Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Q2WotF Results (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Q2WotF Results
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, folks. I have absolutely nothing to say about this topic - I just had to tip the number of posts from 99 to 100.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, which hatrackers are still in the running?
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just Snapper and Sara now. The whole project was a huge success though, with many HM's. Pretty impressive! Just goes to show you how good this group is (gives KDW unrequited hug and peck on the cheek)

Tracy

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 20, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, shucks. I didn't do anything.

You all are doing all the work.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

The last of the HM's are up and the semi and finalists should be up anytime. Holding my breath for Sara and Snapper.

Tracy

The only finalist we know of so far is Ben Hardin of Utah. Not sure if he's a member of Hatrack. His previous pubs include a short story in The Leading Edge, a science-fiction/fantasy anthology. 2004. Currently at BYU.

Note: BENJAMIN HARDIN had an HM in the first quarter.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 21, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Holding my breath for Sara and Snapper.

Me too! *fingers crossed*

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
Sara Garcia of Madrid Spain

Is this our Sara?

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Congrats, Sara.

Boy, I should take up betting... I'm good.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Did she win?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Semi-Finalist. A little bitter sweet to be honest. That girl can write. But it all comes down to KD Wentworth in the end.
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Sara. Way to go!

Well, I think all in all, we did pretty well here at Hatrack. Even better next time, I hope. Good luck all for Q3.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Sara is Sara Genge...unless she's using a pseudonym or they misspelled it.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the first stories I posted 1st 13 of here, "Redlight" made semi-finalist
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, congrats arriki (if I'm reading it right...) - that's excellent news!

And congrats to Sara whether she's "our" Sara or not.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Arriki! That is brilliant.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, congrats to arriki and Sara! Welcome to the club. I congrated Brenta today, who has a nonwinning finalist with me in Q4, and she said it's almost better to be a semifinalist than a nonwinning finalist--you get pro feedback.

The Top 18 is no small feat by any means, especially this quarter.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's great news! Congrats!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I think I'm the Sara in the semis list. There can't be another writing SF from Madrid, Spain.

I've emailed the admins to correct the mistake, though. So unless there is another Sara SF writer over here who doesn't go to the only English language crit group that I know of in Madrid, the correct name should be up on the blog shortly.

I'm thrilled to have made the semis and look forward to KD's critique: I've heard they're really good.

Thanks everyone for the congrats and support. Hanging out with you here is a blast.

And congrats to all the other HM's and semi-finalists. Are there any finalists around here? If so, mega congrats to them too.

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited May 21, 2008).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

How do they send the critiques? I never received a phone call or email, just say my name and state on the list.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Sara and Arriki!
Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Congrats.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my answer yesterday. It seems I have the distinct honor of receiving the last 'you didn't win' messages this quarter. News went great with th rest of my week.
Laptops fried, ladies and gents. You'l be hearing from me a litte less for awhile.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Went well with hitting a deer as well

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited May 21, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

- posted      Profile for JeanneT   Email JeanneT         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack, Snapper. That is bad. I'm really sorry you're having such a bad week.

Congrats to everyone who had better news.

[This message has been edited by JeanneT (edited May 21, 2008).]

Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
arriki,

You'll get a page-long critique from Kathy--if I remember from a year ago correctly, it'll come in the SASE you sent them. It'll probably be a few more weeks. Kathy has to reread all the semis.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
SEE BELOW

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited May 21, 2008).]

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys/gals who made semi-finalist, you should let us know what Kathy said about your stories, the good, the weak parts etc...

NOTE: I was a semi-finalist last year. You show me yours, I'll show you mine <---blush...referring to the critique, of course.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Sorry to hear that Snapper. There was some tough competition this quarter. Hope your week gets better also. I am having a rough one as well.

Congrats everyone. I thought that must have been Sara. I didn't imagine there being to many great SF writers named Sara in Madrid. Since this is the last quarter that you are eligible, I am glad you went out on top. Keep up the good work.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Sara and Arriki!

More than a little jealous.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Sara and Arriki!
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
http://wotfblog.galaxypress.com/2008/05/semi-finalists-and-finalists-for-2nd.html

The blog has been corrected. It's indeed me. This is the furthest I've ever gotten in WoTF and I'm thrilled.

Thanks for the congrats guys.

The good news is that I can still enter WoTF: it's the fourth pro sale that disqualifies you. Note to self: next time, read guidelines more carefully.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Awesome, Sara, though boo for us who therefore have to compete with you for at least one more quarter.

Congrats to you arriki, and all the other Hatrackers who made the HM rolls again.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Thanks, KayTi.

It was one of my lysiscan stories that made the semi-finals. I think I'll try something else next quarter.

cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, congrats to all of you.

Did Hatrack have a critique group going for this, and if so, are they doing one for the next quarter?

Edit: Just saw the posts in the writer's group section. I'll be on the lookout for the next thread come July 1st.

[This message has been edited by cklabyrinth (edited May 23, 2008).]

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, on both counts.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Incidently, I don't think any of the HM or semi-finalists from Hatrack were in that group(WOTF q2). I wasn't. Just putting that out there, not saying that you shouldn't join the group or anything...
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in that group, Patrick James. It was very valuable to me, and I'm sure helped me to get the HM. I'd recommend the WoTF group to anyone. The people that participate are great!

And congrats to arriki on your semi-finalist story.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I got home the other day and read my rejection letter. They referred me to a site on formatting. Now I had my daughter print my script out (I was away) and she didn't incert my headers (title and page numbers). Would it have gotten rejected because of that? I hate to think so but the rules do state that they are needed.
JeanneT
Member # 5709

Snapper, I use the template you can download from Shimmer. That way I start out with the right formatting. I don't have a link to it handy but it's linked to their submission guideline page.
Posts: 1588 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Shimmer (www.shimmerzine.com), and the templates were a bit tricky to find.

You have to go to the submission guidelines page, and then scroll down to the "Formatting" paragraphs. The word "templates" right above "How to Submit" is a download link for the templates, even though (so far as I could tell on my browser) it wasn't underlined or a different color. If you click on it, the templates can be downloaded to your computer at a .zip file.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeanneT
Member # 5709

I'd forgotten that it's a little hard to find, but I recall it taking me a minute to figure it out the first time I went there. But it's nice to have a template for formatting set up exactly how it should be. The only changes I made in it were to insert my personal information and change the font from Courier New to Dark Courier--a personal preference that still fits within guidelines. I got the recommendation for that font from Robert Sawyer's excellent website.
arriki
Member # 3079

What is there about the templating that's hard? Am I missing something crucial? I'm about to send off a story to the Heinlein contest. They wanted in .txt, .rtf, .pdf, or .doc format.

WOTF accepted in Word or WordPerfect, if I remember right.

If I just do a save in, say, .txt from WordPerfect my text will go through legibly enough, or won't it? Heading with partial title, page numbers all there????

arriki
Member # 3079

Put me in a concrete room -- soudproofed -- with a thousand ceramic dishes to break one at a time while I scream!

Oh, oh, OH!!!!!

I can't believe it!
The only reason "Redlight" did not make it to the finals is that at the bottom of page three a line was dropped. The last three words of a sentence somehow didn't get printed even though they are in the file on my computer!!!

That's it! That's all that was wrong!!

Argh!!!!!!!

KayTi
Member # 5137

Really? Oh my, let me into that room and I'll help you break those dishes.

Wow, I never would have thought to do a page-line check on a final draft. Usually I print the final one and then kind of close my eyes (after proofing the cover page and checking that all pages printed in black ink) and stuff it in an envelope and try not to look at it again lest my personal editor break from her padded cell and start trying to make changes yet again.

I'll think twice about doing that in the future. I am sorry!

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

arriki,

Congrats. I hear it was a tough quarter and that means your story was good enough to be finalist, which in another quarter might have won.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Arriki, that bites! If you did it once, though, I bet you can do it again!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

That sucks!!! *Gives you a Bob and a bat.*
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.