Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Proper punctuation

Author Topic: Proper punctuation
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
My question involves proper punctuation in the flow of action. For example, in one place in my current novel this bit of dialog occurs:

“What on earth is that?” Miner asked, “and how do we...?” his question was cut short by an unexpected attack.

So the question involves the usage of the question mark in the midst of a piece of dialog that is broken up by attribution. If it were a statement instead of a question, we would use a comma, but is the question mark appropriate in such a situation?

Then there is the second part of the character's sentence, "and how do we...?". If he was interrupted and didn't complete his sentence, the elipses (sp?) are appropriate, but what about the question mark at the end--after all he was asking a question when he was interrupted.

I guess what I'm getting down to, is how would you punctuate that bit of dialog appropriately?

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I think stating that the question was cut short shows that it was a question and the ? isn't needed.

Plus, I don't believe you can put anything beyond an ellipsis because by its very nature its a trail off...

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I am far from a grammar expert, but this is what I think.

You are interrupting the sentence to add the dialog tag, so the dialog tag should be surrounded by commas. Don't end ellipses in a question mark, and capitalize his since it starts a new sentence.

“What on earth is that,” Miner asked, “and how do we....” His question was cut short by an unexpected attack.

But stylistically, I would cut the Minor asked out all together. It is not needed.

“What on earth is that, and how do we...” Minor's question was cut short by an unexpected attack.

That is my opinion. Maybe someone better with grammar could weigh in (philocinemas).

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What on earth is that?” Miner asked, “and how do we...?” his question was cut short by an unexpected attack.

The first question mark is correct IF that is intended to be a complete stop. In other words, if you didn't put the dialog tag there, you would have written:

"What on earth is that? And how do we . . ."

If you would have written:

"What on earht his that and how do we . . ."

Then use commas.

The second question mark is out on two counts. You wouldn't end elipses with a question mark. And if he's truly been interrupted, not just trailed off without finishing, you use a double dash, --, not elipses.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
A single dash denotes a cut off bit of dialogue better, IMO.

"What's out-" The window exploded showering glass...

... = a tail-off. This is good for questions left unfinished.

"Do you think he will...?"

"Yes, he'll survive, Mr. Smith. No thanks to you."

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 09, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am considered an expert; I edit newspaper copy for a living. If you keep the first question mark, you should have a period after the dialogue tag. So, it's either:

"What on earth is that?" Miner asked. "And how do we -"

Or:

"What on earth is that," Miner asked, "and how do we -"

I prefer the former because the latter has no question marks and therefore might be confusing as to whether it is intended as a question.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited October 09, 2010).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to forgive me, but Jennifer stating she edits newspapers brought a smile to my lips. Jen, I know several newspapers in my area that could use a good edit. Some of the worst grammer and punctuation mistakes I've ever seen have been in newspapers .

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited October 09, 2010).]

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jennifer...
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Mistakes? Not in my newspaper!

Crystal, you're probably seeing newspapers that have gotten rid of most of their copy desks. Management in many places has decided that in order to cut costs, copy editors should be among the first staffers to go. Why? Because when we do our jobs right, we're invisible, which results in the impression that we're not needed. So staff cuts are made, the copy editors who are left have time for only a cursory edit on most stories and mistakes slip through.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
"Thanks to all of you," Smaug said. "You've helped me--". The dragon's show of gratitude was cut short because a small halfling had entered the grotto.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with those who've said use a question mark if you would have used a period if it weren't a question, otherwise use a comma.

To indicate cut off dialogue rather than trailing-off dialogue, you use an em-dash, which in manuscript format is usually indicated by two hyphens, like--

(Since keyboards don't have an actual dash character, a double hyphen is used for the em-dash, and a single hyphen is used for the en-dash. Both dashes are longer than a hyphen when typeset.)

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.