Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Being "stuck" and losing hope or getting too cynical? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Being "stuck" and losing hope or getting too cynical?
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to call this the Robert Nowall thread, but decided it wouldn't be appropriate to dime Robert out in a thread title -- though Robert is specifically on my mind as I write this.

Cynicism is an unfortunate and seductive retreat, once the rejections pile up past a certain point. Especially if you're piling up rejections on the one hand, and reading what you consider to be crap from the pros on the other. I just finished the majority of an issue of a certain (intentionally name ommited) market, and I had to admit that I too thought the bulk of what was in it was sub-standard. Plot holes, lack of plot, confusing or contradictory character motivation, stories lacking sufficient endings, and so forth.

It would be nice if the pro-SFWA-rate markets got it right all the time, but as in television and movies, not all stories suit all tastes, and even the major networks and movie companies churn out a significant number of duds, for all kinds of reasons which aren't really worth worrying about.

I don't know that I have a magic bullet for cynicism and/or being marooned at a certain sub-professional level, other than to cite my own experience. There have been several times in the last 17 years when I've wanted to just throw up my hands and conclude it was a fruitless and awful waste of time, but I could never quite do it. What I did do -- with spousal encouragement and a little fire-under-the-butt talk -- was look for ways to get outside my comfort zone.

For instance, switching viewpoint, from 3rd person to 1st person. I'd noticed that lots of short work was being written in 1st person, and while this "voice" was awesomely awkward for me at first -- because I was so used to reading novels which are very often 3rd person -- I made myself to do it, and after a try or three I felt almost liberated because writing 1st person allowed me to bring an immediacy to the story and the character that I'd never been able to effect before.

I also noticed that lots of stuff being published really did hurl a reader directly into the middle of the story. Much of my inventory (aka: "The Practice Papers") spends a great deal of time on set-up and explanation and world-building. So since 2008 I've made a concerted effort to chop the fronts off of my stories, pick and choose the salient data to layer into the later text, and search for the point at which the critical **CHANGE** takes place -- because the **CHANGE** is also always where the story starts.

As with switching viewpoint, it was awkward and I still don't think I am thoroughly comfortable with how abrupt my story beginnings have become, but I do think the proof is in the pudding: I've managed to lure at least a few editorial eyes to their doom (rubs handlebar mustache while observing publishing contracts lashed to the railroad tracks) and I am both nervous and anticipatory, regarding reader reception. There is every reason to suspect my stories, too, will come across as the "crap" so many see in print these days.

Back to my point, about going outside the comfort zone: I think a lot of us also get into the habit of writing "familiar" stories that are always about a given thing: space stations, robots, monsters, urban elves, urban anything, etc. If you're "stuck" and feeling worn down and tired by it all, I propose that you're quickest fix would be to go in a totally new direction and tackle a totally new aspect of your chosen genre. Adore outer-space adventure of the far future? Try writing a couple of near-future, Earth-based stories. Or vice versa. Prefer fantasy alone? Try some SF. Even if it's just to get out of the "room" you've been in too long, go outside and get some fresh "air" and get some different exercise.

And as mentioned in another thread, don't limit yourself to five markets or less. SF and F has dozens of available markets -- if you don't rely simply on The Big Three -- and a story that skips across the pond five or ten times, might score on the next try. You won't know if you trunk the story in discouragement.

My rule for trunking is not whether or not a story has been rejected, but whether or not I've progressed far enough away from it in ability and time to see it with more objective eyes, and I can tell what it's problems are. I can think of one of my stories right now that I wrote in 2008 and liked very much, but it has not sold and when I re-read it, I realize it's basically a first chapter to a novel, not a complete short work, so I may expand it into a novella or I might mine it for the core character, and try an entirely new story from scratch.

Finally, extra sets of critical eyes can always been useful. Not everyone is equally capable of giving good feedback, but it can be useful to identify a body or bodies whose opinions do seem valuable, and have them look at your stuff once in awhile. Better still, when reading **ANY** fiction, pro or aspirant level, if you find yourself not liking something, identify **WHY** you don't like it, and remember this next time you write something on your own. You might be surprised to discover that what drives you nuts in others' stories, you are unconsciously doing in your own.

These are just some of the ideas and things which have worked for me, and helped jump me from unpublished aspirant to baby SF author. I have a whole new mountain range of challenges ahead of me, and the work seems to have begun anew all over again -- yikes! -- but I don't think anyone is doomed to stay "stuck" forever, unless they simply refuse to go outside their comfort zone.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have yet to throw in the towel after thirty-five years of effort, I must assume that some hope remains in me...I have simply run through some options and have discarded others, while analyzing the steps in the whole process with a critical eye.

I can separate it in two ways: "things I'm still willing to do" and "things I'm no longer willing to do."

Some of you have seen some of my arguments here and there on the boards: small things like notions about appropriate typeface...bigger things like web publication...form letter rejection...merits of Internet Fan Fiction over the whole process...whether one should take anybody's word about the worth of the work as gospel, much less the word of an editor.

But it's late in my day now---up twenty-plus hours at the moment, and I'll have to come back and frame an appropriate reply, especially after I see if anybody else has said anything.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A good night's sleep, and a certain crystallization of my thoughts on the matter, does give me a little more insight to put my thoughts down.

You regular readers know some of the things about the process and nature of submission that I've dealt with over the years. The abovementioned typeface issue...why I don't submit to Writers of the Future...the low rates of payment...well, there are thousands of things for me to complain about. Some weigh lightly on me, some weigh heavy. Some objections involve issues far removed from the notion of submission.

I freely admit, from the beginning of my writing career up to a certain point, my submitted works and my writing were cruddy. But, over time, my writing stopped being cruddy, and I expected to walk through that door---only I find further barriers in my way, whether it's the petty stuff as above or further info about precisely why my story is no good and isn't being bought by them.

(Internet Fan Fiction was a liberating experience. I actually found out that people read what I wrote---and also found out that a lot of 'em liked what I wrote, too.)

And in this long experience, I've found that I've reached a point where, as is sometimes said, I'm expected to "crawl on my belly and eat dirt" in order to obtain the questionable experience of being published (and maybe being paid). I won't do it anymore.

But that's all about me, which I can reply to immediately---a more general discussion, which is called for, will take more info---and more participants. I've bared my soul, guys---well, kind of---so it's time for others to step up to the plate.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, if I may ask, why specifically do you not submit to Writers of the Future?
Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am new to the forums and certainly have not been writing as long as you have. I would inquire if you have participated in writing groups. By this I do not obviously mean writing groups on the internet, since you are here.
I may sound like a newbie stating things you probably already know, but at least for me, the writing process is 80% revision of the other 20%, which is getting the first draft down. Thus, flesh and blood writing groups are so very important for my process. You learn what works, what doesn't and revise accordingly. I compare it to software testing, in which your first draft is the "alpha" phase of the software production cycle, after which it is opened up to more people who offer their feedback. Once you have arrived at the point where the feedback is mostly positive and revisions minimal, I think you are ready to send the story to market.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited July 27, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Osiris,

I used to do an in-person group back when I lived in Seattle, around 2002. It was beneficial, for a time. One thing I suggest about groups of any sort, try to get involved with one where at least a few people are further down the road than you are. Groups where everyone is at your level, or lower, might not help that much because the feedback you get might not always be reliable.

Perhaps even more valuable than a writing group, is having what is commonly referred to as an Alpha Reader: a very trusted person, could be a writer or could be just a very good reader, who knows what you write and how you write and can offer specific feedback about your stories; what works and does not work, etc.

I've got a couple of people I show things to from time to time, but to be honest, I am flying solo on most efforts right now. In fact, my WOTF winner didn't go through any critique at all: I sent it in cold, right off my word processor. Some times it's not always necessary to get critiques and revise based on feedback, though this can be instructive.

One thing you might consider: stagger your stories. Don't run them all through the critique process, just every other story. Learn to trust feedback, but also try to learn to trust your own instincts at the same time. Turn off the targetting computer, as it were. Dependency upon critiques -- being unable to write without them -- isn't necessarily the objective of the process. So going solo some of the time is very healthy IMHO.

Osiris, a quick question: when you say 80% of your work is revision, how much time (guesstimate) do you spend on actual creation of the story in the first place? Over-revision can be harmful, and if you're spending too much time on your re-writes you might be doing more harm than good.

[This message has been edited by Brad R Torgersen (edited July 27, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Why don't I submit to Writers of the Future?

Brief answer: it's the Scientology connection.

Somewhat longer answer: though they seem actively interested in encouraging new talent in the SF field, I simply don't trust their backers. I used to submit to them, back in, oh, the mid-nineties...my distrust was there---I think I've always felt this way about them, once I learned they existed---and I decided, "Okay, I'll submit...but if I start, say, getting junk mail from Scientology I'd call it quits and stop." (They had this thing in those days where they didn't return the first page of the MS, the one with one's name and address.) I did get junk mail from Scientology, and I did stop submitting.

This is not to be construed as just mistrust of one religious cult. I'm leery of The Washington Times, a conservative newspaper, because of its financial arrangements with another religious cult, Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church---even though, content-wise, it's something right up my current reading habits.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oh, yeah. The above rant about Writers of the Future is a little off-the-main-point of the role of cynicism in one's willingness to submit to market.
Osiris
Member # 9196

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the response. I definitely agree with trying to find a group with individuals more advanced than ones self. I have been part of groups where most were less advanced or less serious, and I stopped going to those groups. The group I run is new so its hard to say where the other writers are right now. Time will tell.
I'll admit I have some pretty ambitious ideas about wanting to get published, but I'm sure once the rejection letters start piling up that'll be beaten out of me
I have heard about the "alpha reader" and I think some people are fortunate enough to have an editor as one. I'm still looking for that person. I definitely don't treat all feedback like its equal, though.
Thats an interesting suggestion about staggering stories. I may do it at some point, but my philosophy is that I weigh the feedback I get. If its just one person saying something, its an opinion, but if its several saying something, then It should be seriously weighed against my own instincts. Thats how I approach feedback.

To answer your question, my process is to let an idea percolate in my mind for days or even weeks sometimes. This helps get me into the world or story I am creating. I then put it down on paper as a first draft, sometimes outlining sometimes not. The piece I am currently trying to publish (not sci-fi but actually a personal narrative) I spent I'd say 30 hours or so revising and 10 writing. Hard to say since I don't really time these things. I do feel that the pieces I work on now I spend less time revising because I learned from my mistakes.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, do you really equate being asked to use a particular typeface with "being told to crawl on your belly and eat dirt"? That's one way to interpret your post and it kind of takes Merlion's point abotu "not compromising one's art" to extremes...
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
In my case I find fatigue and being a drama queen are what most often get me stuck for months at a time.

Fatigue is my corollary to writing-as-an-obsession. I write in all my spare time, go to sleep thinking through plot structure and looking for holes, and have character outlines scrolling through the back of my eyes when I'm on the bus. All while retaining a day job and managing small children. Eventually it takes a toll, and for want of a better term I burn out.

The thing that amplifies the burnout is being a drama queen - something I think writers are generally prone to anyway - which causes me to take feeling burned out and reinterpret it as I'm a total failure, logic notwithstanding.

For this reason I'm coming to the realisation that I need to recognise these issues and plan for them. By which I mean - (a) write, then take a holiday, and (b) ignore the dark whispering voices.

I think the biggest contributor to negativity amongst new writers is well established career writers who spout advice that is only applicable to them. Things like keep writing, or you shouldn't have to revise. Frankly, new writers are going to suck: they're still learning technique and need to revise in order to learn how to write better. And new writers aren't career writers - I can't take advice from a career writer who has no children and writes for a living, and apply it to my 11 hour work day and two crying preschoolers.

Lastly - and this is also a new discovery for me - get a hobby. Like, not writing. If you want to go pro with writing, then writing isn't going to be 'fun', it's going to be 'work'. So have something you can retreat to once in a while for a lark. It helps the ol' brain cope, methinks.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think dealing with rejection is an important part in not feeling like you are stuck or have lost hope. I don't care who you are, every rejection is a tiny knife (sometimes a BIG knife) through the heart.

I think that is one of the reasons I'll submit three or four stories that I like and then don't submit for quite a while. My big excuse is I like novel writing better, and I do, but short stories are, in my opinion, the quickest way to hone your craft.

I participate in another site's story challenges and I write all kinds of stuff within my comfort zone and outside of my comfort zone. It's important to experiment and I think that helps to keep things fresh.

I found myself getting down a few weeks ago and had to pick myself up. I did it with the next WotF story. WotF is a great destination for stories that get out of hand and too large to submit to a market. (has to be one you think a lot of, in any case).

That's my two cents. Persistence, a thick skin and maintaining a liking for what you write.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my second rejection (second submission, by the way), so I can hardly say I'm stuck or getting cynical. I expect rejections. Don't much like the two I got, but it goes with the territory. My first submitted story was 20,000 words. I like it, but it was too long and apparently too flawed to publish. My second was 9,000 words. I liked it as well, but IGMS passed on it. My fear is that maybe I'm too enamored with my work, that I'm not getting down on the page what I see in my own mind. I love to let the stories tumble out. It's when I have to monkey with them that much of fun ends and the work begins. Something I really need to work on!
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Anderson, you might be interested in reading Ben Bova's The Craft of Writing Science Fiction That Sells. I found it quite useful. As I mentioned earlier, and I believe Bova's book supports this idea, that the hard work of revision is what makes a story succeed. Its the tough choices that force us to perform surgery on a piece that ultimately make it better. I learned a rule called the "Rule of 24" (not from Bova's book but from Writer's Digest). The rule states you should step away from your work for at least 24 hours so that you can get objective about it. Then you'll be able to identify what doesn't work and cut it out.

I have some works that look completely different than the first draft, and in each case I am certain the last version is far superior to the first.

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

The Scientology connection is what kept me from submitting to WOTF through the 90's and much of the 00's as well, but when the Strange New Worlds anthology stopped and a few of us SNW submitters were mulling over which anthology to begin submitting to as a replacement for SNW, Dean Smith suggested WOTF. When a few of us voiced our concerns about Scientology, Dean said something that really got me thinking.

He said, "Look at all the many, many, many professional SF and F writers involved in WOTF, from judges to people who have published in the anthology and gone on to have careers -- none of whom are Scientologists -- and explain to me why you as Aspirant Writer should have a problem with the Contest, and all these pros do not?"

I had to admit, Dean made a great point. Why exactly had I been so hesitant for all those years? Especially when I had local Utah people like Dave Wolverton, Eric James Stone, L.E. Modesitt, Jr., and so forth, lauding the Contest and not saying a word about the Scientology aspect?

It is true that WOTF is focused -- as a legacy memorial -- on L. Ron Hubbard, and I suppose for some people the L. Ron Hubbard connection is too close to Scientology, and they won't be able to get past that. Me? I went with Dean's logic: all the judges and all the writers who were participating, couldn't all be wrong. And it would be rather dumb of me to let nebulous, perhaps even unfairly biased feelings stop me from sending work to what was, ostensibly, a very lucrative and nationally-prestigious venue.

So I began sending work to them in Fall of 2007, and continued to send through 2008 and 2009. Now that I am a winner, I'm mighty glad I put any misgivings aside. It's going to be a terrific week down in Los Angeles next month, and I do think being able to claim a WOTF publication in my cover letter has helped get me out of the first-line slush and bumped me up to second-line closer-look slush at the pro markets.

Also, I've seen one or two notoriously cranky, small-time genre editors/writers -- people I personally do not like because they're most often deliberate ***holes about a lot of things -- badmouth WOTF. Well, I'm enough of a contrarian that if WOTF is given short shrift by these few people, then by golly that's an enterprise I'm proud to be part of! Perhaps that's petty on my part, but that's how I feel.

andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osiris. I'll look it up.
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Compromising one's art is one thing. Submitting to markets that pay very little and offer very little, that make strange and weird demands like what typeface to use or what paper stock to print on, are asking too much. Often, too, reasons for these things are never offered.

In so-called "real life," in the job that pays me money, I have to put up with a lot of weird and pointless things whose purposes and existence are often never explained. I carry on with this for the sake of getting that money---often not without argument, given the nature of some of these things.

I see no reason to put up with something like that for the sake of a job that pays me nothing.

That so many SF writers and editors are involved with Writers of the Future only alarms me more---I see it as "being co-opted" or "being corrupted" or "being compromised." Think of it as like going to a Bund rally in the 1930s and then being kept out of O. C. S. when World War II rolled around. I don't propose to be compromised in this way.

One thing, maybe the "ultimate deal-breaker" on all this, is the submission process itself. I send in a manuscript---neatly printed in Times New Roman, which is perfectly readable---and a couple of weeks later I get it back, with a form rejection slip that tells me nothing about why my manuscript was rejected.

Now, I know full well that the markets get hundreds or thousands of manuscripts each month. I know they say they can't possibly send a personal response for each MS because of the volume they deal with. (More on that below.)

But I can't overlook the fact that said process tells me nothing. I'm submitting, and being rejected, in a total vacuum. I see no reason to accept that situation with good grace---it's too much like "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

It's not as if no market has made an effort. It can be done. When Asimov's was edited by the late George Scithers, the staff provided short notes about what was wrong with the rejected story. I found this useful---some of their comments resonate in my work to this day. Other markets have tried, with notes or checklists or letters or such.

But, right now, at least among the Big Three of the SF short story market, they don't. I can't remember the last time I got something that said something about what I've written. The last few times, Analog and [/i]Asimov's[/i] sent a note that looks photocopied, and F & SF sends a computer-generated note that at least includes your name and the title of your story. But neither routinely say anything to the struggling writer.

What am I to make of that?

skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Times New Roman is not considered an acceptable font by most venues as the letters are all different sizes. Most places want Courier because the letters are all the same size and therefore judging the word count by number of pages becomes easier...but what am I saying?

I think it would be great if people don't compromise their values by submitting to venues they feel aren't suitable for one reason or another--it's their right. In fact, I would go so far as to say it would be even better if people developed and refined their personal values so as to exclude even more venues. Also, it would be fantastic, if you do find a venue you feel comfortable with, that you ignore the submission guidelines as much as possible.

Well, it would be fantastic for me...

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few pro-paying markets that do routinely offer at least some feedback. Beneath Ceaseless Skies comes to mind. Check out Duotrope and try some of those markets, instead. Even if your goal is to get into the big three, sometimes we have to break it down into bites we can chew.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not as if no market has made an effort. It can be done. When Asimov's was edited by the late George Scithers, the staff provided short notes about what was wrong with the rejected story. I found this useful---some of their comments resonate in my work to this day. Other markets have tried, with notes or checklists or letters or such.

But, right now, at least among the Big Three of the SF short story market, they don't. I can't remember the last time I got something that said something about what I've written. The last few times, Analog and Asimov's sent a note that looks photocopied, and F & SF sends a computer-generated note that at least includes your name and the title of your story. But neither routinely say anything to the struggling writer.

What am I to make of that?

That they just don't have the time?

Forget what happened in the past. The past is another country: they do things differently there. You're basically saying "if they are not prepared to help me write the stories they want, then what can I do?", but it is not their job to do that. It is their job to select stories that they believe will entertain their readership and thus maintain sales of the magazine (it's a side argument, albeit a valid one, whther they are doing that job well or not), and if they receive sufficient stories that meet their needs why should they take time - everyone's most precious commodity - to actually then make their job more difficult, by receiving more strong pieces?

And your stout adherence to Times New Roman on the grounds tthat it's "perfectly readable" just makes me want to tear my hair out (though as I don't really have any, that's tricky). Control-A selects the entire document. One drop-down menu option click changes it to Courier. That's all it would take to meet their desires. It doesn't matter why they want it that way (it may be historical aberration, but there certainly were good, very good, reasons for Courier in pre-computer days).

If you've spent a hundred hours writing what you think is a great story, why would you not spend the extra minute to present it in the format that a market requests? Why take the risk that they will look at it, see immediately that it doesn't meet their formatting requirements, and reject it out of hand? It doesn't matter whether or not you know what their reasons are for their particular formatting requirements (though it is a damn sight easier to mark up double-spaced Courier than single-spaced Times New Roman, as I know from scribbling my own revisions on printouts). It may well matter to them that "here is a person who appears to be unable or unwilling to follow simple instructions so why should we want to work with this person?".

I don't expect you to be swayed remotely by my arguments. I just hope to make others think about the subject.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I have to just echo what people are saying about font here. There IS a reason that they want certain fonts. They have a business end of things that requires them to make estimates as to how many pages your book or story will take up. Font does effect their estimates.

What separates more than anything else published from unpublished writers is whether or not they can grasp the business side of the industry. That means not being a stolidly standing by relatively inconsequential principles such as font type, not mourning over every rejection letter, and being willing to let your work be edited to some extent.

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Robert,

I fear you've allowed yourself to become emotionally wrapped around the "process" axle when what you should probably be focusing on 99% is the craft aspect of your work.

The whole point of conforming to a given format, is to have the physical manuscript itself become "transparent" to editorial eyes, thus only your STORY itself will matter during reading. Anything physically odd or out of the ordinary about the manuscript is a potential distraction, and distractions increase the chances of rejection by a huge factor.

Standard Manuscript Format, as commonly demonstrated by William Shunn and Vonda McIntyre, is the industry standard. Writers have been warned for decades that straying from SMF -- for any reason, however noble or well-intentioned -- is to invite failure. How will you know your stories are even the things being rejected, if your format is what's really failing?

As for non-personal form rejections, they are simply a necessary evil given the size of the slush at any given market. And if your manuscripts are failing at the format level -- long before the story even gets read by an editor -- why would they bother to send anything other than a form rejection? By ignoring SMF you have demonstrated to these editors that you're not "serious" about your work, so they will give you the lowest common denominator rejection, nothing more.

The awful truth is that editors don't owe you a personalized explanation as to why you got rejected. In a perfect world, all of our stories would get a personalized and detailed rejection every time. Alas, this is not a perfect world. And nobody ever said that the writing 'game' would be fair, with rules and expectations followed by all. Publishing is a weird, imperfect world. You can either accept the weirdness and imperfection, and roll with it, or you can stand stalwartly athwart the weirdness and imperfection, yelling, "STOP!"...... and remain unpublished in defiant obscurity.

Robert, I have read some of your work at your web site. You are not a bad writer. I think your craft needs some punching up, like all of us, but you are not a bad writer. I suspect your disrespect for SMF, combined with refusal to "lower" yourself to playing the rejection letter game with the markets, is killing you -- long before your stories are read by anyone.

Now, you can stand behind integrity as an excuse, but I suspect that's all it really is: an excuse. I am going to propose that you're mature and advanced enough to step out from behind the excuse, forget the past -- as has been suggested by others -- and try to come at this with a fresh mind and fresh approach.

I know it's hard to break old habits and change your mind, and I know it's seductive: to just pawn off the many rejections and failures on the "broken" publishing system.

But trust me, as someone who has spent a good amount of time fumbling around in that "broken" system, and has found ways to make it work for him, I believe you owe it to yourself and your writing to swallow a bit of pride, clean your head out -- of egotistic ideas regarding artistic compromise -- and get back to basics. Use SMF on all submissions. Use Courier-type font. Aim for "transparent" physical presentation so that your STORY can sing. Fear no pro-paying market, whatever the guidelines might say. SMF is accepted everywhere.

Meanwhile, your comment about WOTF and "co-opting" didn't make any sense to me. Corruption? Still didn't make any sense. Are you saying that everyone who judges for WOTF or who is published in the anthology is 'corrupted' by the Contest? In what way? How is this demonstrated? The only factual evidence available suggests that WOTF is a yearly springboard for writing careers, with numerous names emerging from the anthology. Judges are among the top names in SF and F today. Larry Niven? Dave Wolverton? Jerry Pournelle? These are not gullible types, nor are they the sorts of writers who delight in leading newcomers down the wrong path.

Speaking for myself, once I put my nebulous and biased preconceptions about the Contest aside, entering the Contest was a no-brainer. And, as it turned out, it was a great move for my long-suffering writing career. I am damned glad I did it, and I am damned glad Dean Smith politely smacked me upside my head about some of the silly misgivings I was having about entering.

[This message has been edited by Brad R Torgersen (edited July 28, 2010).]

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

quote:
...That means not being a stolidly standing by relatively inconsequential principles such as font type, not mourning over every rejection letter, and being willing to let your work be edited to some extent.

I like what Osiris said here, about inconsequential principles.

Additional thoughts...

The publishing world is strange, but it is also not a prankster system run by pranksters. This is not a world whose purpose is to make you angry, look dumb, or run you around in circles. Editors and publishers are in BUSINESS and there are realities about BUSINESS that preclude the kind of pranksterish gamesmanship that some writers attribute to it. Once in awhile an editor or a publisher might be guilty of being dishonest or deliberately screwing with writers, but those people either learn better, or get sued, or simply go out of the field because their house fails, or they get fired. Ergo, bad business practitioners tend to be self-eliminating.

But why make all kinds of inferences and assumptions about the supposedly not-honest motives and operational habits of editors and publishers at all?

Professional editors don't ask for much. All they want is for you to write the best story you're capable of writing at this time, and to turn that story in to them in the established industry-standard format; with occasional caveats for market-specific guidelines.

You don't have to jump through hoops, go to ridiculous or stupid extremes, nor do you necessarily have to be an "insider" with gnostic connections to the publishing cognoscenti -- though knowing people does tend to help eventually, assuming you also make an effort to get out and meet a few editors and other writers, and don't maroon yourself in a cave of artistic solitude.

Again, the temptation will be great: to assume that the system is rigged, publishers and editors are fickle, backhanded operators who delight in confusing and/or insulting writers, and that this "broken" state of affairs is what's keeping your otherwise excellent prose from reaching an audience.

But if you've reached the point where you're inventing such theories to explain your rejections and failure, it's time to do a little shaving with Occam's Razor: the simpler explanation is that you're just failing on a craft or format level. Editors aren't rejecting you because they're mean, it's because your story is good and doesn't suit their taste, or the story suffers one or more failures at the craft level, or the story never even got read because of failure at the format level.

To read minds and create ulterior objectives in the hearts and minds of editors and publishers, is to brush the edge of paranoia and/or conspiracy theory.

johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my datapoint on WOTF.

I won a first prize, I attended the workshop and awards banquet, and this was in 1996-97, and I have NEVER received one word of communication about Scientology from that time to this. Nor have I ever heard of anyone receiving any solicitations in the mail or by phone of ANY kind until Robert's post above. And there have been thousands and thousands and thousands of entries into the contest. In fact, while I was at the workshop I purposely asked a volunteer, who was a Scientologist, about Scientology because I'm a curious guy. It was just me and the volunteer--she was taking me to a convenience store. She wouldn't answer any of my questions, but politely steered the conversation to other topics. They were being extremely careful NOT to inject any of that into the contest.

BTW, the first page is stripped so that the judges are blind to who the author is, not to put you in their marketing database. So it's possible someone got Robert's address off of the submission, but it's equally possible this was simply a coincidence. Who knows? Maybe the Scientology folks purchased an advertising list with his name on it. From my experience, I tend to believe the latter or some other explanation. The WOTF folks have been nothing but gracious every time I've had any dealing with them. And the workshop and $2,000 payment for the story was nice too. I personally hope the contest goes another 100 years.

And in lending my endorsement, I'm not being co-opted by Nazi masterminds or filthy lucre, turning a blind eye to nefarious recruitment or brain-washing practices. The reason why so many independent-minded authors and editors are associated with the contest is because there is NO Scientology involved. It's not a proselyting scheme targeting aspiring authors. It's simply one of the best dang contests out there. Especially for new writers. And it's been that for 25 years.

[This message has been edited by johnbrown (edited July 28, 2010).]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Hear hear.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
it's time to do a little shaving with Occam's Razor

Brad, you just invoked one of my favorite principle of all time. In fact I reference it in the current story I'm working on.

I have learned to take note when you post, I always either learn something new or am heartened to see my attitudes on writing shared by another who has achieved some success.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I have simply decided, after all these years, that there are limits to what I will put up with. Typeface may be a small issue, compared with the circulation of these magazines and the rates they pay relative to their price...but it does bug me and that's good enough reason to not submit.

When they're waving a check, and saying they want to see it in a different typeface...then we can talk.

That the George Scithers-edited Asimov's handled rejections proves that it can be done---and that the editors of today are not doing it, for whatever reason or reasons---are they lazy?

Take another example---that nearly all SF novel publishers want novels submitted through an agent---and if that isn't laziness, I don't know what is.

I would be willing to let my work be edited by someone else if someone else is willing to pay for the privilege. I have had no offers.

I believe I have also followed "the routine" of submission. After a few lapses in the early years of my career, I pretty much stick to it. Here it is, as follows.

After finishing a story to my satisfaction, I print up a copy. I type up address labels for two big manila envelopes---one to send the manuscript to the market, and the other for the market to return the manuscript. I then put postage on both envelopes, put the manuscript and the return envelope in the send-envelope, then drop them in the drop slot at the post office where I have a P. O. box.

I send no notes or letters; I write nothing on the MS or envelope. I have no personal connections at these markets, and, though I am not fond of them because of previous rejections, I do not share this with them. I do not write nasty notes to them, complaining about my work being rejected. If I have some need to communicate something to the editors at the market in question, I'll send it separately.

And in this process, I see no reason why the hell the typeface the MS is in should make any difference! Times New Roman is the default setting on my computer...what's good enough for that industry, and, from what I see, every other industry, should be good enough for the publishing industry.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

That's a bit like saying "brake oil is good enough for the car industry, so it should be fine for fast food restaurants to cook with".

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Robert, I understand you're kind of threadbare at this point. Anyone would be, after 30 years of seeming futility. I believe I understand you on this perhaps better than anyone else on this board. Unless anyone else can claim 16+ years without success, before finally breaking in?

I also detect not just a little contempt for the markets you potentially submit to. Again understandable if all you've ever gotten is faceless form rejections. The markets must seem mysteriously hostile, cold, implacable things to you? I sympathize with this feeling because I have often felt something similar.

Where you and I part ways is that your contempt for the markets appears to have bred a degree of contempt for the process overall, such that you're feeling offended by even minor aspects of standardization that don't jive with your personal preferences; a bit like if a Mad Men secretary refused to type up memos for Sterling Cooper because she prefers a red IBM Selectric, and they gave her a blue IBM Selectric.

Given your statements along these lines, I'm going to politely -- but very firmly -- suggest that it's long past time that you took several steps back from the entire project -- your writing for publication -- and considered the ways in which you yourself are getting in your own way. Because you are getting in your own way, make no mistake about it, and as long as you keep standing in your own way, I am afraid I must conclude that you are your own worst enemy. No wonder you've experienced so many years without progress.

Typeface
I used to use Times New Roman all the time, and wondered why I always got form rejections. Switching to Courier 12-point, and later Dark Courier 12-point, was a very small change which seems to have paid big dividends. Again, reference the SMF articles and examples by Shunn and McIntyre. Clinging to typeface, especially on artistic or personal pique grounds, is an awesomely self-limiting thing to do. See my Mad Men analogy above.

Cover Letters
It appears(?) you don't use a cover letter? Some editors don't want them, but as a way of demonstrating professionalism, I think cover letters can be a plus. They don't have to be wordy. In fact, the less wordy they are, especially since you have no pro credits, the better they will be. But a cover letter preceeding your manuscript is an introductory overture, like shaking hands. It's a way of introducing yourself to an editor and your lack of a cover letter -- like your refusal to adopt SMF -- could explain much about your rejections. Your cover letter is your "hello" to the editor, and refusing or forgetting to say 'hello' can hurt you.

Agents
This is the one area where I agree with you, in that the current agent-to-editor model is a BUSINESS -- not format, not craft -- dysfunctional model, and I don't care for it much either. My recent experience submitting novel packages to the Houses tells me that most of the Houses have re-opened their internal slush, somewhat on the down-low, and that you're violating no rules by submitting to the Houses directly. Form rejections may state they don't take unsolicited, unagented fiction, but as one of my rejections noted -- in a hand-written paragraph on just such a form -- if an editor thinks your work is promising, he or she will say so, and ask for more. Guidelines on the form rejections be damned.

But....
This does not excuse you from needing to adhere to more general rules of SMF. You still have to include a SASE -- whether its a novel submission or a story submission to a short market -- and in fact I am betting if you're sending out full-sized envelopes for full return of the MS you're creating more work for the editor than is necessary. You don't need your MS returned at all. Simply mark on your cover letter and on the first page of the manuscript -- DISPOSABLE MANUSCRIPT -- and include a business #10 envelope for their reply. They will send rejections and acceptances both this way, and it's a lot less toil for the editor. Yes, you have to re-print the story every time, but given the shrinking number of paper-sub markets, printing costs are minimal, and can be made up for on postage simply sending a single-stamped #10 SASE.

On matters of ego and expectation...
Again, I detect a degree of contempt on your part for the editors. Your pride seems to be talking here. All well and good if you never really want to get published. Hate the editors and the houses until the cows come home, it won't matter to them one bit because there are ten thousand other aspirant writers to replace you. Tilting at editorial windmills is a game for the foolish. You say editors are lazy, I say I sometimes agree, but whether or not editors are lazy is besides the point. Your stubborness will not change their habits. A truly "lazy" editor is an editor who will shortly be looking for a job, because the Houses need product and a lazy editor cannot find and procure quality product fast enough for the demand, hence a pink slip is in order. More probably the editors are just too damned busy to worry about whether a certain aspirant author demands a certain amount of coddling, above and beyond the ten thousands other authors jockeying for attention, so they move on without batting an eyelash. Bestselling blockbuster authors get special treatment, not aspirants. And sometimes, even the blockbusters have to follow 'stupid' rules and expectations. It's part of the business, as Osiris has noted. If you're hung up at this low level, how will you do when you have to deal with rules and expectations at a higher level?

The Bottom line:
Get out of your own way. Get your ego and your pride out of the picture. Find a way to take the decades of frustration and anger and futility, and flush those out to sea. Your resentment and your jaundice are your #1 obstacle right now, and if you continue to placate yourself in this regard you will continue to experience frustration and will not enjoy the experience. I almost went down the road you're on now. Almost. I almost let myself lapse into cynicism and take up small chips on my shoulder, over various aspects of process. It would be easy to conclude the editors are jerks and publishing is a sham racket. However, these are just distractions and excuses that allow us -- all of us -- to not have to grow beyond our own limitations. Every time we blame the system and form an excuse, we stunt ourselves. I believe this firmly, and I am afraid you will remain stunted unless you can find a way to emotionally get over the past, get over your picayune quibbling with certain aspects of process and certain market realities, and focus on craft and conforming to SMF modes.

[This message has been edited by Brad R Torgersen (edited July 29, 2010).]

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Osiris, thank you, that is a kind compliment.

Oh, and I do hope people are paying attention to John Brown's comments above. He's currently completing an excellent fantasy trilogy for TOR Books, and I think what he said about Writers of the Future is important -- if anyone still has any misgivings about the Contest and its connection to either the Hubbard estate, or Scientology.

Everything I've ever heard indicates that the Contest, while understably indebted to and praising of Hubbard the SF writer, takes pains to distance itself from Scientology. In the months since I found out I won, not a single Contest representative nor Scientology representative has approached me, called me, e-mailed me, etc, regarding Scientology. Period. Nor has anyone spoken with or contacted my family. If the Contest is a 'front' operation for the Church, as a tool of proselytizing, I find it curious that Brown and others have had zero experience with anyone trying to get them into the Church. Nor have I.

I therefore conclude, again, that my own misgivings early on were unfounded, I am glad I got over them, and I am looking forward next month to going to Los Angeles and partaking in the workshop and receiving my contributors copies of the volume, and being able to point forever after to the Contest and say that I, like so many before me, got my start with Writers of the Future.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, why don't you just pull out the old Royal, get some new ribbons, set it on pica, and go at it - that should make everybody happy.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies - if they want 12-sized font, you will need to go with elite.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Did that last month---my Smith Corona Galaxie, which, incidentally, has twelve-point elite type.

Way back when, the powers-that-be insisted that cover letters were unprofessional. All I could say in it is "here is the story," and, if I remembered to put the story in the envelope, they already know that.

quote:
...more work for the editor than is necessary....

Something I have to live with every day at where I work are large numbers of people who (1) don't do their jobs properly, and (2) make more work for me in the process. For something that's more-or-less a relaxing---and non-paying---hobby, I seem to be in a position of doing work that "makes it easy" for somebody else. When's someone going to make it easy for me?

I suppose it must be disillusioning for a lot of you, having committed to a way-of-submission that appears to work for you, to find someone like myself who raises quesions about, and even defies, certain elements of your process.

I hope the Writers of the Future / Scientology connection does not rise up and bite any of you sometime in the future. I do not consider myself an enemy of theirs---but an important element of any relationship is trust, and, given what I know about them, I cannot give my trust.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When's someone going to make it easy for me?
First off. Wow.

Second:
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum13/HTML/000176.html

quote:
someone like myself who raises questions about, and even defies, certain elements of your process.
It's not our process - it's the industry's process. If you can't beat them, join them. And no, you can't beat them.
quote:
Way back when, the powers-that-be insisted that cover letters were unprofessional.
quote:
Way back when

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited July 30, 2010).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
If you can't beat them, join them.

If you can't lick 'em, lick their boots!

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Robert,

I had approached this thread under the assumption that you were working towards professional publication. Your statement that you're just doing this as a non-paying hobby clears everything up entirely.

Hobbyists play by no rules because there are no standards to meet and no market to break into.

People seeking professional publication and payment have an entirely different equation to grapple with, and I had assumed you were on that road. My mistake.

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Data point from Dean Wesley Smith, who has edited as well as being a pro writer:

One of the unsaid and BIG reasons editors don't send out feedback on every story: too many aspirant authors take this feedback the wrong way, get angry, send anry mail, even threaten the editor. Dean sez that even nice editors who politely word or otherwise constructively critique, learn quickly to just send forms because too many times their honest effort is rewarded with anger, rage, hate, threats of violence, or worse.

Sounds crazy, right? But apparently it's very common. So editors only bother with feedback if they a) see a lot of potential in you and b) are reasonably certain you're not going to send death threats.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

Yes, it's clear that yielding one's principles and submitting in a typeface of an editor's choice rather than the submitter's choice is tantamount to handing over one's first-bown child for sacrifice to the Gods of Whoever-it-is-who-likes-first-born-child-sacrifices. Let other lickspittles and toadies fawn at the feet of the Editor Gods!

Still, one day they'll read my purple-crayon-written bright-yellow-paper (with glitter pictures on every third page), and then who'll be laughing, eh? Eh?

(ETA - ask any big publisher slush reader and they will tell you they really DO get purple-crayon yellow-paper glitter-infested subs, presumably from people who think it will make them "stand out". Oh yes, it'll do that all right...)

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited July 30, 2010).]

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I have only submitted one story to 4 pro paying markets. I got editorial feedback from 2 of them though - one was useful, the other specific enough to definitely not be a form letter, but basically just good story, not for us. I haven't submitted to the big 3 yet, but I like the idea of being able to join SFWA so my short stories only go places that get me cred for that. But it seems like if you really want editorial feedback, maybe switch who your sending it to.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

The problem is, editorial feedback from market X may not help you in selling to market Y.

It's nice to get feedback but if I get things like "this is probably the best-written story I have ever rejected" (which is a genuine quote from a pro rate mag editor), what does that actually mean in terms of helping me sell that story elsewhere?

So I'm no lnger too worried about feedback from editors unless it's of the form "this is nice, but not quite right; however, if you can make these couple of changes I'd be interested in seeing it again". Of course, for some people that might be unpalatable because of their artistic vision, but for other people it might be "wow, someone will atually pay me and then hundreds of people will read my story". Shrug.

SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this would be helpful, but I'm planning to offer detailed critiques to writers who purchase a copy of our latest Triangulation Anthology directly from me. As an editor for an annual anthology, I do have more time than most editors, while still being exposed to a good deal of slush.

Why would I do this?

1. To generate awareness (and sales) for the anthology. PARSEC, which underwrites us, will receive the proceeds. We hope to get the anthology to break-even status this year and take a little pressure off of them.

2. To find new and even better stories for the anthology. We already do a good job (at 2 cents a word), but it usually gets worrisome at the end of the process. Will we have enough stories to fill the collection? This year we barely did.

3. To help authors wanting to break into the anthology better see what we're actually looking for.

4. To help fellow writers as I am able.

I don't demand that the stories be intended for Triangulation, or even that they be genre in nature. I WILL limit them to 5,000 words (per copy purchased?).

If Hatrack folks are interested, let me know below and I'll post to this thread when the full details are ready - should be a couple weeks.

Steve Ramey

Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I would be interested in a professional edit of one of my pieces, and don't have a problem purchasing the anthology to do so.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would be interested too, Steve.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm thinking that "professional standards" are one thing to maintain and another thing to define. One can say I have devoted thirty-five years of my life towards the goal of professional publication, during which time I believe I have conducted myself by professional standards. (Subtracting a number of lapses in the early years of this period.)

But I can look at it as a hobby, from the simple fact that it pays me nothing, and that I have also spent a good deal of money on it over the years.

I'm also thinking that participating in the business of submitting to markets does not mean that I relinquish the right to question how business is done in these markets.

I've seen people grousing about how the Big Three don't take e-submissions. (All right, Asimov's just started.) If you guys can question that, I am certainly free to question other aspects of the process---no matter what they be, or how holy anybody else holds them to be.

DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I am in the corner with Robert in this thread. No real need for a lengthy diatribe. I fully understand the comments to either side and feel that Robert has found a good place to be for himself, fully justified.

People have said to my face that I am stupid for not marketing many of the songs I have written. The recording/music business is the most pathetic, corrupt thing I've ever seen in my life. Strong statement, yes? Maybe you've seen what I have seen of it.

People who hear me perform want to be able to pop in a CD and hear the stuff I only sing live. They don't really care if I make any money, they just use that to try to sway me into the 'brothel'. Robert, I will NOT be swayed because I have determined for myself that it would be wrong for me, Doug. It ain't wrong for Mick Jagger, etc. I wonder what Janis Joplin would have to say about it now, if she could.

I don't mean to say that the publishing business is pathetic and corrupt. I am the youngling where that is concerned, at ground zero.

Ooops... th'diatribe happened anyway.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was thinking along the lines of bluegrass festivals, where the music produced is largely participatory, and the pros unbend enough to play alongside the amateurs.

From what I've seen and heard, though, the music business makes the SF market, and its proprietors, look like the souls of honesty. Mostly it's the money---where the amount of money is large, that's where the sharks go.

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Another big data point, from pro writer and editor Dean Wesley Smith:

http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?p=1664

The short version?

Editors are underpaid, overworked people who try very hard and are never given enough credit by aspirants.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

"I've seen people grousing about how the Big Three don't take e-submissions. (All right, Asimov's just started.) If you guys can question that, I am certainly free to question other aspects of the process---no matter what they be, or how holy anybody else holds them to be. "

It's one thing to question. But by subbing in TNR rather than Courier, you are arguably taking the equivalent step of submitting via email when the guidelines say not to. And I don't think anyone here who has complained about the big three not taking email subs has actually gone "well, email is good enough for me/lots of other markets, so I'll sub to them via email even though they explicitly say not to". They gripe about it, but they either refuse to sub, or they sub according to the guidelines as they exist.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I don't do the electronic submission thing, save for when someone has requested something. (Yes, that's happened.) As for a printed manuscript, I can see no point in conforming to some underpaid editor's notions of what's suitable to read in that format---if I learn they'll reject something because a submitted print MS is in Times New Roman, well, then, I'll just cross them off my list for future submissions.

A bit of philosophy I've picked up (from a Peanuts strip involving Schroeder, I think), was that, in a lifetime of playing music, the joy is in the playing---not anybody's notion of success or failure. I think that's applicable here. Proper publication might be a nice thing to get, but the joy is in the writing.

Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

Robert, you're a hobbyist. You play by your own rules.

Those who have publication as a goal must consider matters of conformity on certain basic aspects of presentation.

SMF dates back to at least the pulp era. It's not any one editor's notion.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.