspective.

As far as getting critical input to technical details, I do it at any time, but as a question not by letting my writing be viewed. For example, I have asked friends and co-workers stuff about golfing, car/boat stuff, and an emergency room nurse for help on what happened if the character did such and such. So, I'm saying that it's not a bad idea to get that kind of information as early as possible because it makes the story more enjoyable for both the writer and the reader.

Different writing projects may call for different handling. And, always change how you did something that didn't work for you in the past!

Joyce

Posts: 27 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

Ahhhh yes, and I have to remember that I seem to be in the minority here -- at the present, my focus is on short stories, not novels. That difference in perspective may have a lot to do with my thoughts on sharing in the middle. If I was writing a novel, I might be more inclined to share a chapter at a time, or somesuch.
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care either way. For me at least, short or novel, sharing before completion is a huge no-no. Well, completion of the first draft, anyway. If someone came down with the nasty on something I was still working on, I don't think I could carry on with it. And my work ethic isn't exactly savvy with the whole work thing anyway.
So I see where you're coming from Ro, except its kinda a different problem. For you, perhaps its because you haven't found an exciting, vibrant, fluffy story that grabs your attention enough to go through scrutinisation? Am I speaking in a remotely comprehensible way?
Perhaps listening to the same minute of Jamiroquai over and over does do the wacky on your think-pot...
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally have no problem sharing my writing, even as a work in progress.

For me writing is more than the creative process. It is also pure communication. I have an idea in my mind and I want my words to put a version of that idea in the mind of my reader. I do not expect or want the reader's thoughts to exactly mirror mine, but I do want the reader to have an experience that allows them to think about my thoughts.

Feedback on works in progress helps me to assess the ideas communicated in my writing. I want to know if my messages were garbled or lost, or if the reader got something unintended out of my writing, which is often a good thing.

SiliGurl, if you want to dream up better technical details for your fantasy battle scenes, I suggest you read a few WWI articles at Trenches on the Web.
http://www.worldwar1.com/index.html

The articles are not too long, but very informative.

World War I was a unique period in history that seems almost like a fantasy story. The combatants were as likely to ride horses and brandish swords as they were to employ airplanes, submarines, and nerve gas. Both sides needed to improvise new tactics for their new weapons, and frequently they made mistakes that were dramatic and tragic.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
A_Bear
Member # 1212

- posted      Profile for A_Bear   Email A_Bear         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I always let people read my stories. I am sure to let them know to be 'brutal' in their critique because otherwise (if I am coddled), I will not get any better as a writter. (but not speller) I can not say how many times this has SAVED a story that was otherwise dead in the water... for example..

>reaching soapbox< Ahem...

In one story a family is murdered by a creature that would resemble a panther (sci-fi). I describe the investigation done at the crime scene in third person with a detective as the main character. I let my friend read it and he says "wow, thats really good, but dont you think there would have been claw marks all over the place or something?"

DOHT (A La Homer Simpson)

But hey, thats just me...

Arron

[This message has been edited by A_Bear (edited July 23, 2001).]

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.