Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Post Apocalyptic cliches (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Post Apocalyptic cliches
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody has mentioned cannibalism. I understand that's going to be fairly popular after civilization's demise.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I did (mention cannibals) but that was in the 'Fimbulvinter' thread. 'Lucifer's Hammer' and 'The Road' are two post apocalypse novels that deal with it.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
The inexplicable full operational capacity of gun and ammunition manufacturing facilities.

I love that factories and corporations have long since ceased to exist, but everyone and their moms carry assault rifles with working 5.56mm bullets. This does, of course, make video games in post-apocalyptia more fun (thank you, Fallout 3). I'm not a gun expert, but I understand you need a fair amount of precision to make automatic weapons, as well as to make bullets that fire in anything more advanced than a musket. I'll buy that people can figure out how to make relatively small metal pellets and stuff gunpowder into a tube (assuming they have access to saltpetre...)

Also -- don't mean to set off a firestorm or anything, but I did a double-take at JudyMac's post earlier. Where are you getting your numbers -- 1 in 4 men are gay? I suspect gay men everywhere would rejoice if this were the case, and there would be a far more equitable set of rights if the oppressed population was 25% of the country.

This actually leads me to my other personal pet peeve of far-future writing, both apocalyptic and just plain-old-futurey: the absolute loosening of sexual "values" results in 1) apocalypse, 2) ennui, malaise, and godlessness (that often leads to apocalypse) that only the main character discovers a way out of. These plots tend to sound to me like "our kids have no respect" crossed with the fall of civilization. It's hard to read such a story and not hear "You kids get your keisters off my lawn!" echoing around my head.

1. It's been done to death.
2. It takes an overly simplistic view of youth and society as a whole.
3. It usually ignores the effects of religion (which often disappears in the book), <insert favorite STD>, and the quasi-cyclical nature of what people view as "values." All three of these things will likely be around until the end of humanity, even with the evil influences of that darn rock-&-roll music.

That people will think differently about sex in the future -- sure, I buy that. It's part of speculating the nature of the future to write about it. That they will have destroyed the world through sexual permissiveness, or at least created a world where half the people couldn't care less if it were to be destroyed? I don't think so. I think in any version of the future there will still be sex in the form of hippie love communes, modern traditional marriages, illicit homosexual encounters, and of course two teens sneaking out into the woods at a promise-keepers' "purity" convention.

[This message has been edited by micmcd (edited February 02, 2009).]

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more of a fallout 1 and 2 kind of guy. 3 was okay though, just ... not the same.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether or not they're cliches, but I can't stand apocalyptic stories where everyone's situation is hopeless or most of the characters we're expected to care for die after the start of the story.

My high school class read Alas, Babylon. Out of all the stories we read and watched about nuclear devastation, that's the one I actually enjoyed.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
aspirit, then don't read Nevil Shute's ON THE BEACH.

Edited to add: I remember liking ALAS, BABYLON, too, but it's been a long time since I've read it.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 02, 2009).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
micmcd,

On the one hand, the tolerances on modern ammo are too tight for people to make anything useful from scratch. Too wide or long, won't fit the chamber, gun won't be fireable. Too short or thin, pressure will spike when the trigger is pulled and the gun (and possibly shooter) will be damaged, probably seriously.

On the other hand, people commonly make their own ammunition through a process called "reloading", in which you take fired brass, clean it and resize it, reload it with new gunpowder and primer, and pack a new bullet in the end. The equipment required to reload is mechanically simple.

It is entirely feasible for an individual to cast his own bullets, and (in a real pinch, and after a lot of dangerous experimentation) make his own gunpowder. It is the brass and primers that require advanced manufacturing processes.

Because there are millions of rounds of good brass extant (which can be reused 3 or 4 times) and a lot of primer caps that will remain good indefinitely, it is possible to have a Fallout 3 sort of future. The ammo supply would most likely run out when the last unfired primer cap was ignited.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Ah yes J, but what about the abundance of flame throwers and rocket-propelled grenade launchers that even common thugs have access to?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

Ironically, a flame thrower is probably a lot more realistic to make at home (or whatever passes for home in a post-apocalyptic wasteland) than percussion cap ammunition.

As to the RPGs, you probably have a point.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

Thanks J -- I had no idea you could reuse bullet caps. I know virtually nothing about modern guns and ammo -- only that you can't just stick anything into a gun and expect it to fire in a nice straight line, and that there wasn't much room for error on a modern gun (5.56mm == clean shot, 5.8mm == gun jam / exploding hand surprise).
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Fulminate percussion caps were introduced in the 1830s, before shell casings. Other methods were also used for igniting powder by percussion. The Maynard Roll was like a toy pistol's paper roll of caps, but with a more potent ignition source. Revolving magazines of brass percussion caps were also invented and used extensively. Barrel rifling came first, though, as early as the 15th Century, but didn't come into widespread application until about the same time as percussion caps. Other compounds besides fulminates have been used. In the early 20th Century so-called smokeless powders were made with perchlorates (white gunpowder) and/or nitrocellulose. The entire cartridge was filled with percussion-sensitive compound. They had a tendency to go off if handled roughly, though.

.22 bullets today don't have a percussion cap. The percussion-sensitive primer compound is poured into the casing before the powder.

None of the processes used to make bullets would defy preindustrial age technology. Given the need and the knowledge, a late bronze age technological level would suffice to make bullets, though steel age for the barrels. Reliability, range, and accuracy would not be as high, nor would full automatic weapons be reliable due to inherent inconsistency in casing sizing, but still plausible for a small and primitive manufactory to produce bullets. In the alternative, the latest advancement in fire delivery, Lead Storm's electic ignition technology, is relatively simple to reproduce.

Flame throwers are hazardous devices, even the best made modern ones have disastrous outcomes in inexperienced hands.

RPGs are also relatively simple to reproduce in otherwise primitive conditions. And, again, reliability, accuracy, and range would suffer, but if delivered on target, effectiveness would not be diminished. In Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold Farnham tipped homemade explosive projectiles with a friction-percussion senstive compound. Fortunately, Heinlein didn't accurately portray the chemical preparation. Authentic, but not sufficiently accurate for an amatuer chemist to make it.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited February 03, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Durning the Napolionic wars, Napolion was about to face air rifles that could load faster than gunpowder, fire farther, more accurately. He declared that anybody caught with an air rifle would be tortured to death.

Air rifle technology would be fairly easy to develop and quite effective and faster firing than guns. my only thought is of an air rifle based society, having to fire in space.....

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I'm going to politely disagree with you on that point, extrinsic, because the RPG I handled (and no I didn't get to fire it) seemed incredibly sophisticated and delicate. Unlike pipebombs, which are still very prone to user/maker error, the grenade launcher just isn't something I can imagine you making in your garage. Maybe somoene can. But I'm not going to believe it until I see it.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

An RPG requires four things, a launch tube, a ballistically stable grenade, a rocket proplusion engine, and a fuse mechanism. A heavy cardboard tube would do for a single launch or two. A perchlorate rocket fuel, like on a solid rocket booster, can be molded like plastic into a relatively precise engine and ignited by a simple fuse or electrical charge. A ballistically stable grenade is no harder to make than a conventional explosive projectile. A lathe-turned fragmentation casing would do. For a triggering fuse, a simple fulminate contact trigger would suffice. I won't say whether I've made and fired several, not in this post 9-11 age. I won't go into more detail either, for the same reasons. Suffice it to say, the making of the ingredients and materials from scratch is time-consuming and extremely dangerous. And there's a whole lot of tricks of the trade that make it slightly less so.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that hasn't been brought up is the mine-shaft gap that would undoubtedly arise from any apocalyptic scenarios. Also, I'm down with the 10-1 ratio of women to men. I don't know that The Gays would like those odds, but, hey, it's our future we're talking about.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

What you're describing is sounding less and less like what appears in Fallout 3, and most other post-apoc fiction where RPG's are common place, that I've encountered.

I think common sense implies a few things.
1. It is harder to build things in post-apoc than it is now. materials are more scarce, etc. (This is situation dependent, but probably, usually true.)

2. If 1 is true, and RPG's are easy enough to make, as you imply, I think the police would be going against them more often now.

In other words "if it were so easy, more people would do it."

Having them around in P.A. stories isn't like... absurdly ridiculous or anything but, for me, it requires some additional suspension of disbelief.

---

lol rich, that makes me think of Dr. Strangelove

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited February 03, 2009).]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

The thing is given the needed ingredients and incentives, RPGs are absurdly easy to make. However, most of the precursors or actual ingredients are controlled substances. Making RPGs, let alone possession of the precursors of RPGs, in most countries is illegal. In the U.S., simple possession of some of the precursors is a federal felony offense. Saltpeter and perchlorate used to be available over the counter at most pharmacies and apothecaries.

Just making black powder, the least needed grenade ingredient, nowadays is a heavily controlled industry. Before the discovery of one particular and counterintuitive safety protocol for making black powder, manufactories blew up all the time.

The early motion picture industry relied on a simple to make pre-petroleum age plastic film that was highly explosive and incendiary. Theaters burned down regularly before a more stable plastic was developed. The same material is common today as a primer compound in British munitions. The same material was used to make early 20th Century plastic objects. Faux turtleshell hairbrush handles, among other things, were made from it. It had a curious tendency to explode in extreme circumstances. Even fireworks manufacturing is heavily controlled in most countries. Heck, even some fertilizers are heavily controlled since the Oklahoma City Federal Building bombing.

It's far simpler, safer, and cheaper to buy RPGs on the gray or black market war zone weapons market than to make them. But they can be made in primitive conditions.

Cheyne
Member # 7710

Rich: What is a mine-shaft gap? Where do you get the 10-1 ratio of which you speak? And who are The Gays? Is that a band? Never heard of them.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

Extrinsic, look at history. 150 years ago, when manufacturing technology was significantly advanced over what you'd expect to find in a post-apocalypse world, the most advanced, most finely-made rifles had mechanical accuracy of 2 minutes of angle.

Today, just about any American rifle, no matter how cheap, will shoot to mechanical accuracy of about 1 minute of angle.

So while it would be possible to build something like a primitive rifle, and something like a primitive bomb launcher, p.a., it's not going to be possible to replicate the accuracy, reliability, and destructive force that make today's weapons so darn useful. You can't put a molotov cocktail in a slingshot and call it an RPG, even if the gross function is the same.

We CANNOT permit a mine-shaft gap.

[This message has been edited by J (edited February 03, 2009).]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

I am familiar with the history of firearms. The high explosive family of nitrated compounds is barely 160 years old. Fulminates, 200 years. In a real world situation, sure, homemade RPGs are unlikely to be as accurate or handy as modern-day weapons. But as far as the plausibility of making battlefield effective ones under primitive conditions, possible. Nor are the ingredients that difficult to make or find. Perchlorate and saltpeter, for example, can be found in fertile soils. In Elizabethan England, agents of the crown roamed the countryside seizing saltpeter from privately owned basement walls where it just leached out of the ground under hydrostatic pressure.

Zip guns used to be a commonplace criminal weapon. Not anymore, the criminal culture just doesn't know how to make one or prepare it for firing anymore, not when handguns are readily available on the street.

Zero
Member # 3619

quote:
You can't put a molotov cocktail in a slingshot and call it an RPG, even if the gross function is the same.

LOL, oh now I know where they got the name Wrist Rocket!

rich
Member # 8140

Cheyne,
Sorry, I was trying to be funny, and not doing too good a job of it (my thanks to Zero, though). The mine-shaft gap and the 10-1 ratio is from Dr. Strangelove. If you haven't seen the movie, drop whatever you're doing, even if you're currently giving CPR to someone while reading this message board, stop CPR and reading this message board, and go to Blockbuster or Netflix and watch the movie.

The Gays was just me being idiotic. I saw someone posit the 1 in 4 people are gay thing, which strikes me as kinda high, and made a feeble attempt at humor. And I wasn't even drinking at the time.

So, Scout's Honor, I will no longer attempt to be funny unless I'm drunk. At least that way I'll have an excuse.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

No, I liked it! Be funny. Be funny.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been several years since I last watched Dr. Strangelove. Rich, you've inspired me to watch it again sometime this week. And I agree with Zero; don't quit the humor.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

Rich: By all means be funny. As you had capitalised 'The Gays' I thought that it was a proper noun, didn't know if I had missed something. (careful though, your joke was wandering close to unPC)

I googled the mine shaft gap and was illucidated. I have seen Dr. Strangelove, of course, but it was about 20 years ago and I had forgotten the dialogue I will have to pause from administering CPR long enough to see it again.

Another PA cliche-- utopian/distopian enclaves.
Beneath the Planet of the Apes- A Boy and His Dog-

Amazing how a simple question about cliches could get so big. I am pondering writing a very cliche filled post-apoc story just to take advantage of it all.

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not forget mutant, giant-sized insects and other, ordinarily small animals.

Ants. Spiders. Rats. You name it.

My apologies if this got mentioned before?

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
your points relates closely to one of my favorite topics, comic books. Why is it that in comic books (and post-apocalyptic stories), radiation so often has so many positive effects? Super size, super strength, wall-climbing abilities, spider-sense? Why don't any of these comic books ever start out with the hair failing out and the skin decaying? I suppose it would make it hard to make a series out of it if the hero dies from radiation poisoning right in the beginning.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

I think Alan Moore asked that same question, Steffenwolf, when he created Dr. Manhattan.

The greatest word that solves all problems in comic books, though, is: SOMEHOW.

Peter Parker managed to get bit by a radioactive spider that SOMEHOW transferred its DNA to him.

SOMEHOW Reed Richards and company didn't die when exposed to radiation.

Bruce Banner SOMEHOW survived a gamma ray(?!!) explosion and SOMEHOW manages to keep his pants on even though every other piece of clothing doesn't make it through the transformation.

SOMEHOW it's good stuff.

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Great points, regarding lethal radiation producing super-hero powers.

I am reminded of that greatest of all B-movie heroes, The Toxic Avenger!

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall...it's something that grew out of pre-WWII SF. Generally a more benign view of radiation was held---they understood that radiation caused mutations, but did not appreciate that it also caused radiation sickness and death. Couple that with the superhero comics, and, bango! radiation exposure caused mutations which created beings with superpowers.

SF proper grew out of it fast enough---but the comics never did.

(I had just been thinking of posting a complaint about mutant superpowers, but when I got here, I see you guys were ahead of me.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

OMG, the Toxic Avenger. That movie was on cable a week or two ago. Never seen it before. I think it may be one of the worst I've ever seen. And I've seen some real stinkers.

And regarding mutations in comic books again (forgive the slight sidetrack), why are all mutations in those stories useful? razor-sharp claws, powers of flight, weather-control, super-strength?

I don't like Piers Anthony's Xanth stories in most respects, but I did like one thing about them. EVERYONE in Xanth had powers, but that doesn't mean that those powers were useful. For instance, there were some people who could make a purplish spot appear on the wall, and that was it.

OK, sidetrack over, carry on.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Forgive me for the continual hijack, but following in that vein I gotta add...

Matter Eater Lad. Seriously. Was his nemesis Tums? Pepcid? (And didn't he die by eating a black hole or something? The thing is, Matter Eater Lad could be a really cool concept for a sci-fi horror story.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one line from a list of Bart Simpson's Biggest Beefs: Years of exposure to radiation, but no cool superpowers...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

Not that I'm addicted to this humor site or anything, but since it is so on topic to the "why does radiation always seem to be awesome in comics" question:

http://www.cracked.com/article_15049_marvel-comics-vs-science-5-most-absurd-superhero-origins.html

Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember one line from a list of Bart Simpson's Biggest Beefs: Years of exposure to radiation, but no cool superpowers...

I guess the ability to glow in the dark doesn't count

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Let me first say that I am not offended at all by the fun often poked at comic books. It is well-deserved. However, in my view, these books actually serve a very healthy purpose in out times. Comic book superheros represent a form of modern mythology. Though society has abandoned the belief in multiple gods and larger-than-life heroes, there is still a craving for morally superior beings, justice that surpasses an inadequate legal system, and the fantastic. Comic books serve this need and have used whatever seasoning of science they can sprinkle on the stories to give them the taste of believability. It is an iteresting blend of science fiction and fantasy, and I dare say they are often just as believable as many of the things I have read in either genre.
steffenwolf
Member # 8250

philocinemas, I agree.
I love superheroes and comic books. I'm poking fun at them as a fan.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.