Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How does your ms read?

Author Topic: How does your ms read?
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A good exercise is to highlight all the weak verbs in a page/chapter of your work. All the wases, ises, ams, weres, even the seems. Also, you can set Microsoft Word to check your percentage of passive sentences by going to Tools, Options, Grammar and Spelling, and check the show Readability Statistics (or something like that). I'm not sure what a decent percentage is, but you can monitor yourself over time to see if you improve your stats. Or you can copy excerpts of writers you admire and see how they did. (I just thought of that. I gotta try it. )

I do this with my writing but in WP. In WP hit the grammar check under tools then go to options and choose readability. You can compare to a number of documents.

I thought it might be fun to see what people come up with.

I did Hemingway first: (in Word Perfect)

Flesch-Kincaid grade level
Mine 5.2
Hemingway 4

Passive voice
Mine 2%
Hemingway 3%

Sentence Complexity (100=very complex)
Mine 24
Hemingway 14

Vocabulary Complexity (100=very complex)
Mine 8
Hemingway 5

Gettysburg Address:

Mine 5.2
Gettysburg Address 12.9

Passive voice
Mine 2%
Gettysburg Address 9%

Mine 24
Gettysburg Address 75

Mine 8
Gettysburg Address 15

1040EZ Tax instructions:

Mine 5.2
1040EZ Tax instructions 10.5

Passive voice
Mine 2%
1040EZ Tax instructions 24%

Mine 24
1040EZ Tax instructions 27

Mine 8
1040EZ Tax instructions 42

Interesting--so what do you come up with?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

In Word, I got a 4.4 grade level and 1% passive voice.

Shawn

Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the Flesch-Kincaid level actually measures? Its something I've wondered about for a while...

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be good to remember that different kinds of writing (fiction, political addresses, tax instructions) are going to yeild different results.

That said, the best thing this exercise can do is to show you how your sentence structure, grammar, vocabulary compare to other fiction writers.

Someone should try comparing Hemingway to Faulkner!!

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Hemmingway. Hmmmph. I'm not surprised. I can't stand his writing. But he was a good choice as a polar opposite to the Gettysburg Address.

The high passivity rate for tax instructions is accurate, because the doer (the taxpayer) is not important in this case. It's the doing (the instructions) that is the issue. That may sound cynical, but for the purposes of the active/passive discussion it's absolutely on mark. It's a proper use of passive voice.

With Flesch Reading Scores, according to Word, "The higher the score, the easier to understand the document." Word suggests aiming for a score of 60-70. It advises a grade level of 7-8. All it measures, though, are the average number of syllables per word and the average number of words per sentence. It doesn't evaluate content. If you put gobbledy-gook into a document you could score high or low depending on the configuration of the gobbledy-gook.

Out of curiosity, I ran four of Infyrno's postings and he averaged 5% passivity (though he had a 16%, 4%, and two 0%s; as a non-statistician, I'm not sure how to look at that since there are such extremes. Maybe drop high and low and end up with 2%?), 74.2 Flesch Ease Score, and 6.9 grade level. My novel presently runs 2.1 passivity, 71.0 Flesch Ease Score, and 6.7 grade level.

Balthasar is right. Any document with a lot of dialogue, for instance, would score differently than one with a lot of narrative.

These are not infallible tools, though they have their uses.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to try it. Here is what I got
Hemingway
Grade Level
Mine: 5.26
Hemingway: 4

Passive voice
Mine: 4
Hemingway: 3

Sentence Complexity
Mine: 24
Hemingway: 14

Vocabulary complexity
mine: 7
Hemingway: 5

So, does this mean I need to work on the passive voice some more?

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

I think you're safe as long as you stay away from the 24% of the IRS.

(Although we can all use some work on passive voice -- or at least be on our guard to keep it in check.)

glogpro
Member # 1745

- posted      Profile for glogpro           Edit/Delete Post 
People! Don't pay any attention to that mechanized writing evaluation crap. As already observed, it is completely blind to meaning. And if people rely on it, think of the mischief it will do to writing and literacy! (ok --forget about literacy, the existence of which is already a highly dubious supposition). Many years ago, when these superficial indices of readability were first introduced, school textbook publishers adopted them as a marketing tool. Soon, no text could be adopted unless its readablity profile met some arbitrary and meaningless standard. Today the result is nearly contentless textbooks, at least in math (which are the ones I bother to look at). Or take another example -- computerized trading. In the 1980's, analysts started building real time programs that would monitor the market and under preset conditions, automatically issue buy or sell warnings to the brokers. Unfortunately, these programs were all very similar. So, when enough of the big brokerages and mutual fund managers were using them, and when the market hit the right set of conditions, whamo, it was the stock market equivalent of the tacoma narrows bridge collapse, aka the biggest stock market crash of the post war era. So please -- don't use the stupid WP readability analyzer.

But now that I come to think about it, this would be a great plot for a story. Get enough of these moronic expert system type software controls in use at the same time, spread through all aspects of a society, and you could get an impressive general collapse.
What fun!

Posts: 550 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Hmm--well you know it was for "fun" just to see what it came up with.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

For percentage of passive verb constructions it has some use. The readability stuff misses the mark.
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Glogpro, are you suggesting that if enough people look at the WP Readability Analyzer there will be a writing crash? Do you believe that by merely looking at a statistical indicator, writers will lose their ability to write en masse?

That's either a sign of mental illness or brilliant creativity! Out of respect, I'll assert that it's the latter.

Passive Sentences: 0%
Flesch Reading Ease: 51.3
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 9.1

Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.