Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » MIA?

Author Topic: MIA?
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here have recent experiences with short story markets that have, for lack of a better description, fallen off the face of the Earth and/or cyberspace?

One of my short stories, "Trophic Decrescendo," has been with Sfzine.org since mid February. I know they were slightly delayed in launching their debut, but finally got going in early March. However, they've only posted two podcasts since then, and not another one since March 30. I emailed them earlier this week, stating that, if they were still in existence, I'd still like my story up for consideration, but I've not heard back. I know our own monstewer sold a story to them.

As it just so happens, Sfzine.org has "Trophic Decrescendo" because I withdrew it from another market, New Genre, after 136 days and two follow-up emails worth of no responses.

Is this a conspiracy to keep "Trophic Decrescendo" from selling or does anybody know anything about either of these publications?

Thanx in advance!

S!
S!

[This message has been edited by Crank (edited June 11, 2009).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'd all but given up on ever hearing the podcast of "The Forgotten", though I have been paid for it. Apparently a writing friend contacted the editor of sfzine.org last week and asked if he was still going ahead. He replied after a couple of days saying they'd had an illness in the family (he runs with it with his wife I think) and they should be back on track soon.

So don't give up on the story just yet

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I think it's apparent that "Trophic Decrescendo" is cursed and we must flee from it!

Betcha it weighs less than a duck.

It's a witch! Burn it, burn it!

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
"BRING OUT YOUR DEAD!"
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
It took a year and 100 days before I heard on one to Sniplits. I have another that just passed the year mark to Transmitter magazine. They have a sight still but nothing on submissions or fiction. Anyone know what happened to that place?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
because I withdrew it from another market, New Genre, after 136 days and two follow-up emails worth of no responses.

You may find it interesting to submit your experience to this response times site. On that page, for example, the minimum response time from New Genres was greater than 200 days.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Ralan.com announced Transmitter dead as of 20 May, 2008.

I've had a story at New Genre since the end of December, however, they are notorious for their slow response times.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks spaceman.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.