Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What do women do in the restroom together? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What do women do in the restroom together?
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
This has come up while writing an Ask Mr. Writing Person column. It's not important that he knows - in fact, it's essential that he's clueless - but his questioner is female, and she needs to be authentic.

So when women are on a triple date, and one stands up and says, "Let's go to the ladies room!" and they all tromp off together leaving the men to stare awkwardly at each other over half-eaten crab quiche... what are they doing in there?

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
surely Mr. Writing Person knows they're doing heroin in there.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
They all go in to practice kissing. Everybody knows that. Then it's heroin. Or maybe it's heroin first and kissing after.

What they aren't doing is talking about their men or anything else, really. That never happens.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, please. He's asking a serious question.

They are doing two things:

1) Talking about themselves. "Do I look all right?" "Look at me, I dribbled food on my chest, now I look stupid!" "Is this the right color of lipstick?" "What's wrong with my hair today!"

and they are:

2) Talking about the men. "Isn't he cute?" "Do you think he'll ask me out again?" "He's so fine..." .... of course, if this is a relationship that is headed south, the conversation may lean toward, "He's so stupid."

That's all it is. The ladies room is like Information Central.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Making themselves more beautiful if the date is going well or, if the date is not going well, they are plotting how to escape and what to do once they ditch the loser guys.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
They might also being using the toilet. 100% of women need to pee at some point in their lives, or is that just a myth?
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Personally, I am too busy doing heroin and practicing kissing to actually pee.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
On a more serious note, women have been raised to be cautious, especially with regard to going to places they've never been before, and restrooms in the backs of restaurants qualify.

Men aren't raised to be cautious that way, so they don't need the "strength in numbers."

There is also the talking and the using the facilities and the fixing of makeup (it's rude to fix makeup in public, dontcha know). And if the restroom is tastefully decorated (the fancier the restaurant, the fancier the ladies restroom), there is oohing and ahhing about the decor.

But speaking as a woman who was raised to be cautious, the "strength in numbers" when going someplace I've never been before is reason enough. (Maybe you haven't heard the horror stories about what can happen to a woman alone, but I have, many times.)

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

yeah, but this is Mr. Writing Person. Have you read his column?

Here's how the conversation will probably play out:

Questioner: So the other woman and I left the table to go to the bathroom. We were going to--

Mr. Writing Person: Do heroin, yes, I know. And practice kissing.

Q: What? No, we were not! We were going to--

MWP: You ignorant Philistine. Denial might work fine for you in real life, but fiction requires honesty.

Q: But I don't do heroin!

MWP: Ah, so the kissing part is true? Excellent. All truly great novels have kissing in them.

Q: I don't remember there being any kissing in Moby Dick.

MWP: You ignorant heroin-addicted Philistine. It was symbolic. Luckily for you, I'm here to explain these subtleties. Remember the scene where Abraham Lincoln gets into a fistfight with Captain Ahab?

Q: Uh, no.

MWP: You ignorant Philistine.

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.

Well, just call me "ignorant Philistine" then. (Isn't that a redundancy?)

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, trousercuit, I didn't realize that Beth was just a pseudonym you use!

Beth, I'd say that was a great spoof, but it's too accurate of a rendering of what he'll actually do in his next column.

Regards,
Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

You can tell us apart easily: Mr. Writing Person is the one who thinks "alright" is ok.

Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty, make a mental note never to go into a restroom with Beth unless heavily armed.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited June 03, 2006).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I never did go to the bathroom with other women very often. When I did, it was usually a coincidence -- we all had to pee at the same time. Once we did it as something of a joke because the men in our group were discussing women getting up and going to the bathroom together.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

- posted      Profile for trousercuit   Email trousercuit         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, everyone else who answered seriously: thank you.

Everyone else who didn't: thank you.

There's no way Beth is a pseudonym. It's illiterate Philistine, not ignorant. And yes, we diverge on the "alright" thing, too. (It's the posterior injective of "all right," okay? By the way, this one's making it into the "fack" I'm posting on Monday morning.)

Other than that, we're identical. Except the gender thing. And location. Genes, etc. Gravity, though, we have in common. I think.

EDIT: This is actually about eight Ask Mr. Writing Person columns out. I've produced a shameful number of them in just a few weeks. It disturbs me.

And Beth pretty much nailed the last part of it, except it's not about the questioner going to the restroom, it's about Cher, Paris, and Hildegarde.

[This message has been edited by trousercuit (edited June 04, 2006).]

Posts: 453 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

ignorant, illiterate, whatever; I stopped reading because of the "alrights." it was either stop reading or claw my eyes out.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Alright.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Do you all ways claw your eyes out when you come across it?
Beth
Member # 2192

Yeah. Now I mostly have to use a Braille reader for internet stuff.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

My heck! How many eyes did you start with, Beth?

Now that I know this about you, I'm predisposed to be less snarky.

Beth
Member # 2192

Oh, God, sorry. The last thing I want to do is contribute to someone becoming less snarky.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Good.

You're an illiterate Philistine.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with being less snarky is that the usual alternative to a snark is a Boojum.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some things men are not meant to know...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trousercuit
Member # 3235

... like the definition of Boojam, for example? I can't get Google to give me a straight answer. It also keeps suggesting "boojum."
Survivor
Member # 213

That's because "Boojam" is incorrect. Who, besides you, said anything about Boojams?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

apparently he is an illiterate Philistine.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

I'm afraid not. "Boojam" is the subjugular normative form of Boojum, and is commonly used for emphasis.
Beth
Member # 2192

Someday, someone's going to make the mistake of taking you seriously, you know?
trousercuit
Member # 3235

I hope so. That person has no business writing.

The only difference is that getting laughed out of the hobby/business will happen a lot sooner.

My biggest worry is that it would be a kid, who wouldn't be expected to know better.

Beth
Member # 2192

I'd be careful to avoid giving any advice that would lead a naieve reader into signing with a scam agent or PublishAmerica.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it a very tired, old joke?

"Oh yeah. the old restroom en masse joke."

Do they ever wonder what we all talk about when they are gone?

'Sheesh mate, lights are on but no-one's home!' number one guy says.
'You happen to be talking about the woman I love...' number two guy replies looking miserable and staring at his drink.
Pause.
Another pause while number one guys makes unobtrusive, let's get out of here gesture to number three guy.
Yet another pause while number three guy thinks of something.
'Might go see if the bar is still open... ' number three guy suggests.
'Ooh wait, I'll come too...' number one guy chimes in. 'You want anything Joe?'
'More scotch...double.' says number two guy

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 05, 2006).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Imagine if you were on a triple date ( by the way, who goes on triple dates?)and have one guy stand up and say:
"I'm going to the restroom." and the other two say, "Ooh wait, I'll come too." that would be weird!

I used to date a girl who would occasionally flip out a little round mirror and furtively check her make-up. Clearly not for my benefit because she would check who was looking and if it was only me she'd go right on ahead and fix her lipstick. So one day when she did it I asked if I could borrow the mirror and got out a disposable razor I had brought and neatened-up my top lip.

No... she didn't think it was particularly funny either.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

Then there's being left sitting with two other guys you don't know and would rather slap than talk too just because the girls insisted on a triple date.
trousercuit
Member # 3235

Okay, that's hilarious. To bad it didn't work out - but then, would you have wanted it to anyway?

I know it's an old joke, but Mr. Writing Person has his own unique twists on the idea. Mutagen-injected nuclear garden lizards, for example. And... three guys in a bathroom, primping themselves. One says, "Can you zip me up?"

Beth: Duly noted, and good idea. I wouldn't want people to actually get scammed because of something I write, no matter how illiterate they are.

pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Does eating make the stubble grow faster? Because it does rub off lipstick.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

This particular occasion was in the foyer of a movie theatre BEFORE the movie.
Odd on many levels.

Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also found that stubble rubs off lipstick. I think I'm going to start carrying a razor and mirror on dates with my wife now.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Bright red stubble, mm-hmmm!

hoptoad, anything a woman does involving lipstick is potentially flirtatious. It's little wonder she took your little turn-about play the wrong way, since you were probably taking her preening the wrong way. Of course, we may be working from different data sets, I probably never took the woman in question to dinner, after all.

As for a bunch of guys all going to the bathroom together...some women might find it wierd, but their initial instinct would probably be delight at getting to stay at the table together. And some might find the idea of a man who is comfortable "being sociable" with other men attractive. Of course, men and women have fundamentally different modes of sociability, women almost never recognize male socialization for what it is and men find female socialization superficial (and a little creepy if it happens between men).

Ultimately, trousercuit has a point with his "would you have wanted it to anyway?" comment. You gotta be a guy. If a woman can't handle that...so be it. Not that I've managed to get married or anything like that

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Appreciate the implication that I work from some sort of data set.
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
Um, personally, I like going to the bathroom with other girls because, as odd as this sounds, I'm easily confused in buildings and have a tendency to get lost. Going to the bathroom with another female means I can follow her and not worry.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There's the old saying from high school. "Who knows what goes on in the girls' locker room...but wouldn't you guys like to be there to see it?"
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I can't claim to have been familiar with that saying, or even to believe that it's really a saying now that I've been familiarized with it.

I'm curious about what hoptoad works from if he doesn't work from a data set.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I made it up about five minutes before posting it...but it certainly sums up the attitude at my high school...
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
If the women all leave for the restroom at the same time as the check comes, that is a sign for the men to divide the bill and pay it while they are gone- though that may be a bit old fashioned.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer extrapolations of reality from fairy cake over data sets.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Fairy cake is a data set, though.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

quote:

I had not a dispute but a disquisition with Dilke, on various subjects; several things dovetailed in my mind, & at once it struck me, what quality went to form a Man of Achievement especially in literature & which Shakespeare possessed so enormously - I mean Negative Capability, that is when man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts without any irritable reaching after fact & reason.

mmm fairy cake

trousercuit
Member # 3235

Sorry, Survivor. Your perceptions of fairy cake are a data set.

Just wanted to get us back onto rigorous ground, you know.

By the way, quidscribis, I first read your post like this:

quote:
Um, personally, I like going to the bathroom with girls because, as odd as this sounds, I'm easily confused in buildings and have a tendency to get lost...

I thought you were a guy and kept waiting for the punch line.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought you were a guy and kept waiting for the punch line.

You must have missed her many references to her husband

And, regarding the mission in the bathroom... sometimes we women just need to pee.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited June 08, 2006).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.