Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » statistics

Author Topic: statistics
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for fun, I decided to run some statistics. Of the last fifty people to introduce themselves, five have posted a "first 13" under short stories. Of the last fifty people to post a "first 13" under short stories, fifteen have gone on to make a second post this month, eight have three posts, one (me) has five, monstewere has six, and debhoag has an amazing nine. Yeah, debhoag!

Of course, the important statistic is what percent of the people who come here with a serious desire to become professional writers make it. Any guesses?

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually wondering about that very thing, Rick, but wasn't sure it would be appreciated if I asked. Now that you have, though, Yippee! I would love to know how many folks that come here end up being published. Two qualifications: they stick around more than, say, three months, and the story is something that has been posted here - seem right?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm one who posted three times. I, too, was wondering about this. How long is the average time people spend on the forum? How many of these folk get published, and how many drop off after they get published? I even when back into the archives and poked around to see some old names there who don't post any more.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

I think a lot of people get their first crit or two and decide its not their cup of tea and just drop out. That's why i was qualifying by people who continue posting for several months.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think a lot of people get their first crit or two and decide its not their cup of tea and just drop out.

If one weren't used to critiques, one might run screaming from F&F. I agree with Deb.

I think one of the first issues a newbie here has is that the first thirteen isn't the whole story. I had my doubts at first, but I've learned a ton from F&F. I think the uniqueness of it is important. You can go lots of other places to get a full critique.

While it's not the whole story, it says lots about your writing.

Sadly, it can be a bit of a shock to receive 39 lines of feedback on 13 lines of text, from 10 different people

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

a veritable banquet of critical observations to choose from!
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think also people come on with a variety of projects and intentions. For instance, my primary focus is my novel, and after that, another novel. Short stories are a recent experiment for me, hence the rarity of my posts in that area. Novels are not only slower to get to a point where I might solicit critiques, but also, once I post an opening, that's kind of it for a while. I'm working on other parts first before I worry too much about getting a killer opening down. I don't think you can necessarily gauge from my behavior on the board my seriousness, or whether or not I'm shocked by F&F. Some people, I suspect, sign on not to get critiqued but just to be part of a witty, astute community of writers.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few more questions worth asking:

How many Bootcampers go on to get published? In my group, probably 8-9 have been published in the last year.

Do Bootcampers come back to the main forums, or do they stick to the closed forums?

Just wonderin'...

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

And is it bootcamp that polishes you up and gets you published, or is it the fact that you are serious enough to set aside the time and money to go to bootcamp?
The G-Bus Man
Member # 6019

- posted      Profile for The G-Bus Man   Email The G-Bus Man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, the important statistic is what percent of the people who come here with a serious desire to become professional writers make it. Any guesses?

Lots?

I'd also be interested to see where I rate, although I haven't been making a lot of posts anywhere but here, and even here as of late not a lot.

I've been lost in Homecoming

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Homecoming as in a fascinating new work of fiction you are going to share with your friends, or homecoming as in teenagers and chaperones and gyms with paper flowers?
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been with Hatrack since Feb 06, and I come on all the time. Trouble is, I am working on a novel, and as excited as I am about it, I am not going to post the first 13 lines until I am finished with the first draft. But, I absolutely have a serious desire to become a professional writer. I would wager that there are many in my same situation, so perhaps the statistics do not tell the whole story.
That said, I assume that many drift through Hatrack, post their work, sneer at any negative responses, and never come back.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that being a bootcamper correlates with being published because:

1) You have to have a decent command of language to get pass the 8:1 screen (nominally 100 applicants of which 15 or so make the cut).

2) You have to be someone who cares enough about writing that you're willing to pony up a week and ~$1000 (tuition, travel, hotel, etc.) to polish that craft.

3) You get to spend three days working together with Scott Card, learning all that stuff that you can't get from his books (good though they are) and public lectures. And you get both all the whippings you deserve for your writing faults in a nurturing environment where you are also told how wonderful your writing is based on a story you whipped up out of nothing in a single day.

I find I like to wander over here to Hatrack, but it takes time I can't always afford if I also want to be a productive human, a parent, and a writer. Not to mention my favorite vices...

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, keep in mind that Mr. Card's bootcamp isn't by any means the only writer's workshop and his methods of teaching (and theories) aren't the only ones out there.

Whether it is nurturing or not--well, I don't know. I know it wouldn't be the one for me.

Edit: However, I am intensely focused on reaching a professional standard in my work. That doesn't mean that I find this the best place to get my work critted. It is nice for chatting (or occasionally arguing).

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 16, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is 50% or less come here with the serious desire to get published in, say, the next 12 months. I think a lot of students use these forums, and that's great. I also think a lot of people who are interested in writing but a little less serious about it (say, would like to be published *some day* but aren't doing the things they need to do now to get themselves published in the next 12 mos, e.g., writing a lot, revising a lot, researching the market, submitting, etc.)

But then that's 50% of the currently ACTIVE community at any given time. From what I can tell, that's about 100 users, give or take. I think the forum shows a few thousand (2900 is the number in my head but I'm not sure if I made that up, LOL) registered users, but I'd hazard a bet that in any given month, only 100, maybe 200 max post anything on any of the public forums.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been posting here for 3 months and put up two attempts at stories. The result is that I've learned more in a few months than in the previous 6 years. One of the stories has been submitted and the other is being re-worked to novel length. With all I have to gain, why would I leave?

The most beneficial critiques have been off-line reads of "the whole thing" rather than first 13's. The on-line crits of 13 lines are valuable when they discuss the way things are expressed and how to put a hook where an editor is most likely to read it. It has been far more valuable when Hatrackers have been able to tell me their opinions about entire plots, characterization, etc.

The critiques I've received also helped me make progress in giving constructive criticism, so I can return the favors.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to become a professional writer and have been posting for a few months. I've posted first 13s for three short SF stories. From crits of the first 31s and the stories themselves I've learned much and feel stronger as a storyteller. As a result of Hatrack crits one of those shorts will grow into a series, and one of the others will perhaps develop into the backstory for a longer work.

Also, I find I learn from critiqueing other people's stories, because I have to explain why I think the story doesn't work as well as what does. Sometimes those lessons are relevant to my own work.

Like most wannabe writers I've read several books on writing, yet not completely understood them. I find the discussions here bring them to life. Now I know, for example, why adverbs are considered a Bad Thing and how they might be fixed.

Finally I think Hatrack is a great mutual support group. It's kinda fun to know there are others out there wrestling with the same writerly problems, and it's encouraging to get a few offers to read one's latest piece and learn what works, what doesn't.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, I am intensely focused on reaching a professional standard in my work. That doesn't mean that I find this the best place to get my work critted.

I'm interested in where these other more serious places are? Am I just out of the loop?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of those who might attempt to get published *some day*. My time is so limited--I'm not willing to sacrifice elsewhere to become a pro. But I lurk around because there's a lot to learn here, and my story wants to be told.

Echo the comments on novel-length work -- I've received first-13 crits here on two alternate beginnings (thanks folks!), but the rest will probably have to wait. Last week a relative (a long-time member of a writer's group) critted my first two chapters, and boy did she catch a lot! It was funny -- the other relatives were worried for me, that she was too rough, but there was only one comment that didn't sit well, and we talked it through later. I can't wait to have a good chunk of time to re-work it.

I've only critted two short pieces here off-line, and I'm not sure yet if they were done "right". And I haven't asked anyone here to crit more than my first 13, because it is so much a work in progress -- I'd rather wait until its further along to ensure I'm making better use of people's time, if that makes sense.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alethea Kontis
Member # 3748

- posted      Profile for Alethea Kontis   Email Alethea Kontis         Edit/Delete Post 
Bootcamp (2003) was an inspiration, an eye opener, and a serious kick in the butt. I had no idea how desperately in need I was of all three.

My fellow campers that went on to some fame and fortune (and who still keep in touch) are: Eric James Stone, Scott Roberts, Nadia Cornier (of Firebrand Literary Agency), Christine Amsden, and David Gill.

(Am I forgetting anyone?)

Eventually, we evolved beyond the Bootcamp forums.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
This place was an excellent find for me. Already, my early stories are becoming polished and perhaps even publishable. People here are really good at serious critiquing without being cruel.
I think what I've learned here will give me the courage to move on to tougher venues - writers conferences, etc. (Perhaps it shows how much of a novice I still am that I can't come up with more than one 'tougher venue')

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very tempted to apply to the Boot Camp. I live in Tennessee, so it would be an easy trip. On the other hand, I'm afraid I would start to argue politics with Card, which would be a total waste of his time and mine.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

quote:
I'm interested in where these other more serious places are? Am I just out of the loop?

Well, I didn't say this place wasn't serious, it just doesn't suit me. Critter's Workshop is where I do my critting and have my work critted, if you want to know.

I generally prefer to have my novels critted as a whole and put out a Dedicated Critter request.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited September 22, 2007).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't comment much because I don't put up much. I think it'd be rude to comment directly on someone's work without offering up my own. Instead I stay over here and comment on what pops up here.

I have offered up and I have commented. Just rarely.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I pretty much never crit here since I don't put up stories to be critted here.

Someone got really mad at me not long ago (well, I suspect she was already mad at me) for saying that, because I do comment on issues people bring up about there works. I don't consider that critting. If someone asks, do you think "thus and so" will work, I don't mind giving an opinion. But I won't actually crit unless I'm willing to put my own work up to be critted.

As an exception, I put up the first 13 of the story I sent to WotF, but that is likely to be a one time thing. I have nothing against Hatrack River. I just prefer the setup of other venues.

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only weirdo (usually so...) who was published first, and then joined this group?

I joined because while I belong to a wonderful writing group, none of them write in the same genre I do. So I was missing out on critiques that take genre into account, and what the markets look for and all that stuff. I wanted to go that step forward. I would definitely say that I am aiming toward being a professional. I try to have at least three short stories out there (meaning, somewhere in an editor's office) at all times. And I work on my novel in between shorts (like, if I get stuck with my novel, I let it rest while I work on a short story).

Um, did I even answer the question? Sorry. I have a five year old, and obviously, it's witching hour!!

--Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.