Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge #3 is Open - April 15, 2005 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Flash Challenge #3 is Open - April 15, 2005
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice to MaryRobinette, she did what was asked of her. Gave us something challenging.

Even if my creation wasn't great, in my opinion, I still had fun writing it.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right. Sorry, mistress of puppets! Will's aggression is rubbing off on me.

We have 15! I've been keeping up pretty well with transferring them to html, so I should be able to open up for comments/voting pretty quickly on Monday morning.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 17, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should be nice to Mary anyway, since she didn't choose this week's trigger, and that honor belongs to Robyn.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
we are ALWAYS nice to Mary.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! Beat me, Mary! Drub me. Thrash me with your thorny stave. Lay me low. Drum my head into the ground beneath thy heels, venegeful steed!

Darnit, Will! Go home!

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what I had done. I mean, Robyn Hood and I have similar sounds in our names but I didn't even participate in the first two Flash Challenges.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited April 17, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Beat me with your hands, woman! That any day over the lash of thy words!
HSO
Member # 2056

Anyone else worried about Mike's sanity?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

We have 16!

My wife lost all concerns regarding my sanity years ago.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Sanity is overrated.

I just worry that if too many people verbaly abuse whoever has provided the detail for the challenge, those who follow might not provide anything challenging in fear of that abuse. So when there is a flash challenge...and it is a challenge, let's appreciate the person who came up with it.

It is supposed to be a challenge...

HSO
Member # 2056

Update on the flash challenge, please pay careful attention:

I've posted the first few lines of each story into it's own topic. There is a link to the page where you'll find all of the stories. You will need a login and password -- which Mike will provide shortly. Until he does that, you will not be able to read the full stories. Please do not post in the topics asking for the login and password. I will delete them in a most vicious manner. The information will be posted shortly.

There is also a topic that I made that holds ALL of the intros -- which I suspect may eventually be turned into a VOTE! topic.

Please note that I have no idea who wrote which story. Your anonymity is perfectly safe. Also, regarding the "blurbs", please note that I chose roughly three sentences to post -- a few have four and a few have two. I tried to be considerate, but mainly I just arbitrarily chose a cutoff based what "looked" right.

Lastly, at the time of this writing, I'm aware of only 16 stories posted. If more came in overnight, I will update the boards once I learn of those new stories. So, if you don't see your story blurb up there yet, it will be soon. Have patience, please.

-HSO

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 18, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

All the stories are up and ready for reading/commenting/critiquing and voting.

Go to Current Flash Challenge to start.

Good luck to you all and thank you for flashing!

We had 17 entries!!!! The flashers wrote a total of aproximately 13,900 words. That comes to an average of just over 800 words each.

Whew! What a job to get it all done! But now I get to sit down and read 17 new stories.

Thanks you HSO, for your help.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 18, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

17! this is so great.

How long do we have to read and vote?

I like that we get to vote in a few different categories. That's fun.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Voting closes Wednesday morning, however early I happen to get up and get to it. That means that you will have about 2 days to read/comment and vote.

For 5-10 flashes that isn't too bad. 17 flashes might be tough. We'll have to think about that if we continue to get this kind of response. I, personally, think the response will settle down after a bit, but if it doesn't we must find a way to accomodate everyone, without slighting anyone, and not making the reading/commenting/voting thing too big a hurdle. You see, the first thing that will suffer will be the commenting/critiquing, and yet that provides the most value to the flashers.

So, any ideas, anyone? I'm open to suggestion and now is the time to suggest, while LDS is working on the autmated system, and HSO and I are working on the administrative details. Once we have an automated system in place I will find it hard to ask LDS for more free work.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! I go home for the weekend and come back to a lynch mob. Hmmmm, maybe I should run home...

I know that was a little evil of me and I apologize if it was exceedingly so. But it is supposed to be a challenge and now I get to read 17...17!...stories. That is an amazing turnout.

Oh well, this week I'm back in the fray.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Mike,

New HTML page sent.

Ideas: Yes. Let voting and crits carry on until Thursday morning or afternoon, server space permitting, of course. Then, Thursday night, everything is deleted except for the Vote tallies -- a new Reveal Thyself topic is then created. Reveal stays up until Saturday morning, then it's wiped.

We could also ask author to stipulate if they want their story revealed when they submit, which would by my preference. Then I can bang out a fast topic on Thursday.

Just thoughts, really.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Robyn_Hood

I was channeling Will Shakespeare this week and it turns out he was really an agressive SOB. So, I apologize on his behalf.

Anyway, I would take the complaining as evidence of a good trigger. You'll note, after all, that it didn;t scare too many people off! We had 17!

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

HSO made the html page that carries the stories more secure, and the new page is now posted. Thanks!
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an argument to be made for not posting critiques until after the voting is done. Clever hatrackers could figure out which was whose based on who hasn't critted what.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

They'd have to be a lot cleverer than me! Unless you can guess just off style, there's no way with 17 people you're going to figure out who is who. And on top of that, there are people who vote who don't write, or who haven't written this week and people who write but don't vote.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

I suppose in that case it would be fine, but several registered members have the same SN there as they do here. Wouldn't it be pretty simple to relate the two?

But you're right. I suppose not everyone critiquing necessarily wrote. That makes sense.

HSO
Member # 2056

We should make a guessing topic. That would be fun.
Beth
Member # 2192

Other places where I've done flash, the author is encouraged to comment on their own stuff, precisely to avoid anyone figuring out who wrote what.

styles will become recognizable over time, sure. but if we keep getting this many people it will take a long time to be able to recognize everyone's style!

HSO
Member # 2056

We now have 18 stories...

One of them got lost. I'm hopeful that the automated system will dole out receipts upon submission [hint, hint, LDS ].

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Mea culpa!

Anyone who is done viewing/commenting already, please go back and look at #18.

Author #18, sorry!

Rahl22
Member # 1411

The problem is the writing is done over the weekend when I have time and the reading part is done during the week when I really don't. Just something I need to keep in mind for the next time.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Just adding the link down here to make it easier:

Go to Liberty Hall and click Forums to get to the Flash Challenge forums, and click Flash to go to the stories. The username and password are presented in the forums.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
The problem is the writing is done over the weekend when I have time and the reading part is done during the week when I really don't. Just something I need to keep in mind for the next time.

Any more comments on this?

HSO
Member # 2056

Yes, I have comments...

We'll supply readers with stories ahead of time providing they pay us to do so.

Kidding.

You don't have to critique all of them, or even read each story fully. Read the ones that appeal to you, thus utilizing your time perhaps more wiser. You might consider using the topic where all of the intros are posted into one post to determine which stories grab your attention the most.

Alternatively, you can print the lot of stories and read them in every spare minute you get.

Lastly, you don't have to anything. Though we'd prefer you did.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

I suppose there is always the possibility of having the flash done in the few days leading up to the weekend, potentially allowing for more free-time to read.

But then, this could be an isolated problem with just me and I don't mean to stir up any muck

Beth
Member # 2192

I think a somewhat longer period to read and crit would be good. 17 stories is a lot to read through in 2 days. I think the crits are an important part of the process and shouldn't be skipped.

Luckily the stories are short! If these were full-on stories of 3k or more this would just be impossible to get through.

There's some good writing in there! Really interesting to see all the different takes on the topic.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Mea culpa, deja vu!

Anyone who is done viewing/commenting already, please go back and look at #19.

Author #19, sorry!

Arghhh!

HSO
Member # 2056

Rahl,

Mike and I will discuss, but I can assure that while we are flexible, we won't be making special allowances for anyone in particular. Presently, the time allotted for the challenges is based on a lot of factors. Our original intent was one day, but that was increased to a whole weekend. The weekend was chosen because many people don't work on a weekend. Time other time limitations are more to do with server space... there isn't much. We have a lot of issues to deal with... please participate, but realize that some concessions can't be made -- at least not yet. The auto-system may change everything!

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Actually, requiring EVERY participant to register would solve a lot of these issues, as I would feel more free to leave stories up for longer, etc. I haven't wanted to do that because I have NOT wanted to be exclusive in any way. But...
Rahl22
Member # 1411

I'm not saying we need more time, nor do I. But why not have the writing (which by definition is done quickly) during the week and then the reading/critiquing during the weekend?
HSO
Member # 2056

Thanks for your interest, Rahl. As I said, we will discuss our options.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. No, let me try again, "WOW!!!!!"

I just finished reading and voting and that is almost all I can say. There were some utterly fantastic stories this week. Many would require only a bit of work to become viable submission pieces. I can't believe the depth that some of the stories had. And they were written in an hour or so -- WOW!!!

Okay, I guess I need to start going through my thesauraus to find a new exclaimation, but I'm really impressed.

And to think, you guys thought I was being evil...

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if some of these stories only require a bit of work and are mostly complete, does that mean they can only be published as re-writes? Or does the password protected forum take care of that issue?

I think I missed something.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Don't worry. The stories are not up long enough, are not viewed enough, and are password protected to limit the number of views so they would not count as re-prints and you can still submit them for top dollar .
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Absolutely. To the best of my knowledge, by limiting access and by removing the stories after a short period, we have protected all your rights. Submit away. BTW, please also look at my submittals club post in the rants and raves forum on Liberty Hall.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

This is a LOT to read through and vote on.

Good problem to have, though. Let's talk about how to make it easier on the readers. We can do that over at Liberty Hall as I don't want to abuse the privilege that Kathleen has granted us here.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

I voted. I feel like I finished a marathon.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I can't believe I read them ALL! And commented (although I was running out of steam by the end), AND voted.

I also feel a bit as though I had just sat down and read a magazine cover to cover. If I didn't provide this flash challenge for any other reason, I would now provide it just for the reading. Some of you are really twisted! Some of you crack me up! Some of you touch my heart. All of you are brave to throw your efforts out into cyberspace for comments and votes.

I raise a glass to you all. Slainte!

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 18, 2005).]

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
To avoid the possibility of someone figuring out which flash was mine by my lack of a crit on it, I always post a fake crit of my own.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too, TaShaJaRo. There were only two pieces where I felt like I recognized the writer's voice.

I have read and voted. Now I need to take a nap to digest all of it.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

First off, I am trying to figure out how to automate the process. Bear with me since I have to figure out quite a bit about the system being used. Not impossible, and I'm sure I will get it.

What am I hoping to do...in brief:
Automate the whole flash process.
Possible rating system for each flash story.
Winner picked by best overall rating.
Allow the authors to post replies to thier flash without a second login and not give away who they are.
Instant reveal once voting is over (with an option to not have it happen)

Sadly, none of this can be done for guests, the system will require registration on the site.

I don't know about anyone else...but I can't imagine any of my flash stories going out the door without better endings. I would also go through and clean up the poor word choices and horrible mistakes I make while creating a flash. Although I love what comes out of me when I do them, I do believe they need some good overhauling. So I'm not worried about first publication being killed...after revision it won't be quite the same beast.

Beth
Member # 2192

those enhancements sound cool! I like the rating idea a lot.

of course flashes are going to get edited. i'd just rather not risk blowing rights unnecessarily. there's no good reason that i can see to display these flashes publicly.

and sometimes, you know, you get it right the first time.

HSO
Member # 2056

Well if mike's deleting his, then I'm deleting mine. ... harrumph!

deleted...

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 19, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Good ideas, guys.

[deleted]

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited April 19, 2005).]

HSO
Member # 2056

Fair enough. I'm going to discuss this further at Liberty Hall where it belongs. Apologies.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.