Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do non-likeable protagonists work? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do non-likeable protagonists work?
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a curious thought I had the other day. What about stories of redemption, where you start with a plain nasty guy and something happens throughout the story to make him change. Does there have to be something likeable about the character to make a reader care, despite his flaws? Or can he be such an all-out jerk that it raises enough curiousity for the reader to keep reading?
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
This is personal opinion, and tastes vary, but I read a book once, couldn't tell you the name or the author, but the protagonist was a spoiled, selfish punk, and the only reason I read was to see him get thumped. He didn't have a single solitary good trait that I could see. At the end, he barely learns a lesson, so I never read the sequel.
But I imagine it could be done, and done well, under the right circumstances.
Depends on the writer, the protagonist, and just what is unlikeable about the prot. and what his good traits are. If he's egocentric, but generous with his wealth, I might not be offended, but other's might. If he's a pedophile, and also generous with his wealth, I would still want to take an axe to him, and most people would still want to shoot him, but pedophiles might not see what the fuss was about.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 08, 2005).]

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to think of examples of bad guy redeems himself. "A Christmas Carol" comes to mind. Scrooge has no redeeming traits at the begining. This is film, but "As Good As it Gets" is, I think, an example of what you're talking about. Done right, this is about as moving and emotionally wrenching as you can get. But--both of those characters had people around them that were likeable, and had something out of the ordinary in each plot which might help hold the reader. One is visited by three ghosts, the other is a famous novelist with obsessive-compulsive disorder. This makes me think that the hook which keeps the reader is probably something other than, "He's mean."
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Your protagonist should probably be better in some way at the end of a story than at the beginning. So that means that it is probably necessary that you not start with a perfect protagonist.

At another level, I think that stories of redemption must have a protagonist that is more than just "likeable". After all, such a story doesn't work at all unless the readers want the protagonist to be redeemed, eh? So I don't think such a story works well if the protagonist is just a plain nasty guy.

Scrooge has one very important redeeming trait at the beginning of A Christmas Carol. He's deeply unhappy, so much so that any person with the compassion necessary to desire redemption for anyone desires it for Scrooge. The same thing is true of the guy in As Good as it Gets.

In a sense, it is an important thing for any protagonist to be tormented in some way. In the more straightforward drama, the Hero is tormented by something outside himself and must overcome this external enemy. In the redemption story, the protagonist has to overcome those elements of self that cause torment. And in the tragedy, of course, the hero does not overcome.

Torment might not be the best word, since not all dramatic conflicts rise to the level of torment, really. Most really interesting ones do, one way and another, but it might not be best to use that particular word.

Still, there must be something about the protagonist that makes the audience desire that redemption rather than damnation be the outcome. If you try to redeem a character that the whole audience would like to see damned, then your story will not be well recieved.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Radix by Attanasio starts with a most unlikeable protagonist. He changes drastically during the book, but at the start you just want to see him get his just desserts. Which he does of course.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jules
Member # 1658

- posted      Profile for Jules   Email Jules         Edit/Delete Post 
One way of making it work is to have two major characters, one likeable and one unlikeable, and show the transformation from the POV of the likeable character as the unlikeable one takes on worthy goals, etc. A book that took this appoach and made it work, IMO, is Hunting Party by Elizabeth Moon.

Obviously there are others, but I would hesitate to use an unlikeable POV character.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBShearer
Member # 9434

- posted      Profile for JBShearer   Email JBShearer         Edit/Delete Post 
A bad guy. A straight bad guy protagonist? Clockwork Orange. Evil. Wicked. And in the American version he didn't even get redeemed, grow, or change a wink.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2011  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Sir Harry Flashman!

http://www.harryflashman.org/flashypapers.htm

"These stories will be completely truthful; I am breaking the habit of eighty years. Why shouldn't I?

When a man is as old as I am, and knows himself for what he is, he doesn't care much. I'm not ashamed, you see; never was -. So I can look at the picture above my desk, of the young officer; tall and handsome as I was in those days, and say that it is the portrait of a scoundrel, a liar, a cheat. Since many of the stories are discreditable to me, you can rest assured they are true....."
George Macdonald Fraser

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited January 08, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen Donaldson did this with the Thomas Covenant novels. The main character is a self indulgent piece of crap who becomes a leper and is transported to another world where a young girl shows him kindness and helps him (he is not a leper in the other world) to thank her he rapes her on I believe it was page 63. I have never read past that point.

I can read about a flawed protagonist that maybe is a little on the bad side, but there needs to be something redeemable that the reader can connect with.

For the life of me I have no idea why the Donaldson books sold so well, because Thomas Covenant is a completely reprehensible character. I know he redeems himself in the later books, but he was so detestable that I just wanted him to die.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
and i see those books completely differently. sure, i didn't like the guy, i never did, but i still liked the story.

and he never "really" redeems himself. he still beats himself up about his reprehensible behaviors all the way up to the end if i remember correctly.

of course. it wasn't my favorite story i ever read, but i did keep reading :/

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is film, but "As Good As it Gets" is, I think, an example of what you're talking about.

Ah, but he still had redeeming qualities from the beggining. Remember how he writes women so well?

"I think of a man, and I take away reason, and accountability."

To me, that's at least one good characteristic

But seriously, he is a good writer. Not that that adds to his actual character.

Anyway, I've used the Hitler example in another thread. If you read a biography of Hitler, you can stay interested the whole time, not because you like Hitler, but because his life is so fascinating.

So, yes. You can write the most deplorable character on Earth and get away with it, IF his story is a good one.

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the episode of the Twilight Zone last week. It was about neo-nazi teen who is tutored by Hitler's 'ghost'.

And while the teen never redeems himself, the story made the watcher want the teen to turn around. For deep down inside the teen was nothing for than a troubled little boy.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read all the posts, so if I'm being redundant my apologies.

I'm not all that keen on unlikeable protagonists. I've read a couple of books with such guys and felt they were a waste of time.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Vehige
Member # 2284

- posted      Profile for Jeff Vehige           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, if you're writing a story about redemption, then, I would think, he has to have qualities that are redeemable. Any notion of redemption means that what is going to be redeemed is, on some level, worth redeeming. Regardless of how base your character is, the reader will identify most strongly with the character's redeemable traits.

In my opinion, the best novel with this kind of character is Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. It's very hard to like Raskolnikov; he's a base man, bordering on madness, with a Nietzschean ethic of the Superman (even though Nietzche wrote after Dostoevsky), and yet Dostoevsky is able to make you feel empathy for the man, and even, at times, real tenderness. So much so that you want to see Raskolnikov redeemed. That's the other part of it--you have to set it up in such a way that the reader wants the protagonist to be saved.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Vehige (edited January 08, 2005).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

If you want a contemporary example.

Jaime Lannister is a character (George RR MArtins "A Game of Thrones") that you despise in the first book.

In the second book you begin to care about him and even like him, because you begin to understand him and his motivations.

So you could have a character that appears to be despicable, maybe by viewing his action from another POV, but then shift to his POV and show the reader the reasons for his acts and if it's reasonably they may grow to like him.

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
The Elric novels come to mind. He is what you might term and anti-hero. I don't love the story, but the character intrigues me.

I personally like the idea. I like a well done bad-good guy. Perhaps he has done some things in the past that he isn't proud of, but he redeems himself or someone else in the process. I have a character that I am working on right now that fits this bill perfectly.

I think you have to be careful, it is a fine line between milking the reader along and turning them away. He can't be too bad for too long. I think you need to portray him as bad in the very first part of the story, then start him down that path of redemption. If you wait too long, it may not be believeable for a main character to behave that way, especially your protagonist.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of a bad-good guy. Not an even guy who is supposed to be the protagonist, but a darker good guy. Xena comes to mind... who wants to read about a perfect do-gooder?

I've not worked on the story concept yet, but I have a great bad-good guy. She's a good guy who got some bad-mojo in her (aka a demon), so now when she even THINKS violent thoughts her demon half starts showing...

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

But wouldn't that tend to make her avoid thinking bad things?
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it would... except that she's called out of "retirement" at great personal peril, hence uber cool personal conflict. She has to deal with her desperate need to control her demon half, while reaping the consequences of not controling it in the past.

Anything to mess up her life, right?

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

If you don't mind straying to comic books these are some good examples of an anti-hero.

Punisher
The Authority
Wanted (really good example)
Bloodhound

Any of those has a pretty nasty protagonist that you still root for, since they are attacking even nastier folk.

So you can definately use a somewhat incorrigible protag if the antag is nasty enough.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

TruHero, you missused the term anti-hero. An anti-hero is still a good guy, he's just the opposite of a classic hero. He's not the superstrong, supersmart, super proud hero of greek myths that carried on into moddern stories. He's weak, flawed and has poor self-esteem. He doesn't always do the right thing, and his biggest enemy is himself. But somehow he beats the bad guy in the end.
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not genre fiction, but the chief protagonist in A Confederacy of Dunces is a complete ass. However, he is so unredeemably ass-y (a new word, yay!) that it soon becomes hilarious, watching him stumble through life. For me, that worked very well, but I suspect that's the exception, rather than the rule.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
A better word choice might be "asinine."
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I understand the term just fine.
quote:
Perhaps he has done some things in the past that he isn't proud of, but he redeems himself or someone else in the process.

The last graph of my reply was just advice. Good advice or not, it's just what I was thinking about the original question.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I may or may not have mentioned this already, but comeuppance stories, where the "protagonist" of the story ends up getting some kind of horrible and appropriate punishment in the end, work just fine with a throughly nasty central character. Character's not slated for redemption don't have to be likeable at all. The also don't have to start the story unhappy, since they will be tormented in the end.

Of course, there is still the problem of signalling that the wicked protagonist is slated for damnation rather than redemption.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
To add to HuntGod's comic list, Spawn(even though I have to rely on the movie and stuff I've learned about the comic).

An A&E movie based on an Orson Wells novel that might fit the bill is The Magnificent Ambersons. In the movie, I really hated the main character, but at the end I guess I felt a little pity. I think I spent too much time despising him, though, to really care that he was finally learning something.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
SteeleGregory
Member # 2049

- posted      Profile for SteeleGregory   Email SteeleGregory         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An anti-hero is still a good guy, he's just the opposite of a classic hero. He's not the superstrong, supersmart, super proud hero of greek myths that carried on into moddern stories. He's weak, flawed and has poor self-esteem. He doesn't always do the right thing, and his biggest enemy is himself.

I've never seen a better description of Elric. Elric was a product of his evil environment, but tried to be a good person in that context. He wasn't entirely sucessful, but I wouldn't think of him as a villain. Tru is right on the money with this one.

I read a book called "Ravenloft: Knight of the Black Rose" by James Lowder on the recommendation of a friend. The protagonist in it was totally unlikeable. He was an insanely powerful undead warrior who was being punished for his evil deeds in a sort of hell. Only he didn't ever seem to notice that he was being punished and was powerful enough to overcome all the punishments the world threw at him. I guess someone could be intrigued by how much of a badass he was, but it didn't work for me at all.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

I wouldn't call Elric's environment evil, amoral yes, but not evil.

Corwin from the Chronicles of Amber novels is also a character that is likeable but not really a hero, especially in the later books.

J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
This is easy.

It is most certainly possible to have a thoroughly nasty protaganist that everyone roots for. It is even possible to have a thoroughly nasty protaganist that has his own way in the end, is in no way redeemed, and is nontheless wholeheartedly cheered by the audience.

See, for example, the Man with No Name trilogy:

Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a good example, J.

In "A Fistful of Dollars," Clint Eastwood's character reunites Marisol with her family, and gives them money.

I don't remember much about "For a Few Dollars More," but Clint Eastwood's character intervenes in the final confrontation between Lee Van Cleef's character and El Indio in order to make it a fair gunfight. (Lee Van Cleef's character had no gun.)

I believe both those movies had other incidents which showed some non-nasty characteristics.

In "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," you're almost right. But near the end, Clint Eastwood's character shows compassion to a wounded soldier.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. There is an important distinction between "thoroughly nasty" and "utterly evil."

In each of those movies, Clint does exactly one thing that doesn't spring from totally selfish motives. The one thing in each movie is usually comparatively small, and vastly outweighed by all the other rotten things he does.

More importantly, his token act of kindness in each movie (reuniting Marisol, making the gunfight fair, giving the wounded soldier a puff of his cigar--then taking it back after the soldier dies) is not a sign or redemption, or of the desire of redemption, or even of redeemable qualities. It's just something Clint did because he felt like it. Afterwards, he continues on just as selfish, violent, and ruthless as before.

The fact that these small acts of decency are noteworthy shows by contrast what a bastard he is generally. It's impossible to find any moral difference between Clint and his antagonists in the movies (Ramon, Van Cleef, Angel Eyes). He's just as nasty--or nastier--than they are.

I maintain that the single acts of minimal decency displayed by Clint do not disqualify him from the "thouroughly nasty" category. If anything, they emphasize just how nasty he is--and just how ready the audience is to applaud him despite his thoroughly nasty nature.

"I know he just left a man to die in the desert so that he wouldn't have to split his money, but awwwww--he gave that soldier a puff of his cigar. He's my hero."

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

quote:
In each of those movies, Clint does exactly one thing that doesn't spring from totally selfish motives. The one thing in each movie is usually comparatively small, and vastly outweighed by all the other rotten things he does.

Everything springs from selfish motives. "Good" people do good things because they derive pleasure from doing good. "Bad" people do bad things for the same reason.

Even self destructive behavior stems from selfish motivations wherein the individual is attempting to punish themselves for some perceived inadequacy, and by punishing themselves they receive satisfaction or pleasure.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess we just have different standards of thoroughness.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<"Good" people do good things because they derive pleasure from doing good.>

I don't think that's true. True for some. Not for all. Some live a life of self-sacrifice. Not becease they enjoy it. Not becease it makes them look good. But becease they know it's the right thing to do.

Not that I'm one of them, but it's an ideal to look up to.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited January 11, 2005).]

HuntGod
Member # 2259

Umm, so they live this life of self sacrifice because they DON'T derive pleasure or personal satisfaction from it?

I have to disagree with you on that. Doing the right thing fulfills the individual that performs it.

Even something simple like taking out the garbage can be rooted in your deriving satisfaction or pleasure from having done something that needed doing.

Do I specifically enjoy taking out the garbage? No, but I do receive pleasure in my wife NOT harping at me to take out the garbage, or smelling ripening food stuffs in my kitchen.

Maybe give me an example of a "right thing" that is not rooted in the individual performing the act because they derive pleasure/satisfaction from the duty or job.

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited January 11, 2005).]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I saw this on Friends.
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

<Maybe give me an example of a "right thing" that is not rooted in the individual performing the act because they derive pleasure/satisfaction from the duty or job.>

Well, there's the story I heard, it pure invention, and I might not relate it to the best degree. Don't have much time, my wife just said dinner's about ready.

But the story is about the railroad guy. He has to switch the train to a different track to avoid a disaster. Then he notices his child is on the other track. He is too far away to get him. He could always switch the track back. So he does what he believe is right, saves the train, but in the process it kills his child.

The man did the right thing in this story, but did not derive satisfaction from it.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

That's close though it still falls in the category or which would cause him less grief, dead child or dead passengers.

I would have saved my child and consigned the passengers to a fiery death.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

HuntGod,

Just because someone may derive some pleasure or satisfaction out of doing something doesn't mean that their motive for doing so is to gain pleasure or satisfaction.

A soldier who jumps on a grenade may gain some momentary satisfaction (before he dies) in knowing that he may have saved the lives of some of his buddies, but his goal is to save their lives, not to gain satisfaction.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Is avoiding something unpleasant the same as seeking pleasure?
HuntGod
Member # 2259

Depends on your definition of pleasure.

Pleasure is defined as feeling pleased or gratified.

I'd argue that seeking to avoid pain so as to maintain a gratified or pleased state of mind might be construed as seeking pleasure.

In the example of the soldier, he is seeking gratification by saving his buddies, the gratification he receives for saving his fellow soldiers is greater than the gratification he would receive by living and his buddies dying.

So "selfless" acts such as these are seeking to diminish the loss of pleasure/satisfaction/gratification.

I'm not sure I would directly equate minimizing pain/displeasure with seeking pleasure/satisfaction, but they have the same root.

[This message has been edited by HuntGod (edited January 11, 2005).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are experiencing a little resistance to your idea, HuntGod, because it seems awfully cynical to some of us.

Therefore, I would like to request that this discussion stop because it is one of those kinds of discussions that tend to go nowhere.

I confess that I'm doing it for a selfish reason: I have to read all the posts on this forum, and I get bored with discussions where people with opposing ideas try to convince each other of something they are already convinced against. (Yeah, I know, I'm being cynical, too, but there seem to have been a few too many of such discussions around here lately.)

Let's save our writing energies for topics we want to learn more on, not topics that people have already decided on.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

No problem whatsoever...

It is indeed a very cynical opinion...

But of course cynics are often pleasantly surprised, whereas optimists are too often dissapointed :-)

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

They say a pessimist sees a glass half empty, while an optimists sees the glass half full.

I say hogwash, a pessimist will admit the glass is half full, they just think the drink is poisoned.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, HuntGod, I keep telling my husband that same thing. And the clod is still an optimist!

I don't get it.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is cynical. just because we do things for our own reasons does not detract from the act. Just my two penneth worth...
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It isn't really all that cynical, if you realize that there are different kinds of needs that we respond to at different levels. For instance, there are simple animalistic needs like assimilating needed substances that our senses tell us have high survival value, or eliminating waste products. Then there are needs that are specific to humans, like belonging to a community and being loved and so forth. And there are needs that are sentientropic like gaining greater knowledge and understanding and learning to do things like give love to others.

Just because all these things are "needs" of various elements of the self doesn't mean that they can all be accurately described as "selfish needs". And you can't compare the gratification of needs that are essentially different from each other on the same scale. "Pleasure" can be stretched to cover the greater sense of self-awareness that is a result in many "altruistic" activities, but you shouldn't simultaneously use it to mean the sensation that one derives from fufilling an animal impulse, because that implies they are the same thing when they are clearly not the same thing.

In the same way, "selfish" could mean "arising out of the autonomous self", but that isn't the way we mean it. We use it specifically to describe aggrandizement of that part of the self that can be treated independently of what happens to any other person. To call an altruistic desire "selfish" because it happens to be an element of the self is to erase the meaning of the term "selfish" as distinct from "voluntary".

On the other hand, it is philosophically important that people realize that voluntary action, action that arises out of the deepest yearnings of the self, is an important principle in morality. There is no such thing as a moral action that is involuntary, after all. And we cannot say that an action is voluntary unless it is something that the individual self somehow chooses freely, in the end.

All that said, I agree with KDW that this all has very little to do with the topic of this thread. It also probably has almost nothing to do with writing in general, since none of my characters really has free will, and I suspect that none of the characters created by anyone else on this board are literally "volunteers" either.

On the other hand, you never know. I wrote quite a paper once on the question of free will in Oedipus Rex which hinged on the fact that characters in a story never have free will anyway.

ArCHeR
Member # 2067

You know, I like to think of myself as an optimist, but I'm really not. I generally see things how they are.

The glass is half full if it was once empty and then filled up halfway.

The glass is half empty if it was once full and then emptied halfway.

Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that no one else has mentioned this before me, so I could but what about Napoleon Dynamite? Maybe I was the only one having a hard time really liking who he was because he was tempermental, rude, and little self-centered. Sometimes it seemed his friends revolved around him for no other reason than he was the main character. So when I watched the movie the first time, I sat and tried to figure out why on some level I wanted him to succeed. The only thing I've been able to come up with so far is that people respond to the nice things he does for his friends. And I also think that some of the things that happen to him (such as the popular girl only going out with him because her mother told her to only to be ditched at the dance) because we can relate to those awkward days of high school where we probably weren't among the popular ones and were just trying to get through the day.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I was rooting for Napoleon Dynamite, I was just really glad he kept saying incredibly funny things.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.