Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Q4 Finalists (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Q4 Finalists
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your Finalist entry, NickT. Hopefully you win.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi InarticulateBabbler,

Phew! I was starting to think I had imagined the phone call from Joni…I received the call a few days after Christmas and there were many overly excited screaming children. I was starting to fear that I had misheard Joni and that she’d actually said something like. “You’re not a finalist in the fourth quarter. I just wanted to hear how you pronounced your surname.”

The whole thing is out of my hands now, but it is exciting that KW Wentworth thinks my work has promise. Writing is subjective and I know the line between honourable mention, semi-finalist and finalist is razor thin. Each level is an achievement and a sign that you will break through to the next one at some stage.

I don’t want to do an Oscars’ speech and it’s impossible to single out one person above another, but I owe a huge debt to many Hatrackers for their advice, support and critiquing. I’m sorry for not being a more active member over the last few months, but I have the most beautiful six-month old daughter in the whole world and when I’m not writing, I’m smothering her with kisses.

Regards and thanks,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited January 06, 2011).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, again congrats. I hope we're soon celebrating your win.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on being a finalist and your not so new baby.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Nick!
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Nick. I am not surprised at all. Nice work.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Nick! Fantastic news - Best of luck.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Yea, Nick...Looks like we only got one in this time.

Niiice

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 07, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Crossing my fingers for you Nick, and that wait between hearing the news and being able to talk openly about it can be a little weird!
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Nick!

The idea that Joni would call you to tell you you were NOT a finalist cracked me up. You ought to win just for coming up with that conspiracy theory :-)

Every kiss you plant now will come back to you someday.

Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations--on both being a finalist and your daughter.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Nick! On the story and your baby girl
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck Nick!! Congrats!!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Nick! That is huge.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't "Patrick O'Sullivan of Virginia" our own posulliv?

If so, congrats to both of you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, congrats Nick!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Hatrack seems to be scoring pretty consistently high in WOTF.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't "Patrick O'Sullivan of Virginia" our own posulliv?

Right, that's me, a guy that can't even remember how to quote other posts correctly. Quite a surprise.

[This message has been edited by posulliv (edited January 07, 2011).]

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to you as well, Patrick!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Nick and Patrick!!!
Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Congrats, Patrick!
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Congratulations, Patrick! Didn't catch the full name.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Congratulations, Patrick!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I'll add my congrats to Patrick

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you!
Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Nick and Patrick!!
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to both of you. Well done. Hope you both make winners.

quote:
Hatrack seems to be scoring pretty consistently high in WOTF.

Well, we've got to keep supplying Snapper with titles for the annual WOTF challenges, don't we.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Patrick!

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited January 08, 2011).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!!!! Way to go Nick & Patrick !!!

Hopefully we'll see you're names among the winners real soon.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Patrick!!!
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell?? PATRICK!! I didn't even look at the list, and just assumed that everyone else knew what they were talking about. (And, yes, if everyone said they were going to jump off the cliff, I would join them; clambering to be first, mind you.)

A big BIG heartfelt congratulations to you, Patrick. (A big heartfelt congratulations to Nick, but I don't know you so...no extra big for you.)

FANTASTIC!!

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to both of you!!

You deserve it, Patrick. If they had a bursting heart emoticon, I'd use it. Cheers to you!

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Congrats to Patrick--FIRST PLACE for Q4. A potential gold award winner!

Well done!

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Congrats, Patrick, and good luck going for the grand prize.
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a wrap! I am looking forward to seeing the Volume 27 winners in May!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20110121/bs_prweb/prweb8081259

Still plenty of seats available on flight 28 for Los Angeles. Get your stories in!

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Don't forget to join Codex Writers, Patrick.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Wow! Congratulations!
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to embarrass Patrick here, but I don't care.

I don't think Patrick's had anything published until this. I believe he's had some non-fiction, work-related stuff published, but no fiction. And it couldn't have happened to a better writer. The even worse thing about this is that it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I hate him.

Patrick was in the 2008 OSC Boot Camp class, and it was obvious to me that out of a group of very good writers, Patrick was one of the best. His work has a lyrical flow to it that kind of reminds me of Bradbury before Bradbury became bloated with purplish prose. A hasty comparison perhaps, but one I'm sticking with.

I have no idea what story won, as Patrick has been extremely tight-lipped about it, but I can say with a certain amount of confidence that Patrick has a better than average shot at winning the Grand Prize.

And if that happens, my toadying and sycophantic skills will be on even greater display and second to none.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
posulliv
Member # 8147

Rich is clearly confusing me with someone else. Sure we sat next to each other in class, but the rest of it? Remember, he's a professional writer of fiction.

This award has been both a surprise and a shock. I've won one prize before this; a radio-controlled Mini Cooper in a Dr. Pepper contest.

This is better.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I don't post here as often as I should given how much I get out of the forums. Hatrack has really helped me a lot, you all have helped me a lot. I don't comment on every thread but I've been reading and absorbing. This is a friendly and polite place to spend time with other writers. Kathleen runs a tight ship and I'm glad to be part of the crew.

Skadder, thanks for the recommendation on codex. I'll see if my login still works.

[This message has been edited by posulliv (edited January 22, 2011).]

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take the mini-cooper if you need to make room on that award shelf!

Congrats. You know the last person who finished first in the 4th quarter won it last year...

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

'Skadder, thanks for the recommendation on codex. I'll see if my login still works.'

Does that mean you have previously made a pro-sale? I can't find your name on the list of Codex members.

I'm confused.

posulliv
Member # 8147

Ah, yes. I snuck in the side door.

"...or completion of a major, by-audition-only speculative fiction writing workshop such as Clarion, Odyssey, Literary Boot Camp, Clarion West, etc."

Don't know why my name wouldn't show up.

skadder
Member # 6757

Of course, silly me.
posulliv
Member # 8147

And I've just make my profile visible over there. Apparently stealth lurker mode was set to 'on'.
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Patrick!
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Patrick
Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Sorry you didn't win, Nick. Take example from the many people who have been finalists (some published as well) who go on to win. Best of luck next time.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.