Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Mind-talk punctuation

Author Topic: Mind-talk punctuation
EmilyS
Member # 9447

- posted      Profile for EmilyS   Email EmilyS         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got some characters in my fantasy WIP that communicate telepathically (some can only communicate telepathically), and I'm having trouble deciding the best way to deal with it. Italics, regular quotation marks, other punctuation? I've seen :: or <<>> or even parentheses used, but mostly in sci-fi, I think.

What do you think is easiest to read?

Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion: If they're going to do it all the time, I'd put their thoughts in italics and don't use italics anywhere else. That way it will be easy for the reader to pick it up. If you don't use it for any other purpose than mind talk, I don't think anyone will be confused and it will be simple to write.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

And what if I have to use italics in other places, too? Foreign words, or regular thoughts? (I'm trying to work around it for regular thoughts, but there's no other way to distinguish foreign words).
Posts: 125 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think foreign words will be confusing, so keep them in italics. It is the potential for mixing private and public thoughts that is a potential problem.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen it done with italics but I think I have also seen it done with underlines. But whatever method you use just be sure to use it all the time, which you probably know already.

As to which way is easy to read, I'm not sure. As far as I have noticed they are all about the same with readability .

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elilyn
Member # 9426

- posted      Profile for elilyn   Email elilyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just guessing, but I would say quotation marks and italics for external thoughts and just italics for internal thoughts.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
I never use italics. Whenever I have a thought I usually put...

Character thought "Yada-yada."

That's just personal preference.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the Ender saga. You have telepathic communication in those stories.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen consensus on this. I don't use italics, quotes or any punctuation for internal thoughts.

For telepathy, I would maybe consider using some. I'm not a fan of odd marks and would stick probably with italics.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a lot of different ways of handling it...I'm thinking two things, though. (1) So long as it's consistent throughout, and (2) Any system you come up with will be between you and your editor / publisher to argue about how to handle unless it's really simple...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Check out the Ender saga. You have telepathic communication in those stories.

That was the first time I saw the <> used and I loved it. To me it was the clearest way to do it.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
To me italics or anything like it is a little distracting
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
In his boot camp, OSC expressed a strong dislike for italics, especially in long segments of internal or <external> thoughts, and suggested using other means for denoting these types of things.

He stated that italics are generally disliked by editors and are often glanced over quickly by readers. I believe a fairly accurate paraphrase of something he said was that if you don't want something to be read, then write a whole paragraph in italics.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets try some and see how they look:

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, John I think they are trying to kill me.

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, (John I think they are trying to kill me.)

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, John I think they are trying to kill me.

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, <John I think they are trying to kill me.>

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, "John I think they are trying to kill me."

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, {John I think they are trying to kill me.*

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, *John I think they are trying to kill me*.

Amelia kept her eyes forward but her thoughts were toward John, §John I think they are trying to kill me§.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited April 10, 2011).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there should be a period behind the first John in every example.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmilyS
Member # 9447

@philocinemas -- I think I have some of that same dislike for italics, hence my question (since italics seem like the default answer).

@Pyre Dynasty -- Thanks for the examples

I guess it'll partly depend on how much of it I use, but I think I'm leaning toward <this>, especially if I end up with big chunks of mind-dialogue. As an added bonus, it'll be easy to do a find & replace if I don't like it later.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.