Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge #3 is Open - April 15, 2005 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Flash Challenge #3 is Open - April 15, 2005
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Flash Challenge #3 is Open - April 15, 2005

Please go here for more information.

The winner of last week's flash challenge gets to choose the topic/trigger for this weekend's flash.

So, blame Robyn_Hood, not me.

---

How It Works:

In sum:

On Friday we open up the flash challenge. It remains open until Monday morning. This means that you can take up the challenge anytime you like from Friday until Monday.

Taking up the challenge includes:

1. sending an email message to a set email address
    2. receiving the flash challenge trigger message in return, and [u]reading it right away[/u]
    3. immediately writing a flash story (less than 1000 words) inspired by the flash topic
    4. emailing your story back to the same set email address [u]within the allowed duration period[/u], usually 1.0 to 1.5 hours.

On Monday we post the stories [to a password-protected web page] without revealing who wrote them, and open up the forum to comments/critiques and voting. This continues through Tuesday.

On Wednesday we close the voting and announce a winner(s) and open up the Reveal Thyself topic. Commenting and critiquing may continue.

On Thursday we delete everything.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 15, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
And if the reply doesn't show up 40 min later?
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
How exactly do you monitor if the email is read right away, and what timeframe is there for writing the story?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the 1000 word limit firm? I can bang out more than 1k in an hour and a half.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't get the reply within just a few minutes, please email me. LDS, it appears there is a problem, let me look into it.

Beth, the 1,000 word limit is guidance, not an absolute.

Rahl22, we can't monitor the reading, all we can do is get the timestamp from when the email was sent to you, and the timestamp from when the story was received by you and compare them. It is up to you to read immediately. That is why we don't say that you aren't in the vote if you are 1 minute late. or 10.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 15, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

LDS

I just tested it and received my auto-reply within a minute. It seems to be working now. However, you won't be able to receive the trigger if you try again, so if you are still interested in flashing, please let me know and I'll email it to you.

OR, you can do the same thing again, but this time from a different email address.

mikemunsil

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having trouble with the autoreply as well. Just emailed you about it a few minutes ago.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Keeley

I received your message, please check your spam filter settings if you use spam control, as I cannot figure out what could possibly be wrong from my end. I tested it twice and it worked fine.

please email me the results,

thanks

mike

Keeley
Member # 2088

I don't have a spam filter.

Correction: I do, but it's been turned off for a couple of weeks now, so I forget I even have one. I'll check and make sure it isn't on.

Checked it... it's off.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited April 15, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited April 15, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

OK, we don't understand what is going on, but think we have a workaround. I should have a similar system back up and running by 3pm US Central Time. I will post a new email address to send to on Liberty Hall. Go to http://www.munsil.net and click on Forums .
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Back up and running, as far as I can tell, but with a new email address to send for the flash trigger. Please go to http://www.munsil.net and click on the Forums link to go to Liberty Hall to get the new address.

1:50pm CST April 15, 2005

mikemunsil

Keeley
Member # 2088

This one was really hard for me. The picture was easy because there were so many different ways to interpret it, but this... I'm not sure I did it right.

Got it done in exactly one hour, too. I don't think I made the deadline.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
There really isn't a right or a wrong way to do this. Just write what comes to mind. The trigger is just supposed to get you going, you get to choose the direction.

I was a little evil with this, though! Oh well.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for it.

Good Luck.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Curse you, RH! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

My only consolation is the eternal nature of karma.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Due to the problems with getting the auto-reply working, I upped the alloted time to 1.5 hours to allow for email delays.

Even so, that was an evil one, Robyn_Hood. Just wait until next week when you get to flash again!

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried twice to send a response and keep getting delivery failed. I'm going to try again but I'm not sure I'm going to be within the time limit anymore...
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I give up. I tried. It just won't go through.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Just checked it, Christine. I received it 4 times, all within the time limit. Chill, please. With time we will have something better.
Christine
Member # 1646

LOL...all right...chilled.

Actually, no, it's really hot in here. I think I should open all the windows. The heat is obviously addling my brain.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

We have 5 so far! Good going! When I saw what Robyn_Hood did to you guys I was sure you would rebel en masse.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

I think I submitted.

I think.

Christine
Member # 1646

I just about did...if truth be told I used bits of an old idea that I never properly developed. I hope that's not cheating.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

You did.

jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the rules say 1 hour but the trigger said 1.5 hours. Which is it?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

quote:
Due to the problems with getting the auto-reply working, I upped the alloted time to 1.5 hours to allow for email delays.

Even so, that was an evil one, Robyn_Hood. Just wait until next week when you get to flash again!

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Trigger wins all ties.
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
How many entries now, Mike?

This week's trigger was a bit evil, but I managed to squeeze in the bonus.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rahl. I scanned the thread but missed it. I got it in with minutes to spare.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

6 entries so far

I fixed a typo that may have been causing the error messages that were received. Hopefully, that is all.

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding this was evil. I spent the first hour staring at a blank page! I was almost ready to give up, but I managed to hammer it out at the very end of my time.

*contemplates sending fat, grumpy, old cat to Robyn_Hood as revenge*

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

It is so cool to see this taking off. i hope to be able to play tomorrow, but I have some serious napping planned, and I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in. but I think it is a fine fine thing you guys have gotten started, and I am looking forward to seeing some of the revised version in the frags forum, and then making their way out into the world.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't that bad, although my story might be.

Besides, I'm having to much fun with it. For those of you who haven't tried it, you should give it a shot. I think it is amazing how quickly an hour to hour and a half (depending on the limit) of writing can fly by.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

9 We have 9 now. I may have to give this one a shot also, although I won't be eligible to win any votes (thank God, otherwise I'd win a Stinkeroo).
Keeley
Member # 2088

My story was lousy. I didn't notice the extended deadline, so I raced to get it done in an hour whilst, and at the same time, trying to deal with a small crisis here at home. So, really my story was written in 40 min. at most.

The ending really sucks and I didn't get the bonus.

In spite of all that, it was a fun challenge. I doubt I'll do anything to the story, but it helped kick my brain into gear.

limo
Member # 2470

- posted      Profile for limo           Edit/Delete Post 
No picture came through with mine. Should there be? Oh well I will write it anyway. Interesting trigger...
Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
My story is terrible!! I can't believe I even submitted it.

This was the most impossible trigger I could ever imagine. I think that gives new meaning to the "challenge" part of the Flash Challenge. Sheesh.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Blame Robyn_Hood!

We have 11.

There was no picture, other than the picture of stark failure staring you in the face at minute 40. Perhaps we should rename these the 'In Sheer Desperation - Writer's Rallies' instead?

limo
Member # 2470

- posted      Profile for limo           Edit/Delete Post 
Urk, I know what you mean my story went all the way to terrible and then climbed crap mountain. URGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
I think I was trying to be too clever...sigh...if you can't you shouldn't try.
Thanks for letting me know about the picture someone said there was one and I spent a good 5 minutes searching. BAH!
Thanks mike for setting it all up and etc
But they are a fun kind of torture huh?
li
p.s. I am not as bad a writer as you may think from reading this story (newbie style arrogance I know but I can't be ...can I ?)

[This message has been edited by limo (edited April 16, 2005).]

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
That was mean, Robyn!! LOL I did it, though. At least, I think I did. I'm not sure if I made it in time. If I did, it was with only minutes to spare. Yay, my first flash challenge! Stressful, but fun. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

You made it in time.
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I have to bow out this time. I have time to do the challenge, but beginning Monday morning I'll be in Vegas next week. Internet access is $10 a day at the hotel, plus I'll be super busy. So I won't be able to get online again until Saturday. I don't think I'd be able to handle writing one and then not get to read everyone else's, or vote, or see the results. That would just be cruel. So I'm taking a hiatus this week, but I definitely plan on jumping back in next week.

Good luck to all of you guys!!

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
autumn, there should be plenty of internet cafes that, I suspect, would be cheaper than $10 a day. You can pay by the hour, or prepay for some amount of hours, etc. Many of them let you hook up your laptop, if you have one.

Just something to think about...

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

looks like we have 14

autumnmuse, that is a very creative excuse! my heart bleeds for you... not!

xarius
Member # 2168

- posted      Profile for xarius   Email xarius         Edit/Delete Post 
My first attempt at flash fic had to be this one. Yuck.

Thanks for setting this up mike. I have to admit that reading last week's flashes made me want to try it. I didn't realize how nerve-wracking the time limit can be.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

well, that was fun! Good topic. I probably should have used the full time to flesh it out and edit it and all that but I just felt done after a little under an hour.

Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
Gave it a shot -- hope I did it right.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going along fine until I got a phone call from Germany. Sheesh. On the one hand I wanted to hang up, but on the other I didn't feel right saying, "I'm sorry I can't talk, I'm flashing right now." And it was the longest phone call in the world.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
The time limit always makes me a little nervous but this time it was downright terror. That could have something to do with staring at the screen for 60 minutes wondering what the heck I was going to do! Then typing like a madwoman for 20 minutes.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I hope you try another, Xarius. This one did have an evil trigger. You can get back at MaryRobinette, though, in the next MaryRobinette Fantasy Writer's Brawl, when we send her to Hades. There'll be plenty of people with itchy trigger fingers after this flash!

OR, you can win this flash and set the topic/trigger yourself next week!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.